Hello Guest

Phoenix Reunion in Sister's Oregon, Anyone planning to attend:?

• 12 Replies

frecklestweety

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 12/2012
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
  • ExtColor: WHT/TAN
Since I have never crossed country and traveled west, I was wondering if anyone is considering going to the PC reunion Sept11th-15th.  What would the weather be like around mid August into September?  Want to see the grand canyon as well.  Any Suggestions

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Phoenix Reunion in Sister's Oregon, Anyone planning to attend:?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 10:09:57 pm »
Carrie and I will be there.  Weather in Sisters will be warm to hot during the day and cool to cold at night.  Sisters is high desert, extremely unlikely there will be any rain at that time of year.  Should be blue skies and maybe puffy white clouds:)

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:51 pm »
Grand Canyon is way south. Save it for another trip to that part of the country. If you've not been to the Pacific Northwest before, there is so much to see just in that area as well as on the roads in and out. Though we are from Colorado, we will be heading out in late July to travel to/in Alaska and heading to the reunion from there. Afterwards we will (maybe) be heading straight back to Colorado if you want do do a "wagon train" with us. I say maybe because we are considering dropping down to Ashland, Oregon, for the Shakespear festival  (https://www.osfashland.org/).  We must be back to Colorado no later than September 28.

Nicki

JackD

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2017 (latest)
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:02:29 pm »
We're probably going -- supposed to get the new rig this summer.  Tentative plan is to go to Sisters, then to Calif. through Sequoia NF, Yosemite, and over to my Daughter's in Santa Clara, then back.  We loved all the rallys in the past & plan on continuing.

Jack

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:17:58 pm »
Having worked in Glen Canyon, just up-river from Grand Canyon; I can tell you that GC in August is HOT. 90's on the rims and 100's down in the canyon. But it's a dry heat.   ;)

frecklestweety

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:51:24 pm »
Having worked in Glen Canyon, just up-river from Grand Canyon; I can tell you that GC in August is HOT. 90's on the rims and 100's down in the canyon. But it's a dry heat.   ;)
T. hanks,  I think we will pass until next year and go north in eastern states. I don't enjoy the heat.  Thanks for the info which I figured it would be hot.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 05:18:04 am »
John backpacked a 50 mile, rim-to-rim-to-rim in the Grand Canyon with the Boy Scouts in August some years back. It was 113 degrees the day they hiked in. One day was enough to teach them to stop moving and seek shade by 10 am. They then started hiking by 4:00 each morning and it was still evil hot. A ranger told them that once the outside temp gets over your body temp, there is no way your body can regulate without outside help. He advised them to take off their shirts, dip them in the streams and put them back on soaking wet to gain evaporative cooling.  Better, but still wicked hot.

If you plan to see the North Rim, check seasonal closings. It is at a higher elevation and they close due to winter snow. John felt the north rim was more beautiful than the south rim but it is a long drive from nowhere to get to it.

Side note with more Ranger info - they airlift more people out of the canyon for drinking TOO MUCH water. This doesn't mean don't drink water, it means EAT. When you are hot, you lose your appetite. If you drink and drink and drink and do not eat, you effectively flush all the salts and minerals out of your system and it will crash. While you may not be planning a 50 miler in the canyon, you can still get sick and woozy from even a day of this severe inbalance.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

frecklestweety

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
John backpacked a 50 mile, rim-to-rim-to-rim in the Grand Canyon with the Boy Scouts in August some years back. It was 113 degrees the day they hiked in. One day was enough to teach them to stop moving and seek shade by 10 am. They then started hiking by 4:00 each morning and it was still evil hot. A ranger told them that once the outside temp gets over your body temp, there is no way your body can regulate without outside help. He advised them to take off their shirts, dip them in the streams and put them back on soaking wet to gain evaporative cooling.  Better, but still wicked hot.

If you plan to see the North Rim, check seasonal closings. It is at a higher elevation and they close due to winter snow. John felt the north rim was more beautiful than the south rim but it is a long drive from nowhere to get to it.

Side note with more Ranger info - they airlift more people out of the canyon for drinking TOO MUCH water. This doesn't mean don't drink water, it means EAT. When you are hot, you lose your appetite. If you drink and drink and drink and do not eat, you effectively flush all the salts and minerals out of your system and it will crash. While you may not be planning a 50 miler in the canyon, you can still get sick and woozy from even a day of this severe inbalance.
Thanks for the info but at my age I don't plan to doing any hiking. I am concerned about the heat just being there and my son has COPD and get short winded and the heat is not a great thing to deal with.  I am considering postponing the trip till next year and leave a lot sooner than July as planned.   My friend just returned after leaving in late April and said it is the trip of a lifetime but it went to 20degrees one nite and and 32 the next nite and kept the propane heater going all nite just to keep warm.  Temperatures change a lot I have been told.   Now I have to convince my son that July is not the time to go.  At any rate south or north I have been told it is breath taking. Also finding a campground within a reasonable distance to the south rim can be challenging at this late date. 

BarbRN

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 25, 2013
  • IntColor: beige
  • ExtColor: tan
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 06:07:48 pm »
I wish I could find the thread about this Oregon get together. 

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 06:20:57 pm »
You might check here: http://www.intervecphoenix.org/ they can email you the info I would think.  Or PM me and I'll send you what I have.
John

BarbRN

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 25, 2013
  • IntColor: beige
  • ExtColor: tan
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 08:55:47 pm »
No wonder I can't find it here on our forum.  Thanks, PM sent

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 03:49:47 pm »
Barb,
If you sent me a PM I did not get it.  If not then nevermind:)

I have seen a number of questions about the rally on this forum recently but it seems no one from Intervec-Phoenix Travel Club monitors this.  Anyway as I said before if you PM me your email address I will send you what info I have.  And maybe someone official will post here with some information. 

Wethompson1

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
Hi, this is Karen Thompson, Treasurer, of the InterVec Phoenix Travel Club.  Sorry, we do not formally monitor the forum.  We do publish a bi-monthly newsletter for Travel Club members.  If you are interested in joining our club, please visit our website at www.intervecphoenix.org

Margaret Potvin and Bill Cox are coordinating the 2017 Reunion in Bend Oregon, from Monday, September 11th until Saturday, September 16th.  We confirmed reservations with the campground in mid-June and released the extra sites we had on hold.  If you would like to contact Margaret or Bill about possibly attending, the sample club newsletter on our website www.intervecphoenix.org has e-mail address for club board members. 

Please remember, the 2018 Reunion will be somewhere special in the Central Time Zone.  Details to be released in the InterVec Phoenix Travel Club newsletter in early 2018.   

Happy trail to all!