Hello Guest

What options should I order -- what do you wish you ordered?

• 35 Replies

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
Re: What options should I order -- what do you wish you ordered?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 11:50:06 am »
Our 6V Lifeline AGMs are at 10 1/2 years now but there was a noticeable decline in the 10th year.

I have always kept them above the 50% charge level except for once when I was watching the charge % on the battery monitor and suddenly realized that by battery voltage the charge was much lower.

Lesson learned: Don't totally rely on the charge % of a battery monitor.  Check occasionally against a battery voltage vs. charge level chart.
Mike & Pat Astley,

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 11:59:19 am »
As I understand the battery thing, there is no difference in performance between a pair of 6 volt and a pair of 12 volt assuming they are constructed the same and contain the same amount of lead and thickness of plates.  But that is the issue, most 6 volts are designed for deep cycle applications like golf carts and most, but not all, 12 volts deep cycle are more a compromise.  There are (I have been told) 12 volt deep cycle ones that are just as good as the 6 volt, but they are harder to find and cost more.  So bottom line, in general a pair of 6 volt batteries is going to be better for this application, and likely cost less than the equivalent 12 volt ones.

I suspect the problem for most RV'ers having early battery failure is the old style, single stage converter still being used.  If plugged in for any length of time these will boil your batteries, and then it is all down hill from there.  Used in a normal 'camping' scenario where you are using power as fast as you put it back this is not a problem (usually) but if plugged in for a long time the batteries get boiled and then with each consecutive charge cycle it gets easier to boil them and the cycle spirals down into premature failure.

Having a battery monitor and modern 3 stage charger will go a long way to prevent this and extend the life of your batteries.  I wish I had thought this through when I ordered as I would have swapped out the converter for a newer one.  I will likely do that as soon as I get the rig back home.  Cost is maybe $200 and that is far less than a new pair of 6 volt AGMs.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2017, 02:33:11 pm »
I am unable to prove this with either previous pair of 12V batteries, but I had always suspected one battery would take all the abuse while the other battery was protected by the abused one.  I always made sure the battery cables were hooked up properly so the load was shared equally.

What we have now with two 6V batteries hooked up in series, the load (and abuse) is forced to be equally shared.  It is not possible for one battery to take on the worst of the load while the other battery is not utilized properly.

That is just my theory.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:35:13 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

tnedator

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:55 pm »
In our real world experience with a 2552 and a 15,000btu A/C unit (non-heat pump) while camping in 90-100 degree weather, we can generally assume a maximum 20-25 degree differential between indoor and outdoor temps.  Heat loads play a huge role though.  In our case it is two humans, two small pets, some lighting, tv, shades drawn, usually parked in the sun.  Our preference would be two non-heat pump A/C units for the additional cooling capacity as well as the option of using just one (the smaller unit would be quieter) when highest capacity isn't required.  With one unit in a hot climate, (as long as possible) we ensure we have the cab A/C cranked up while parking and setting up.

- Mike

This is what I was thinking.  Earl said he thought one 15k would be sufficient, but did say he didn't tend to go places personally when it was that hot. 

I'm envisioning problems in Arkansas when we have those brutal July/Augusts if we head up to the lake for the weekend.  That said, I'm not sure if the state parks will have power or if they do, 50 amp, so that's another issue.  I guess one possibility would be one 15k heat pump, to get the max possible when the generator will only support one unit, but then also a second, possibly even 13k AC only 2nd unit for when I am hooked to 50 amp service.

tnedator

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2017, 08:35:23 pm »
on the keyless item - you can have them order your Chassis from Ford with Ford options.  might add a little more front end time for it to arrive.  I did the special chassis - but not the keyless.  I wanted the Ford Sync package as I wanted the bluetooth for my phone and a USB port - but did not want to order the whole Sirrus/Navigation package from PC.  While I was at it for just a few dollars I added in the Daytime running lights and the switch that allows me to turn off the passenger air bag (dangerous to have it armed if I have one of the dogs in a seat belt in that seat).

Did you get the Ford Sync?  Does it support Android Auto to use Google Maps on the display?

Does anyone know if the Pioneer model they install is one of the Pioneer's that supports Android Auto?  How good are the map updates on the Pioneer?  Most car updates suck.

catsaplenty

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: Sand
  • ExtColor: Full body paint, mostly silver - lower gray. No decals. No swirls
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 11:53:59 pm »
Did you get the Ford Sync?  Does it support Android Auto to use Google Maps on the display?

Sync does not include any type of maps screen.   I will be using a separate GPS so I can also transfer it to the car.