• PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
To cover or not
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:59:33 pm »
We need to store our 2100 and want some input on the pros and cons of having a cover. The only affordable storage within a reasonable distance is outside only and living in the St. Louis, MO metro area our weather can be anything from mild to ice/snow laden and frigid. Our RV will most likely be in storage for up to 5 months during the winter.
Are covers worth the cost and hassle? And if so, which one are worthwhile? What do you use? What's the best in your opinion? Which fit best?

Thanks
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
Re: To cover or not
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:12:01 pm »
We also have the 2100 and store outside since purchase in 2012, but last two years under a car port. We have always covered. Some cons we were given when investigating covers are:
1. Makes access more difficult -- We have not found this to be a problem. The covers all have zippers and if correctly positioned work fine.
2. Will rub on the finish -- We get some very serious wind and have never seen a problem. Just did a serious exterior wash today and saw no signs of rubbing or damage from the cover. Inside of the covers is soft and if nip/tucked properly not much slack to flip and flop in the wind.
3. Very expensive to get a custom cover that fits perfect  -- Yes, the PCs are unique sizes which makes it more difficult. Our first cover (2 winters) was a 24 ft. motorhome cover and we did some creative nipping and tucking with extra ties. The biggest problem was the height from roof to ground.  Cover was way too long, drug on the ground and was even frozen in snow melt (stored at 9,200 ft. in the Rockies) when we wanted to pull it out in April. We now use a cover for a 22 ft. travel trailer purchased from Camping World when on sale. Height and length are perfect. We add a couple extra ties across the windshield to nip/tuck the extra and works fine.

I believe our exterior and roof are in great shape thanks to keeping it covered in the winter. Because of the serious sun at altitude, if we were home for more than a few weeks prior to the carport construction, we put the cover on. Have developed (through trial and error) a slick system and the cover goes on and comes off fairly quickly.

Let me know if you have more questions.      Nicki8

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:47:21 am »
It does seem that a car port would be ideal if you have a means to build one.  The protection of your expensive PC investment would far outweigh the cost of a carport.  If the carport is permanent, then you've also added value and marketability to your house.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:46 am »
Thanks Nicki8. I might take you up on that later. And the carport sound great, but the lot where we store it won't approve.
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:08 am »
     Yes, the carport is worth the cost to protect the expensive PC from the harsh Rocky Mountain weather. It is a permanent carport added to a home, but to my daughter's house where they are so kind to let us store the PC. And, yes, it did add considerable value if their new tax assessment is any indicator.
     First two years it was outside without a roof, thus we went with a good cover.

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:33:29 pm »
They are not fun to install or remove but are well worth the time and money. I would not store it exposed to the elements regardless of where you live.
2014 Sprinter 2350

Dale and Cindy

• We're holding piece of glacier from background.
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Full Body Paint - Graystone
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:50 pm »
Hello Garmp

We also live in St. Louis and we store our beloved PC 2350 outside.   We do not have a cover, so I am following responses.  Is there a cover to help protect?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 09:05:36 pm »
I wonder if Phoenix recommends a particular cover for "Best Fit".
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 06:10:16 am »
I've only found one cover that looks like it would fit.  The link is below.  If you find something else, please share.  I have not bought one yet, but plan to.

http://www.nationalrvcovers.com/s/class-b-rv-covers.html

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:44:27 pm »
We need to store our 2100 and want some input on the pros and cons of having a cover. The only affordable storage within a reasonable distance is outside only and living in the St. Louis, MO metro area our weather can be anything from mild to ice/snow laden and frigid. Our RV will most likely be in storage for up to 5 months during the winter.
Are covers worth the cost and hassle? And if so, which one are worthwhile? What do you use? What's the best in your opinion? Which fit best?

Thanks

We live (and store RV outdoors during the winter).  We bought a cover (ADCO) for out first RV.  It lasted 1 1/2 winters.   We get lots of wind out here and lots of deep snow and even the best covers get torn and ripped around here.

So since about 2003, we just put a windshield cover on our RV and tire covers and wash well before and after storage.  No ill effects, no water leakage problems with any of the 3 RVs we have owned.

If you have full body paint, a cover can actuall wear the paint where the wind causes the cover to flap and ripple against the sides.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:47:39 pm by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti