Hello Guest

What options should I order -- what do you wish you ordered?

• 35 Replies

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
Re: What options should I order -- what do you wish you ordered?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 05:55:42 pm »
Re, keyless entry: If you have it be cautious using it within a large parking lot when leaving your RV. They now have code catchers where someone close by can catch the keyless entry code as you lock up and then rob the vehicle. Mike Wendland who does Roadtreking videos and podcasts was robbed in that manner of around $12K of items in just a few minutes from his Roadtrek.
Mike & Pat Astley,

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »
jatrax: really interestec in shelf with ledge to be mounted over the head of the bed. You have to post pics and details.
I have a number of things they did for me that I have been holding off showing until I actually take delivery.  Do not want to jinx anything :)

The shelf is one and I will post a complete report after we take delivery.

One caution though is that the more you customize, or perhaps personalize, anything the higher the potential to reduce the re-sale value.  A standard 'generic' coach, or house appeals to a wider audience when selling.  Something designed for a specific person or purpose has a smaller audience and potentially a harder time finding a buyer.  In our case we designed the coach specifically for our needs knowing that up front. 

tnedator

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:26 pm »
Thanks everyone. A lot of foods for thought.

Yes, I was talking about the electric awnings without arms that are becoming common on coaches.

On batteries, I was thinking two 12v AGM batteries, so if one bit the dust, I would lose capacity but not my whole 12v system. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

If I get the euro chair in the 2552, is there still room to turn half the sofa into a bed with the slide closed?

Ron, I'll check our that thread you linked to and I've tread a number of your posts on other forums. You are a great ambassador for PC.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 01:27:10 am »
On batteries, I was thinking two 12v AGM batteries, so if one bit the dust, I would lose capacity but not my whole 12v system. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
You are not wrong but in the real world the likelihood of that event happening someplace you could not in a day or so get new batteries is pretty slim.  One of those things that gets argued on the internet because it is technically correct, but just doesn't matter.

There are varying opinions on batteries:
1) Only buy Costco golf cart batteries, they are cheap, rugged and work well.
2) Only buy pairs of 6volt batteries, they are 'better' than 12volt
3) Only buy pairs of 12volt batteries, if one fails you still have one
4) Only buy AGM batteries because they are 'better', somehow
5) Only buy regular lead acid, all this new AGM stuff is just fluff to make you spend more money
6) Only buy Lithium, lead acid is so last century

I've read them all and more from folks positive they are right.  My theory is buy the best battery for the purpose at the best price and don't sweat it.  More important is actually understanding the technology and charging cycle of the battery you are using.  Tune your charger to what the battery manufacturer recommends.  One thing I already regret is not insisting on replacing the standard Parallax converter with a more modern 3 or 4 stage one.  Used improperly you can fry your batteries on old tech single stage chargers without really understanding why.

Here is a good read on batteries: https://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html

And another one: http://www.jackdanmayer.com/Batteries_and_charging.html

budlight

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 11/2016
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:40 am »
  Not correct about the code catchers.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 08:07:01 am »
 Not correct about the code catchers.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/lockcode.asp

I like snopes but their article is talking about first generation code catchers from several years ago and viral stories of unknown origen. Mike Wendland's robbery happened about a year ago with a near new RV. His is a personal account from someone well pubished. Unfortunately his reports are on podcasts not youtubes that I could find.

The speed with which they broke into his rig was surprising and the police told him they believed a code catcher was used.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:11:47 am by gandalf42 »
Mike & Pat Astley,

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 08:35:29 am »
"There are varying opinions on batteries:
5) Only buy regular lead acid, all this new AGM stuff is just fluff to make you spend more money
6) Only buy Lithium, lead acid is so last century"

Great summary!  (exactly)

"I've read them all and more from folks positive they are right."  yep, they are all right and what ever you choose you are wrong!  roflol

"My theory is buy the best battery for the purpose at the best price and don't sweat it.  More important is actually understanding the technology and charging cycle of the battery you are using.  Tune your charger to what the battery manufacturer recommends.  One thing I already regret is not insisting on replacing the standard Parallax converter with a more modern 3 or 4 stage one.  Used improperly you can fry your batteries on old tech single stage chargers without really understanding why. "

I can't figure why PC is using a Parallax converter/charger. Parallax's webpage tells you nothing about the charging profile and as far as I know they are still using the cheap 2 stage charging. When I first got the Born Free (which had a Parallax in that early model) I was blithefully dumb and left the RV plugged in too long and fried the batteries. That was my first education on charger/controllers. i replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics converter/charger and the batteries with Lifeline AGMs (which are the only AGMs I know of that like an equalization) and can now leave the RV plugged in at home for months at a time.

You need to know what you want to charge and how to charge it correctly both in regards to converter/chargers and if you go solar, the solar charger.

The Parallax can work fine if you keep an eye on the water levels of regular lead acid batteries and if you employ a separate charger to periodically do an equalization. But..for a few dollars more PC could have gone to a better charger.  (WH)
Mike & Pat Astley,

tnedator

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 05:03:55 pm »
I definitely need to read up on batteries and chargers.  I will admit to liking the idea of AGM so I don't have to check the water and such (call me lazy, but I haven't checked water levels in a batter in a very long time, so it's never on my mind). 

On AC's.  I think I am unlikely to find myself in death valley or the like, but I suppose some day could wind up in AZ, Grand Canyon area, etc.  More likely, would be Arkansas, TX, FL where we can get 95-105 temps with mid to high humidity. 

In a 2552, do I really need to AC units or will a 15k unit with heat pump cover it for TX/FL/AR type summer trips?

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 06:12:04 pm »
We went for the single 15k unit with heat pump.  Whether that is smart I will tell you in a year:) 

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 11:03:56 pm »
Ok, i'm getting close to pulling the trigger on my first RV and a PC.  Likely a 2551 or 2552.

As PC is very accommodating with changes unlike most other companies, I want to make sure I get it right. 

What I'm really wondering about is non standard options.  So, not talking about full body paint or levelers, but instead items like Gandalf described in his thread (pure sine inverter, extra backer board in places, etc.).

Some of the items I have so far:

110, USB and 12v outlets in cubbies over head side of twin beds.
Possibly a little flip down ledge for cell phone/alarm clock near head of bed
All 110 outlets tied into inverter
110 outlet near (behind) passenger seat if there isn't one already
Solar panels and charging system
AGM batteries
Insulate/heat Sanicon pump
AC w/heat pump (not sure if I need two HVACs for southern US/Florida type travel). Someone mentioned the Coleman fan not cycling on/off (so less annoying at night), need to investigate that.
Side cameras
Maybe collision avoidance/lane departure (need to read more of how this works in E450 setup).

Seems like there are a few more things, but that's what comes to mind at the moment. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what I should consider.

If you live in Florida.. Up the A/C from the 13,000but to the 15,000 btu.   The 13,000 can't quite keep up in my 2551 once the outside temp is about 85 or so.   
---
Don and Patti

tnedator

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 07:40:00 am »
If you live in Florida.. Up the A/C from the 13,000but to the 15,000 btu.   The 13,000 can't quite keep up in my 2551 once the outside temp is about 85 or so.   

I live in Arkansas, but will travel to and stay in it in FL or other similar climates (Arkansas is quite often 95-105 with heat index in the 100-110 range in the summer). 

So, you think a single 15,000 BTU unit will cool a 2552 even when the temp tops 100?  I would like to avoid the extra hole in the room and take away from room I might use for Solar that will come with adding a second unit.

Thanks

Pax

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 08:56:33 am »
In our real world experience with a 2552 and a 15,000btu A/C unit (non-heat pump) while camping in 90-100 degree weather, we can generally assume a maximum 20-25 degree differential between indoor and outdoor temps.  Heat loads play a huge role though.  In our case it is two humans, two small pets, some lighting, tv, shades drawn, usually parked in the sun.  Our preference would be two non-heat pump A/C units for the additional cooling capacity as well as the option of using just one (the smaller unit would be quieter) when highest capacity isn't required.  With one unit in a hot climate, (as long as possible) we ensure we have the cab A/C cranked up while parking and setting up.

- Mike

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 09:11:53 am »
"So, you think a single 15,000 BTU unit will cool a 2552 even when the temp tops 100?  I would like to avoid the extra hole in the room and take away from room I might use for Solar that will come with adding a second unit."

Been there in a 30 ft class A, granted more volume but was also better insulated, thicker walls and much thicker roof.  Bottom line, one AC won't keep wife happy in those temps except maybe a no slide 2100.

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:26 am »
The armless Carefree awnings are very cool and you do not constantly wack your head on the sliding arms used on PC's awnings.   The wind/rain sensor is all so nice since there is really nothing that holds the armless awaning donw if a heavy wind came up.  i have the armless carefree on my Renegade and it works very well. good luck
Ron Goodspeed

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 10:29:07 am »
I definitely need to read up on batteries and chargers.  I will admit to liking the idea of AGM so I don't have to check the water and such (call me lazy, but I haven't checked water levels in a batter in a very long time, so it's never on my mind).
Regarding 6V batteries or 12V batteries.  Phoenix installs 2-6V batteries these days and that is a very good thing because they are taller.  The extra height requires Phoenix to use a taller battery compartment.  If you later decide you want to try 2-12V batteries, I believe the battery compartment will easily accommodate them.

Our 10 year old PC battery compartment was designed for 2-12V batteries.  Changing over to 6V batteries creates a very tight fit after sacrificing the battery tray, forcing me into AGM batteries to avoid the need to check fluid levels.

You are not wrong but in the real world the likelihood of that event happening someplace you could not in a day or so get new batteries is pretty slim.  One of those things that gets argued on the internet because it is technically correct, but just doesn't matter.

There are varying opinions on batteries:
6) Only buy Lithium, lead acid is so last century

I've read them all and more from folks positive they are right.  My theory is buy the best battery for the purpose at the best price and don't sweat it.

Being one of the few long time (10 year) PC owners here with a whole house inverter, who almost exclusively camps without hook-ups, and who has gone through two pairs of 12V batteries and has been on his first pair of 6V AGM batteries the past 2 camping seasons, I think I can offer some practical PC-specific experience.

I can't comment on wet acid 6V batteries because I have never owned them.  But I can say that it was noticable right from the start that we have more capacity with the pair of 6V AGM batteries than with 12V wet acid.  I also can say that the drain and recharge of the deep cycle 6V AGM batteries is more linear and predictable than experienced with both pairs of deep cycle wet acid 12V batteries.

The benefit of a pair of 12V batteries instead of 6Vs is of coarse you can place the premature dead one out of service.  But isn't it better to have an arrangement where you eliminate the premature death of a battery?  My experience with both sets of 12V batteries, one starts to go bad as soon as the acid boil-overs starts.  In my case with both new 12V pairs, that started happening during the first season of use.  During or after the second season, one battery is showing serious signs of becoming ill, so I might have done better with just using the remaining healthy battery at that time.  I instead continued to stretch the pair two additional seasons for a total of 4 seasons for each 12V pair.  Needless to say that season #4 was pretty frustrating.

I am hopeful to get more than 4 "good" seasons from our pair of 6V AGM batteries.  So far it is looking very promising.  I am really hoping to get 8 good seasons from them.  We'll see if it happens.....ask me how they are doing 6 years from now.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:55:08 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer