• PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: Replacement of Fiamma 45i awning
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2019, 09:29:43 am »
Well...the plot thickens. (More redactions than the Meuller report...  roflol )

The *****************'s at Camping World phone service lied out their A******** to get our sale. The ****************** told me it would be here PLENTY of time....the last one "was ordered the 27th and the customer had it the first of may!" That may be, but they probably LIVED NEXT DOOR TO DOMETIC!  pyho

Now they are saying it MIGHT ship by the 13th from Dometic. . Do we want to pay expedited shipping to get it here sooner?  ************************* YOU GUYS! I told them we leave the 13th. ************************ camping world.

and... I thought maybe going to the LOCAL factory in orlando for Fiamma might get a replacement awning. Nope. Double whammy.

1) They only have replacements on hand for 35 series, or 45 's'   the 45 'i'  is not supported. They have part numbers, but no product. Obsolete.

2 Even so, if I wanted to try to fit a 35 series to the 45i... he needed the length. I told him the sticker had never been filled out on my awning, but gave him measurements. I was toid this wasnt even a standard size, and it wasnt uncommon for OEM's to have custom sizes, and by the measurements thats what I have.

NO factory solution from Fiamma. They are sorry, and the guy really wanted to help.

Source: Octavio at the Fiamma Factory in Orlando, via phone today.

SO.... what to do.  I an 'in' with an upholstery shop or two here... maybe have a replacement awning sewn up out of whatevah they have? Its just for this next few weeks.  Maybe just slide the fabric into the awning rail and 'make do'. Dunno. Will post. Open for suggestions.

We have a brand new room for it... that looks like it will be in the box for a while unless i pull something out.................

But I tell ya what.... its gonna be a LONG F****************** TIME before camping world sees my credit card number again. ********************************* THEM.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2019, 09:04:55 am »
 Bit cooler in the noggin today.  hithere Few discoveries.

Found this video, it covers the 45s, but is 99% the same as the 45i. The differences: the cover does not 'hinge up' like shown in the video, and there are (2) screws and a pop rivit holding the end caps on.

https://www.spinney.co.uk/about/videos/fiamma-f45-repair-guide-changing-the-canopy

Octavio was right, I do have a 'custom' awning. Fabric is 12'6", and on the data plate the 'special' box does have an 'x' scratched in it. Did not notice that until disassembly yesterday.

The replacement fabric for a carefree awning works, but you have to get the 2 piece kit, not the one piece. The main piece we got had the 1/4 inch rail insert on one end, 3/16 on the other. Evidently a standard? Our torn one had the same.  2o2  It is also 8 foot between the inserts, same as the fiamma.

The new piece is 14'2", made for a 15 footer. I am going to cut it to 12'6"

We should have a useable Fiamma awning by saturday.

Now... I found another item that will GREATLY improve the use of the fiamma awning. Was on that british site with the video above. I am at work, cant find the link, but it was the fiamma equal to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Components-362237-Solera-Awnbrella/dp/B01FIAV34I/ref=asc_df_B01FIAV34I/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312098740701&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16110111505299198761&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011833&hvtargid=pla-570773391273&psc=1

We got a 3-pack already for the awning that isnt here yet. I tried them in the fiamma... hell yes!! A game changer.  These will hold the awning arched, and tight!! They have a pin in one end that needs a hole drilled to seat.  The mounting plates will fit in the fiamma housing even.

Pictures coming. I now am very familiar with teardown and rebuilding Fiamma F45i awnings!!

Might even like it with the supports..  :)(:

And now, The Rest of the Story..( I miss Paul Harvey )..... evidently Mrs V was a bit PO'd about the awning delay, and did some calling around Camping World HQ. I had no idea. I was down ripping apart the fiamma, She was ripping...well.... :beg

(cheer) Kitty got claws.  (nod)

heartshower Dometic shipped it yesterday afternoon on special delivery, should be here friday.   heartshower

So by saturday we should have 2 working awnings to choose from.  roflol  My how things change quickly.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2019, 08:16:13 am »
Well, the Fiamma awning is up again.

Replacement fabric worked, the insert sizes were correct. 

When I cut the fabric, i left the sewn edge on one side, figuring one finished edge is better than none, right?

WRONG.  The extra layer of fabric on that one side did not let it roll up correctly.  :beg  After a couple hours of adjusting without success, I carefully cut off the edge with a razor. Rolls in evenly now. WHEW.

The Awnbrellas are the best thing to ever happen to that awning. With those and the side room, the extended awning is so firm I can ROCK THE CAMPER with it.  (cheer)

The external room is fantastic. Quality materials and workmanship. 'Baptism by fire' with a storm sat night... sunday morning showed all well and true.  2o2

Pictures at home...will post.   

Camping World refunded all shipping costs, and awning kit will be delivered to my workplace wednesday the 15th. Otherwise it would be outside or house, as we are leaving the 14th.  >(

TNcanuck

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April/2018
  • ModelYear: 2004
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2019, 08:34:24 am »
Congrats on the successful awning project. You are now officially the “go to” guy on all things awnings. Lol!

Those arched supports look great.
“Vandor”
John & Cheryl

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2019, 12:54:57 pm »

2o2 thank you
Goin' where the wind goes...

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
Volkemon,

You are the resident expert.  I now have a resource for advise in Fiamma awning repair.  (cheer)

tymote
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2019, 02:30:40 pm »
Wheeeeeeee Doggies! 

The Awnbrellas worked *so* very well. I can highly recommend them. If i had not already bought the new awning, I might have learned to live with the Fiamma, it works that well.

Also got an 'add a room ', also very happy with it. Minor annoyances, but these can be worked out.

Couple pics from initial setup in the driveway.

and out in the wild. We were put RIGHT behind the stage with crew.  :beg Packed in like sardines, i managed to get an 'on the fence' spot and set us up with the King Ranch of sites.

And they were packed in on the other side. If a tent fit, it was there.

Wait... that hose.... ENHANCE!   roflol

Heard a few people had pipes break in their RV's due to high pressure. The green hose is brand new.  :beg  YAAAAY!!! Regulator.

Couple inside shots. The add-a-room was so tight we opened up the bed window and the door to AC the space. Small fan in the window blowing in made it cool in there when ~90* outside.  2o2

It was set up nicely, but I didnt think to get pics until teardown had started.

Cant wait for the new awning to be installed. Must do research first... it is gonna be a tight fit!!

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2019, 06:27:27 am »
Nice! You had me worried for a minute with those first pics - no more hippie rags!!!  :'(  but then I got to the inside pics. You've gone stealth hippie. I like it.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2019, 10:02:04 am »
Nice! You had me worried for a minute with those first pics - no more hippie rags!!!  :'(  but then I got to the inside pics. You've gone stealth hippie. I like it.

My hair may be short now, but still a hippie.  ;)  Sometimes it does pay to be low profile, however.

We normally do have much more for outside decorating, but this was a working fest.  And with the neighbors...we kept the decorations inside.  Tapestries like that cost $150-200 each, and are hard to secure.  :beg NORMALLY we are camped next to friends, and many eyes make safe campsites. This was not a group I would trust.  :-[

Video and audio on 57 bands over 5 days and 3 stages....and got them all.  I was on main stage from 9:30am to 1am  every day.

Working out details on mounting the 14 foot awning...gonna be REAL tight, but worth it.

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2019, 04:09:32 pm »

My hair may be short now, but still a hippie.  ;)  Sometimes it does pay to be low profile, however.

We normally do have much more for outside decorating, but this was a working fest.  And with the neighbors...we kept the decorations inside.  Tapestries like that cost $150-200 each, and are hard to secure.  :beg NORMALLY we are camped next to friends, and many eyes make safe campsites. This was not a group I would trust.  :-[

Video and audio on 57 bands over 5 days and 3 stages....and got them all.  I was on main stage from 9:30am to 1am  every day.

Working out details on mounting the 14 foot awning...gonna be REAL tight, but worth it.
As a fellow hippie in disguise I really admire those tapestries.  2o2

Dougn
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:18:21 pm by 2 Lucky »

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 05:01:31 pm »

As a fellow hippie in disguise I really admire those tapestries.  2o2

Dougn

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tYzsE8upLiY

Too bad   Dick' s Labor Day weekend camping is all sold out. PC rally next year metoo
Goin' where the wind goes...

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2019, 09:06:40 am »
Tapestries like that cost $150-200 each, and are hard to secure.

My "hippie rags" were way less (and probably lower quality). They are basically dyed sheets. I found them on Amazon (search wall tapestry and sort by price) and https://trippystore.com/collections/tapestries  There was another website but I can't remember which one.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 11:03:12 am »
Tapestries like that cost $150-200 each, and are hard to secure.

My "hippie rags" were way less (and probably lower quality). They are basically dyed sheets. I found them on Amazon (search wall tapestry and sort by price) and https://trippystore.com/collections/tapestries  There was another website but I can't remember which one.

Sure!  We have many 'commercial' tapestries, and they generally make up the outer perimeter display. Had only two disappear over the years, so not too bad. I looked at that site - https://trippystore.com/collections/tapestries  - and we have 3 of the ones shown on page one.  This one has good 'bang for the buck' -

These are printed, and not tie dyed.  Use a color changing LED light, and it appears to spiral.

MANY ALL of the chinese tie dyes are printed. Especially the shirts you see with a logo/design on a tie dye background. Its funny when a noob is bragging about their hand made tie dye...and someone else has the same exact shirt.  :beg Full Stop.  As Dire Straits said - " Two men think they're Jesus..... one of them MUST be wrong"  (nod)

Most hand made are dyed sheets, queen usually. We have one done out of heavier material, and its 4' x 25'.  :-D  The vendor was getting beat up on the price by a customer, and brought it to me. " IS this worth a $100? This guy wants me to go to $80.."  I responded by buying it for $100 then and there. We use it for a top border on the 13x13 pop ups.  Never seen another quite like it.

The 'skull' one was done by the artist over the course of two weeks. If you look carefully in the 'teeth' you can see names, it is a memory tapestry for Suwannee Rising 2019. We have many tap's that have names and dates to help us remember the good times every time we unpack them.

The peace sign one was a beginner tie dye from a friend, she does MUCH better now, but we love that one. The other patterned one by the skull was a facebook find for only $75. Guy was 'cleaning out the studio' and selling cheap. I got two shirts for $15 each! 

Mrs V found me a Polo shirt tie dye this last fest.  2o2 For those occasions that require a shirt with a collar.  roflol

A good method for getting the best hand done pieces is to GET THERE FIRST. Mrs V gets my wallet and makes a beeline to the vendors early on. She gets the hard to find items then and there, and works slowly buying the more expensive pieces. But wait too long on a good piece... its gone.

We have friends with tie dye suits, skirts, overalls and , for the win, a tie dye kilt.  :lol 

Topic Drift....its a thing.    (exactly)  Glad we are not getting graded on this.  I will be making more awning progress after I can rope in a couple friends for an afternoon of test fitting.  :)(:

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 06:36:42 pm »
So, wait, I'm supposed to need a color changing led light to see that dancing bear print spiral...?
Dougn

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2019, 12:16:39 pm »
So, wait, I'm supposed to need a color changing led light to see that dancing bear print spiral...?
Dougn

Spiral as in the noun, no. Spiral as in the verb. yes. ie: appear to move or be an animation.

:)(: can make it seem to move also.  :lol  So can other things available in Denver.  :cool