• NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: White
2100 Driveability
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:00:55 pm »
Ordered a 2100 P C and received a solicitation from Phoenix Cruiser to purchase a safe t plus steering stabilizer.  Have owned many small rv's in the past and never had to add steering or suspension assists to any of them including 3 Fords , 2 MB Sprinters  and 1 Chevy.  After reading a few posts on this forum we're wondering if there is an inherent engineering issue with the 2100 because some folks have had to add front stabilizers, rear trac bars, air bags and such just to keep their units safely on the road at legal highway speeds.  How can this be acceptable...and we would sure appreciate any and all comments on this matter.
Greg and Jan
2018 PC 2100

David Rotelle

Re: 2100 Driveability
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:15:56 pm »
We owned three Born Free Motorhomes all on the Ford E-450 chases. Our first Phoenix Cruiser was a 2351 and we currently own a 2106 2910.
Both of our Phoenix Cruisers drove exactly like our Born Frees, I don't notice any difference in handling or road manners.

However I do think the Phoenix Cruiser rides a bit smoother in the rear than our Born Frees did.

2travel

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: Nov 3 2014
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Greystone with wood floor and ultra leather
  • ExtColor: Greystone lower body paint, clear coat and rust proof
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:29:58 pm »
I started with a 2100.  It did fine but I found that big rigs blowing by me on the interstate tended to push me around a bit.  I added the safetyplus as a safety feature in case of a tire blow out. ( Check out the safety plus web site and demonstration videos. )  I added helwig rear stabilizer and helper springs to reduce lean and improve on exit and entrance ramps.  All made it more fun, easier and safer to drive.  I now have a 2552 and like the 2100 it does fine.  After two years I added the safety plus, makes it safer and easier to drive.  I don't get pushed around as much by the big rigs because I am bigger.   I have also added the mobil-eye, acts as my co-pilot if I get too close to the vehicle in front of me or if I wander in my lane.  Makes me a safer driver with less fatigue just like the safety plus and any suspension improvements.  Be safe and enjoy your journey.  If any of you all have not heard of the mobile eye, ask Kyle at the factory.  PS The manga shades are a great addition to and easy to put on and take off.  Wishing you All the best,  Steve Bowser
2travel

Lakedog

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:56 am »
My 2017 2100 drives great and the ride is better than the 2350 that I owned a few years ago.  I bought from factory inventory so no upgrades to the suspension or steering that I am aware of and do not see a need to make any changes.  I really enjoy driving the 2100 - the only issue I have had is looking down at the speedo to see that I am moving much faster than I realize.  The 2100 seems to get some negative comments in relation to drivability but I just haven't had that experience with my 2017 model.

Funseekers

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:13:39 am »
My 2017 2100 drives great and the ride is better than the 2350 that I owned a few years ago.  I bought from factory inventory so no upgrades to the suspension or steering that I am aware of and do not see a need to make any changes.  I really enjoy driving the 2100 - the only issue I have had is looking down at the speedo to see that I am moving much faster than I realize.  The 2100 seems to get some negative comments in relation to drivability but I just haven't had that experience with my 2017 model.
Well, that's reassuring...We would expect a great handling RV right off the floor.  To experience  otherwise would not be a great business model for a factory direct manufacturer.  We always weigh our RV's, load them correctly axle to axle and always, ALWAYS monitor tire pressure which in our opinion is critical to proper handling.

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: No
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 12:25:40 pm »
Based on my experience with a 2400 will make a suggestion.
The placement of the water tank, high and at rear combined with the holding tanks just beneath takes too much weight off the front axle.  The water tank could be relocated, maybe bottom of wardrobe, with a large drawer in galley instead.
While at it move cutting board to refrigerator side and have a cabinet door instead.  FYI we can't use screen with board up, raising or lowering board trips screen to open, Bob said all must do that but maybe just off location.