• PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
LED Lights too bright?
« on: April 22, 2017, 07:10:53 am »
Our interior LED ceiling lights were too bright, surgical suite like.   As far I know there was no way to dim the output.  I read a post on another form about light filter film.  Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B780F4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works well.  One sheet did all the interior lights except bathroom and over-sink, which we wanted to keep bright anyway.

I cut the film to it fit into the diffuser/cover.  The film comes with a tissue paper like separator, we installed the film WITH the tissue paper and the light output is much much better.  If too dim, you can remove the tissue paper.

Now don't tell me there is a way to dim the lights.....

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
Re: LED Lights too bright?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:03 am »
We also found the LED lights too bright. I just removed the cover and found there were two LED panels so just disconnected one of them. Much better.

fandj

• View Profile
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 07:43:00 am »
Like you we found the led lights excessively bright.  Almost to the point of needing sunglasses while inside ;) To reduce the intensity I just disconnected one light in each fixture.  I also found some of the lights cause interference with the TV.  Even with one bulb disconnected I found the current draw was about 5 times more than what I had seen on a previously owned travel trailer with led lights.  While the current draw is not an issue when one has access to shore power but as a boondocker I am always looking for ways to conserve battery power.

Having too much light is a better problem than not enough but I think there is a potential to make improvements.  It would be nice to have a switch to allow operating either off one of the high output bulbs or off of a lower output (lower current draw) bulb.  It would also be nice to have properly shielded bulbs to prevent RFI issues with the TV.

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:54:05 am »
Fandj, where are you in Virginia?

TomHanlon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:27:02 am »
I cut the film to it fit into the diffuser/cover.  The film comes with a tissue paper like separator, we installed the film WITH the tissue paper and the light output is much much better.  If too dim, you can remove the tissue paper.

Now don't tell me there is a way to dim the lights.....

Could the heat from the LED lights cause the tissue paper to catch fire?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:18 am »
I had converted our 9 florescent light fixtures to LED (adding a night light feature in each), detailed HERE, and quickly learned you can have too much light.  Fortunately I was able to address it properly by disabling LED circuits.

Your idea with a light diffuser is interesting for factory original LED units.  As Tom mentioned, LEDs can get very hot.  I would remove the tissue paper.

For curious PC owners with older florescent lighting....
Converting from florescent to LED reduced energy usage from lighting by nearly half.  It also warmed up the interior's ambiance with warm white light instead of the harsh florescent light that liked to resonate when the batteries were drained just a bit.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:59:33 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

HenryJ

• All ready for the road
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
  • ModelYear: 2016 / 2910T
  • IntColor: Hickory (light)
  • ExtColor: graystone
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 04:26:49 pm »
We have a 2910T bought new one year ago... so whatever the lights were we have them and if you are in need for a surgical parlor we have the lights bring on the scalpal and the patient. We do not use our lights much...dislike them with a passion. We have a dinette lamp we bought years ago for class A dining area so now it has a down sized new home... and another newer one for the bedroom. You can have too much light even for putting on the wrinkle remover cream. The new lights we saw last week at PC look like a great improvement. Jim thought he might paint the lens covers and make them more usable but so far his test tints have not met his demanding requirements. We do however love the light strip under the awning. I slightly open the awning just a fraction to allow it to light and it does a beautiful lighting job outside especially for a dog P before bedtime... And of course if the awning is out it is great too. But not usually an overnight thing. From what I saw they must know..the new lights look like an improvement. Patricia
Patricia
A new day has dawned now only traveling with Miss Elle . Jim will be watching over us.

CKK

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 05:45:34 pm »
I'm curious about this, as I just saw three new rigs at the FMCA show in Indy, and I thought the led lights were still terribly bright...I even asked Earl about them.  But you think they're better than your 2016's? 

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 07:33:56 am »
Just picked up our 2015 2552X two days ago. There are now LED strip lights in the slide out,  above the euro chair, and above both beds. Will have to try the dimming tape. Disconnected half of all other LEDs.

renotse

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/29/2017
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Greystone/Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Greystone retro
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 09:56:23 am »
My 2552 is on the line being built. One of the non standard items Kermit agreed to try on my coach is rotary dimmers on two main lights. One in the main room and one in the bedroom. My previous LTV coach had this on their main switches. I know it is difficult to dim LEDs and special switches and bulbs are required, but I ponied up the $ and challenged PC to do it. We shall see in October if it was sucessful.

mhoecker

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 14, 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »
Did they install your rotary dimmer switches for you, Renotse?  If so, how are they working?  I had asked for them but was told not available.

Madonna

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 08:53:27 am »
My LED light conversion done on the earlier florescent fixtures, I added a POT (potentiometer) in the fixture over the dining table.  The component was bigger than anticipated and so it has a slight angle to it as seen in the attached picture.  I am glad that fixture has it, and glad the others don't.  Adjusting the brightness on it is not linear like dimmers at home.  It is very sensitive in the adjustment where I wished it wasn't, and not sensitive where I wish it was.  It's not perfect but it does the job.

I added night lights in all 9 fixtures, and we love that feature.  When getting up in the middle of the night, we turn on the night light in the bathroom as not to blind ourselves.  During the evening, we turn the night lights on all unused lights to provide a warm & cozy atmosphere along with the convenience of seeing everything all the time.  All night lights combined is roughly 3 watts which is 50% that of one fixture in the normal setting.

I am not familiar with current-day LED interior fixtures, but if they have a normal setting and a low night light setting, I feel that would be a great alternative to a dimmer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:05:20 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

fandj

• View Profile
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »
This post outlines a rather simple modification to have either low or high light intensity option.

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,2887.msg23704.html#msg23704

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »
Ron, do you remember what you used for your dimmer pots?  Everything on Amazon related to dimming LED strips has additional circuitry, not sure why.  What ohms range did you use?