• PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Trip To Arches, Canyonlands, & Zion National Parks
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 09:15:29 pm »
Ron,  that sounds like a great trip.    How did you fare climbing the mountain grades ,  speed-wise  ?        Even with keeping it floored in 3rd or 4th  gear I can only manage  about 42 mph,
no toad,  tires all at 75 pounds.       Other than that it seems to run fine.      Is this typical  ?      
jim

Hi Jim,

I think it is typical.

In our case, at the most challenging climb up high altitude I-70 we were running ~33 mph, not at full throttle, but close to it.  High altitude will affect performance.  I use 85 octane when it is sold while in those areas which helps compensate for the thinner air.  If you wonder, the engine doesn't ping from the low octane at those altitudes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:18:12 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jimmer

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 09:29:13 pm »
Thanks, Ron,  glad i'm not the only one.     Was hesitant to admit 30-ish  was all we could muster on some grades as well.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 06:37:45 am »
Yeh, don't sweat it, that's how it is.  I recall back in 2007, I expected more power under those extreme demands but over the years I acclimated to it.

There is one thing you will want to check for with any E350 or E450, something that will rob power and it is a very easy mistake for a mechanic to reassemble incorrectly.

Make sure the large black flat engine air inlet piece is assembled over the radiator properly.  It is the piece that the oval air inlet from the air filter snaps into.  In taking out a bird from my a/c condenser, I had to remove that large piece, held in with 4 plastic push-pins.  If the hidden hinged plastic part is placed incorrectly when installing it, air through the air filter to the engine's throttle body is severely restricted.

There was a recall around 2010 concerning that piece.  Apparently a Ford line worker misunderstood it too.  I can easily see that a mechanic could make the same mistake.  I almost did it myself had I not previously known of the problem.

To check is extremely easy, takes all of about 5 seconds.  Just grab the oval engine air inlet to the air filter, give a jerk upward to unsnap it and continue pivoting upward.  Look in the hole it was snapped into.  If you see a black plastic obstruction, you need to take that large piece out and swing the hinged plastic piece on the back side of it, the other way.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:47:08 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jimmer

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:27:35 pm »
Thanks for the tip Ron,   I'll definitely check that out.
jim