Hello Guest

Huge wall of water on Ohio turnpike....breakdown!

• 2 Replies

Nancy and or Jake

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 8/31/16
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
Huge wall of water on Ohio turnpike....breakdown!
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:04:07 am »
We drove through several torrential down-pours, and aside from not being able to SEE, we made it through alright. That is until a semi with, apparently no mud flaps, sped past us and sent a wall of water up at us that shook the rig and almost sent us off the road. I kept us on the road, and after some mighty cursing at that guy I thought we were in the clear. In a matter of moments, the dashboard lit up with every warning light there is, and we started bucking and the engine began missing, and we were losing power fast.  We limped off a nearby exit ramp, but the engine quit before we could clear it.
Our always reliable rig was in full fail. I was freaking out a bit because it was already 5 oclock, and i was sure we would be there for the night. Calls to our insurance roadside assistance  number was mostly useless; our fault because we don't have RV specific coverage, YET.
The sun came out, and a very nice guy in a pickup stopped and when I explained how we came to be there, he smiled and laughted......you're  gonna be fine, he said. Give it a half hour or so, and I guarantee you it will start right up.

He was wrong, it took 45 minutes!  Started up after a few tries, the lights all went out, and we were back on the road.
Lessons learned?
Happy trails
Nancy

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Huge wall of water on Ohio turnpike....breakdown!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 11:38:21 am »
That is downright SCARY.

Glad it all worked out for you but a lesson for all.

Nancy and or Jake

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 8/31/16
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
Re: Huge wall of water on Ohio turnpike....breakdown!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:46:30 pm »
Definately.  Who knew the E450 could be disabled that way.