• PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
Re: Curious as to those of you who down sized
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 07:32:26 pm »
Didn't downsize here, but don't like the Pushers as they don't protect driver, passenger much. Not much steel protection.   

Saying that, I have also, as others here as mentioned, tried to keep a short profile for getting into the Nation Forests, ETC.

If ones desires is to just do commercial campgrounds, than stay Big.

But if on is to wanting to see the great outdoors that our Lord has given us, then we need to stay smaller and agile.

We do pull a 12 foot enclosed trailer that houses a UTV side by side, that gives us even more agility once at our destination.

We just arrived home safely today, after a 6 month stay in Arizona. Yep, 6 months in our little 2350 PC.  Was not a problem for us.

Put 4000+ miles on the PC to get to Arizona and back home to Wisconsin, But, But... 2300 miles on the UTV/side by side, exploring the many God designed beauties and creations, there in Arizona.   God is Good!   (maybe even a bit depressed, now that am home?)

Denny and Barb...
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

HenryJ

• All ready for the road
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016 / 2910T
  • IntColor: Hickory (light)
  • ExtColor: graystone
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:53 am »
One more thought, the class A was easier to drive.  When you learn you are in front of the wheels and  are careful about your turns etc. It had no safety features  other than seat belts . the PC does have air bags to protect the old bag driving. (Me) The PC does not Handle as well even with the safety steer unit they picked to meet my request. Have to wonder if a different one that was not so skimpy might make handling better.
Have had no message from PC regarding the fix for the radio.  They did tell me if I wanted to go to Ford as another PC customer-friend did I could pay the bill. So far I have paid all the bills. New upholstery for the dinette which was a disaster, repairing the slide auger and frayed wires, still have the leak I guess have not done anything about that try to keep dinette slide closed if any rain. I prefer not to be. On a tall ladder. We do have 2500 miles now. Getting youst to the non automatic jacks... You need more skills than a class A since your inverter is just that does not charge anything will eat your battery so ours has been off. The class A version had to be Battery charger Inverter we had it on 5 years and never a flat anything. This one just transfers your battery power to house voltage. So ours is still OFF.   
So even to go to this from class A you need some info that is not right in front of you so it goes without a hiccup. You can travel places you once did not but  still have to watch the limitations in parks. Our 2 noisy AC units have worked well and we have heat too so that has been a saving grace.

You may need some alterations from straight off the floor to meet your needs to keep traveling in comfort.
we have Oxygen concentrator on board for Mr. So having extra elec plugs works well and 50 Amp as. Well.
We are 6 months from making a determination was it a good move or not. And no matter it has to work for us now we have it .  PWS
Patricia
A new day has dawned now only traveling with Miss Elle . Jim will be watching over us.

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 11:07:35 am »
The red wire is hot 12 volt from the chassis. I couldn't find a 12 volt camper source near the radio.

Dave

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 2015
  • ModelYear: 2015
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 09:19:32 am »
We down sized from a 40foot Allegro bus. We started with a Volkswagen westfalia-Lazy Daze 20foot class C-24foot Safari trek-33foot Safari Sahara-Safari Zanzibar 40 foot to the bus. We were full timers for 17 years.  We now drive a PC 2552.  It's wonderful and has worked out well.  The first summer was 4 months and the second was 5 months.  No problems for us re: space.  We still carried more than we needed. The big change for us was re-learning how to load a coach for a trip.  We used to unplug and then go.  Betty hates the noisy air conditioner and I miss the 150 gallon fuel tank. Because we usually
  stay in a campground for a week or so we use the slinky hose more than the Sanicon, the 2552. works very easily for that. lived on small boats for20 years before rv's came into our lives so living in a small spaces is normal.  All in all, the change has been good, the PC has been good and the service wonderful. As a side remark, we chose the dinette for many reasons and we notice reading here that folks worry about losing the pantry.  Not to worry the dinette two humungus drawers under the seats. Sooo, just get rid of the junk you're carrying around and include simplifying along with the downsizing.

Dave

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 05:24:13 pm »
HenryJ,   I wasn't happy with the handling of my 2552 either. I just installed hellwig front and rear sway bars and was surprised on how much difference in made. I still have to install the Koni Shocks and safe steer. Just a matter of finding time. However if they make half as much difference again as the sway bars did it will be like night and day.

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 06:42:21 am »
Downsized from 34' Class A Diesel pusher with 2 slides, air suspension, 100 gal fuel, 100 gal water, 9 mpg.  It was perfect for 2-3 people, 4 dogs, drove like a dream...but when everything changed to 1 person, two dogs, I found it was too much coach for me to travel in and take care of alone.  My ~23' PC with 158" wheelbase and no slides gives me everything I need and nothing I don't, and also drives and rides perfectly.  Although I did 100% of the driving and was confident and comfortable with the ClassA, it require lots of preplanning for route, fueling, parking, etc, just because of it's size.  The PC has a driving and functional comfort level (for me) of any large conversion van or truck.

The things I miss (none of which are deal breakers): the quieter (but not quiet) ducted AC, the quiet diesel generator that could handle infinite dry camping in any temperature, more fuel/water/waste tank capacity, better visibility from the wider/higher driving position, larger refrigerator. 

What I don't miss: Slides, even though mine worked perfectly, there was constant maintenance/cleaning/lubrication, fiddling with them to get the coach leveled just the right way so they wouldn't leak, replacing the seals every few years, etc.   I also hated fueling in the truck bays.  General maintenance and consumables (tires, fluids, etc) were also much more expensive with the big rig than with the Ford (which is compatible in price and complexity to any modern vehicle, IMO).

Ann
Ann W.

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 11:08:26 am »
The red wire is NOT house power. It is full time 12 volts from the chassis (Ford) . At the time I changed it over, I could not find a 12 volt source from the coach without running a separate wire so used the red wire which was in the Ford bundle with the yellow wire which was hot with ignition only. Hope this helps.

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:23 pm »
Downsized from 34' Class A Diesel pusher with 2 slides, air suspension, 100 gal fuel, 100 gal water, 9 mpg.
Ann
Nine mpg is what our 2552 gets!
John and Carol

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 08:42:05 pm »
Trip average for us is ~9.5 towing our Jeep.....2007-E350, 2007-2350
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:00 pm »
Our 2350 is our downsized house for 6 months of the winter months, from our 4000 sq ft home back in Wisconsin, which is our summer home. Is the 2350 a compromise?  Yep it is, but when in the Warm Sunny climate of Arizona, one does not spend much time in the RV.   We do fine with this compromise and change in our life.

Denny & Barb
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • ExtColor: Rust
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 03:57:42 pm »
Our 2350 is our downsized house for 6 months of the winter months, from our 4000 sq ft home back in Wisconsin, which is our summer home. Is the 2350 a compromise?  Yep it is, but when in the Warm Sunny climate of Arizona, one does not spend much time in the RV.   We do fine with this compromise and change in our life.

Denny & Barb
That's us too. We are on a six week trip now and will "snowbird" in Mesa, AZ and Lost Wages  from mid-October until mid-March. If the weather is bad, our living space will do. And we love the 13-15 mpg our Sprinter gets whether climbing or rolling. We don't pull a toad.  :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

JackD

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2017 (latest)
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 02:07:51 pm »
I (we) have had tents, pick-up tent, horse trailer w/camper (2), 4 PCs, and a 5th wheel, and a 2350 Sprinter on order. For now, still keeping the 5th wheel for snow birding the winters in FL, but plan to use the 2350 for shorter stays (and my fishing trips) during the summer.  Also, we stay in the 5th wheel at our farm that we sold to the kids, and as long as we have the 2 dogs we'll continue with this arrangement, as it seems to work.

Jack

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2017, 10:06:48 am »
Started with a 27' Class C with two small kids, lay out worked great, four trips across the country with no issues,  went to a 31' Class A with no slides, had Ford un-resolvable issues and sold coach (sued Ford and one!), went to a 36' double slide pusher that worked fine but had to many issues with coach and sold it.  Moved to a 38' pusher, to big, did not work for what we wanted to do at the time, went to a 24' Sprinter chassis, way to tight for us and did not like the Sprinter at all ( sorry Sprinter owners).   Moved to a PC 2551S and liked it but found it a little tight and missed the dinette set up, traded for a PC 3100S and loved the coach and never had a serious issue with it.  I will be retiring in Jan. and anticipate much more travel and therefore we wanted a little more room so settled on the 36'10" Super C with two slides and absolutely love the coach, never say never but current coach may be my last, my wife has strongly  said it will be my last!  As a previous poster stated as ones life changes so do your RV needs.    be safe, RAG
Ron Goodspeed

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 09:58:40 pm »
Ragoodsp, so which model super c did you buy? New or pre DEF?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2017, 10:26:56 pm »
I personally like the Tiffin Allegro Breeze 28BR diesel pusher for it is just 29.5 feet long, 95" wide, and 11 feet tall.  It is nimble enough to get around in national parks and just about anywhere else.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer