• PurchDate: Purchase Proposal submitted 12/29/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Water Filtration?
« on: March 05, 2018, 04:30:09 pm »
On my previous rig, an LTV Unity, I had an internal (Camco) large canister water filter, with a 10 micron capacity. Now that Madonna and I are taking delivery on a new 2552 in about a month, I was wondering what other owners use for filtration. I can get a standard Two Pack Camco blue filter pack at Walmart for less than $20, but that only has a 100 micron filtration capacity. I asked Earl about a custom water filtration unit inside; he said that he is interested in offering water filtration options, but that is not an option at this time. What do the rest of you do, when hooked up at a campground? Thanks a lot!  John Hoecker (with Madonna)  tymote

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Water Filtration?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 04:41:00 pm »
Hi John,

We don't have a water filtering system for our PC.  We use one of those typical water filter pitchers.  We also use bottled water primarily for on-the-go.  I suppose an on-board filter would be better, but our system has been working for us.

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:45:31 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:07:33 pm »
Might be off the subject slightly, but today on our return trip from Florida to the midwest and freezing weather I started to winterize the PC again and as I drained the water heater, I noticed sediment in the drain plug. Bob, our RV is slightly less than a year old with slightly over 10,000 miles and only 6 or so outings at the most. Is this sediment common? And how do I prevent this build up from becoming a problem? A water filter maybe?

thanks
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 05:58:06 pm »
We use the Camco filters available from Walmart on our current motorhome and will do so with our PC when we get it.  We don't use our water system for drinking, but we like to filter the incoming water to prevent sediment from getting into our water system.

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:43:19 pm »
We use an outside filter canister that attaches to the water hose and uses a standard 0.5 micron carbon filter that also filters sediment. We got the canister and filters from rvwaterfilterstore.com, although I don't our canister on their web site now.
John and Carol

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Maple
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:45:12 pm »
Does the Camco 2 pack (refills?) include the short strain relief hose to connect to hose bibb?
I always use one on the hose to keep out the unknowns, and carry bottled  water for drinking.

If you want to add your own internal  2nd stage filter  for the city water as well as the internal tank, ask the factory for a plumbing diagram. It may be that it's very simple to add, but the factory doesn't offer it due to potential  warranty claims and liabilities  from contaminated / blocked fllters.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:30:07 am by CalCruiser »
Just Truckin' Around

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 07:59:28 pm »
Having looked at the plumbing in my 2552, I have no idea where they would be able to add a filter.  Maybe near the pump but that is under the bed and requires quite a bit of work to get to.  Not something I would want to do to change a filter.

We use a single canister filter from Camco.  The filter is 5 micron.  I put it outside next to the hose bibb.  I have a short length of water hose that runs from the hose bibb to the filter and then another section to the rig.  I added a pressure regulator and dial to the filter so everything is all plumbed together and easy to set up.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 09:38:56 pm »
We use an outside filter canister that attaches to the water hose and uses a standard 0.5 micron carbon filter that also filters sediment. We got the canister and filters from rvwaterfilterstore.com, although I don't our canister on their web site now.
If I were to filter incoming water, this method seems very thorough with the water getting filtered before it enters the motor home, whether it be the direct connection or filling the fresh water tank.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:52:22 am »
We use the blue Camco filters between tap and rig plus a slim Brita pitcher in the fridge for drinking water. We only drink if our lines have sanitized. When we're full time on the road the water system is in constant use just like a regular house. If we are just week-ending or doing sporadic trips, we tend to use bottled water so we don't have sanitize each time. We carry two collapsible water jugs that we fill as needed from home and campground faucets.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

JHoecker

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: Purchase Proposal submitted 12/29/2017
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 01:13:48 pm »
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions - they help a lot! John

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:00:45 pm »
Most RV filters filter out the sediment but not the harmful chemicals and bacteria which is what I worry about. Good filters are available but are expensive and require frequent changing if air gets into them, causing bacteria to grow, which happens to the portable ones each time you disconnect the water supply. We only drink bottled water when using the rv and do not use any filter system, although we did use filters years ago but decided it was not worth the inconvenience and expense.
2014 Sprinter 2350

TomHanlon

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:49 am »
Most RV filters filter out the sediment but not the harmful chemicals and bacteria which is what I worry about. Good filters are available but are expensive and require frequent changing if air gets into them, causing bacteria to grow, which happens to the portable ones each time you disconnect the water supply. We only drink bottled water when using the rv and do not use any filter system, although we did use filters years ago but decided it was not worth the inconvenience and expense.

Bottled water is normally not regulated. I worked at a company that took spring water, added tap water then filtered and bottled the water. I later went to work at a local water company. They thought bottled water was a ripoff to the cusmer. I only drink bottled water as a covinance. When I do, I always open it, thus letting air get in the same as you described above. Sometimes I feel we all worry to much.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 10:22:49 am »
Sometimes I feel we all worry to much.
I agree with you Tom.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Maple
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 01:30:44 pm »
The 100 micron Camco in-line type hose  filters are combination KDF/ activated charcoal.

“Kinetic Degradation Fluxion (KDF) is a high-purity copper-zinc formulation that uses a basic chemical process known as redox (oxidation/reduction) to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, and hydrogen sulfide from water supplies. ... In short, the KDF redox process works by exchanging electrons with contaminants”.

“Active charcoal carbon filters are most effective at removing chlorine, sediment, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), taste and odor from water. They are not effective at removing minerals, salts, and dissolved inorganic compounds.

Typical particle sizes that can be removed by carbon filters range from 0.5 to 50 micrometres. The particle size will be used as part of the filter description. The efficacy of a carbon filter is also based upon the flow rate regulation. When the water is allowed to flow through the filter at a slower rate, the contaminants are exposed to the filter media for a longer amount  of time.”
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:55:48 pm by CalCruiser »
Just Truckin' Around

mhoecker

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 14, 2018
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 02:08:22 pm »
I believe I read somewhere that bugs in the water can be as small as 4 microns. My question is to what level should we filter the water to be reasonably sure we won’t get sick?  I am trying to get us away from having to pack bottled water but don’t understand the risks well enough to make an informed decision.  Any help is appreciated!