Hello Guest

2017 version slide out - a River Runs Thru It?

• 20 Replies

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: 2017 version slide out - a River Runs Thru It?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 11:06:06 pm »
Just returned from our first rain trip in our 2017 2552 and the river did run through it.
Ron and Belinda, did your leak occur while parked or while driving?  I believe there are two separate issues here, I don't think my leak is the same as catsaplenty's as mine only happens while driving.

Lakedog

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2017
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 04:14:01 pm »
If folks with leaks while driving (on 2017 model slides) haven't been in contact with Kermit lately, it seems they may have figured out the leaking slides.  I have a 2017 2100 with slide and it leaked while driving.  Kermit said that they took one apart that had leaked and decided that it was due to a change in the gasket or seal used around the slide frame (the opening for the slide).  The solution seems to be applying silicone along the top seam (above where the screws are visible).  Bobby applied silicone when I went to the factory to get some other items corrected.  So far no leak but haven't been in really heavy rain yet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:47:39 pm by Lakedog »

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 01:31:24 pm »
Just to add to this for anyone searching in the future.

It appears the leak is caused by a combination of the new gasket AND the front drip spout directing water backward like a funnel right at that seam.  Without the drip spout forcing water at the seam while driving I doubt there would be much of an issue as the slide topper covers that area well.  But the drip spout forces the water back under the slide topper, right at the seam and any fault or gap in the seam allows a leak.

Solution per Kermit is to fill the back end of the drip spout with silicone so no water can go that way and to run a bead of silicone all along the top seam.

gl1500

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May. 2014
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2551/2014
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Cafe'
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »
I noticed on the wing  behind the drivers seat a rusty streak from the tank monitor down to the floor.  I unscrewed the monitor and found four rusty screws and wet insulation in the area behind the monitor.  I checked all the caulking in the wing area and found nothing.  Got a ladder and looked at the roof in the wing/cap area.  I found an area over the wing area that had a slight imperfection in the sealant apparently allowing a place for water intrusion.  Cleaned and resealed.  No more leaks.  Have not had any leaks associated with the slideout.   
     Another problem I had was on the fresh water hookup on the drivers side(2551).  I installed a quick disconnect  so I could just "plug in" and remove the hose without having to screw it on and off the coach.  Well, the next year I needed to remove the quick disconnect from the coach water fitting.  Could not unscrew it, it was welded in place.  Turns out it was dissimilar metals and electrolysis welded them together.  Apparently my quick disconnect was aluminum and the coach fitting was probably steel.  Had to buy the whole mechanism from PC.   I had had PC  cut an opening into the wall where these water hookups are located under the bed on the drivers side . The panel is held in place with turn buttons.  Really came in handy to replace the water control board.  I also had them install, inside the same wall, shut-offs for the outside shower so in the winter after they are blown out I don't have to worry about freezing.
        Bob

Pax

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 04:35:54 pm »
Dissimilar metals.....not something we think about all that much.   Thanks for the reminder, Bob!

TomHanlon

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »
I also use the quick connect, but mine is the cheap plastic type. I put it on and take it off every time I hook up or unhook the hose.  No worry about killing treads every time I put it on the PC or it locking on. I got it as it gives me more for these old hands to grip.