• PurchDate: January 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: light
  • ExtColor: white
Trip around lake Michigan
« on: April 23, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
any one been following the water around lake michigan? Will go to Elkhart and then north all the way up along the shore line then down 75 to ford museum. Any one have any tips?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Trip around lake Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
My wife and I did a 360 degree trip around Lake Michigan in 2011, from the Chicago area north through Michigan and back south through Wisconsin.  We quickly got into "light houses".  We also enjoyed Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks National Seashore, the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum which had much on the Edmund Fitzgerald, and great affordable golfing near Interlochen. 
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Tall Guy

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/23/2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Desert sand
  • ExtColor: Toast, lower body paint
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 01:13:01 pm »
My wife and I have several favorites along Lake Michigan.  First is Ludington State Park with three nice camping areas (Beechwood is our favorite), several miles of hiking ranging from a stroll along the river to really hoofing it through the woods, and two beautiful beaches.  Second is Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore with two nice camping areas semi-modern (Platte River) and rustic (D.H. Day), a very nice visitor center, a scenic drive, as well as many many miles of varied hiking trails.  We were there just this past weekend and the wildflowers are barely starting.  Our favorite camping spot on Lake Michigan is third on this list and it's Leelanau State Park which is a very nice rustic campground right where Lake Michigan and Grand Traverse Bay meet.  There are a few miles of trails that take you through the woods but it's mostly a place to enjoy creation's beauty.  The Straits of Mackinac is also a nice area and depending on when you're there you could run into some neat historical demonstrations.  If you get there don't forget the fudge!  If you're running down I-75 Bay City State Recreation area is a worthwhile stop with its semi-modern camping, nature center, bay front beaches, and the Tobico Marsh hiking trails.  Bay City is also home to the USS Edson which is a destroyer located in the bay. It is open daily for tours and is really a neat addition to the Bay City area!  http://www.ussedson.org/

Hope this helps, have a great trip!!

Gary

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 05:47:54 pm »
Without a doubt take the Pictured Rocks boat tour...that is the best way to see it all.  We also did the glass bottom boat tour of the sunken ships which can be seen in the clear cold water.  The wrecks are a Nationally protected area that allows exploring diving but no salvaging/souvenir hunting.  Oh, be sure to tryaCornish pastie.  :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:08:41 am »
I "second" that boat tour.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:42 am »
A few years back when we were up there we tried to take the boat tour around picture rocks. After driving from the locks to there, we were informed that it was school tour day and the boat would be full of 7th and 8th grade kids. The nice lady said it could be rather noisy. We passed. So call ahead before driving there to make sure it is what you want. Some day we hope to get back there and take the tour.

Tall Guy

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/23/2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Desert sand
  • ExtColor: Toast, lower body paint
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:50:10 am »
I whole heartedly agree with the Pictured Rocks boat cruise if you're going to add in some of the Lake Superior area to your trip.  Make sure to check on their operating season though, if memory serves me correctly they're regular daily schedule starts mid May and ends mid September.  Fayette State park on the north shore of Lake Michigan on the east side of the bays De Noc is a really cool place depicting an old iron smelting town.  The town is partially rebuilt with nice displays telling what when and how everything happened.  They also have a fairly nice campground which I believe now has a full facility bathroom, new as of last year.  Checking the operating schedule for Fayette would be a good idea too.

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 03:44:59 pm »
Last year when we ordered our PC the did the drive/camp up the western coast of MI to the UP, the painted Rock tour and then into Canada. Muskegon SP, Traverse City SP, Petosky SP, Tunnel of Trees Scenic Heritage Route, Wilderness SP, Tahquamenon Falls SP, Brimely SP, Agaway Bay Provincial Park, then back to Presque Isle SP, Harrisville SP, Tawas Point SP, & finally Frankenmuth before heading home. Great trip. Wish we hade Bob then!
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.