Hello Guest

Good bye Phoenix family

• 30 Replies

TomHanlon

Good bye Phoenix family
« on: March 07, 2018, 06:57:10 am »
After nearly eight years being part of the Phoenix family we are moving on to other adventures. Due to my health and getting up there in age, we have down sized into a class D camper van. We hope to do more touring rather than camping. No more hooking up and unhooking the Jeep and towing it. We want to just be able to get in a go, stopping anywhere we feel like it, parking in a car size parking space. My legs are starting to give out, making it hard to walk any distance. Soon the handicap spots will be calling me. It can be hard to have a mind that thinks you are still a young man and a body that says other wise. Unfortunately nothing that Phoenix makes fixes into a handicap space.

We traded our 2552 in at Beckley’s camping center in Thurmont, Maryland. It is listed under class C. Complete with pictures.
https://www.beckleysrvs.com/product/used-2012-phoenix-usa-cruiser-m-2552-845955-16
If you call, ask for Tyler, he is straightforward and doesn’t BS you.

I will say it is with sweet sorrow that we are leaving the family and I hope to keep checking in when I can. I wish all of you as many happy miles in your PC as we had.  :'(  >:(

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
Re: Good bye Phoenix family
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:14:44 am »
Best wishes to your new travel direction, Tom.  Thanks for your words of wisdom on this forum.  Happy trails.  :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015 (2351)
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:22:28 am »
Good to hear you will still have wheels and be traveling some, Tom.  Wishing you the best of luck and much enjoyment with your more nimble rig.  Thanks for all your help on the forum.  You will be very much missed.
Carol

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Picked Up 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:42:05 am »
Tom and Jo Anne (and Charlie),
We understand that changes in our lives require us to move on to new RV's that meet our needs better. It is bittersweet.
We sure hope you hang out here so we can continue to benefit from your experience as a PC owner. We are SO GRATEFUL to you both for being the ones that introduced us to the PC. If we hadn't met you that day in Rapid City, we wouldn't be in the position we are in now.....awaiting the completion of our PC.  tymote

We wish you the VERY best in your travels!

Susie and Gary
(and Cody and Sadie)

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:30 am »
Hi Tom,

Reading your story cut a little.  I will miss your insight and contributions on this forum.  I do understand your decision as I know other people with similar physical digressions with their joints and such.  I hope your new rig will meet your current needs.  Do you have the manufacture website of your new rig?  I am curious what you decided to buy.

You indicated the change from campgrounds to motels which eliminates the need to sleep & shower in the rig.  Such a change from one to the other is quite dramatic.  I hope it works for you.  I have to ask if you had considered a Phoenix 2100, and if so, why you decided against one.  A 2100 would have kept the option to "camp" on the table when a motel is not around or just too shabby to consider.  Maybe your new "B" does just that.

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:13:15 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 03:33:45 pm »
Tom, sorry to hear you are moving on. I'm sure you can still add some helpful comments to this site in the future.
Since our RV's are similar I was curious what the dealer is asking for yours.
I hate sites that make you call, they should post their price on the sale page.

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:58:54 pm »
Tom, best wishes to you in your future travels and good luck with your new camper. I am getting up there in age too so I totally understand your move. I have been downsizing and went from a 3100 to a 2350 last October, came close to getting a Roadtrek but decided to try a smaller Phoenix. Same reasons, easier to drive and park, better access to to interesting places, and most importantly no towing, I really dislike towing anything. My brother has a 20’ Camper van, really likes it. I have a feeling you will like yours. I try to be thankful for what I have and can still do and try to forget about what I had or used to be able to do. If your lucky you get to grow old right? Summer is coming , enjoy your new rig and being out there.
2014 Sprinter 2350

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 08:27:55 pm »
Barb and myself will be maybe shortly after you.   We are looking at the new Intent Winnie as an option for  our extended stay in a motorhome.   Good health to you guys.   Praying for you  guys....

Denny and Barb
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Hickory
  • ExtColor: Custom paint
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:44:55 pm »
Happy trails and best of luck to you.
https://youtu.be/8QAEmCuBnck

Just Truckin' Around

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 05:52:22 am »
Hey Tom, did you read that listing? Where did you hide that booth dinette they mention? I know Beckley's never saw a Phoenix before you rolled in but, seriously? They have the rig on their lot! Electric hot water (and gas). I know you don't care, but they'd get a lot more interest if they listed all the features - which they could get off the Phoenix website. Sheesh, sales people.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 05:59:27 am »
I forgot to mention that changing rigs doesn't get you out of our lunch visits. You go ahead and get that handicapped space up front and get a table and we'll hoof it across the back 40 to join you.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 07:35:20 am »
Tom, I suspect we are all curious what B you selected for your upcoming travels.   I came to Phoenix Cruisers from the B World and have owned four of them over the years.   

When we were researching PC, I followed your posts with interest and you were instrumental in our purchase of our 2350.   As I recall we both pull a Trailhawk  Cherokee behind our PCs. 

Paul

TomHanlon

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 02:42:32 pm »
OK to explain what we got and why. Our criteria was 1) it must fit in a normal car size parking space. 2) it had to have twin beds as we both get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and did not want to wake the other one. 3) the bed had to be long enough for me to stretch out, all 72” of me. 4) I had to fit in the bathroom. 5) we wanted better fuel mileage. 6) my wife could drive it, she did not like driving the PC.

So we started. Looking at class B’s. My first choice was the Short Sprinter, of which I could only find Pleasure Ways, the twin bed is way to short and the Roadtrek SS Agile. This was my first choice because of all the driving safety stuff, no propane, no generator and could run the roof a/c on the batteries. The problem was the bed was very tight in length and when I sat on the toilet one should rubbed the wall and the other shoulder was in the hallway. This is not good for odor control. The full size PW and RT are 22’ 9” long, thus they were out. Service on the Mercedes Sprinter can be hard to find, takes a long time to get the work done and cost a lot, so I was told and read. My wife did not cost of these Motorhomes.

We looked at the PC 2100, which was to wide to fit in a parking space, and the Leasure Travel B+ but the same problem. Advanced RV makes a great class be but they cost three times what the others cost.

Next we looked at the Winnebago Travato 59K. It is 21’ long, has twin beds, a somewhat spacious rear bathroom and was half the cost of the Roadtrek I wanted. It is on the Ram 2500 which is a gas engine. The truck part is a working mans truck, no frills but the Winne part is pretty nice. My wife liked driving it. So now coming up on 50 years of marriage, can you guess what I picked?

Last Thursday I dewinterized it and got everything working so we could leave on a trip down to Florida to visit our snowbird friends in their winter roust. Then Friday the Nor-eastern blew thru Maryland knocking out our power. I first night staying in the new RV was in out driveway. Saturday evening the power came back on, so Sunday morning we headed down the road. Have been enjoying a nice trip. The only problem we have encountered was in Charleston, SC we could not find a parking space and I could not get it into the parking garage.

Holly, the dinette in the listing was one of my mods. You push a button on the dash and the sofa flips over and becomes a dinette. HaHa. I was also surprised to see that in the listing. Yes Lunches are still doable.

I hope this explains what we did and why.
Happy trails to all.

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Picked Up 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 04:55:44 pm »
Tom, that sure looks like nice unit! Very classy! The layout is so functional. Congrats to you and Jo Anne.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:58:02 pm by Free2RV »

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Hickory
  • ExtColor: Custom paint
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 04:57:16 pm »
I would have opted for that  59K   floorplan  too. It should  have been offered from the start  instead of the original  59G model.  Maybe Kermit will get  back to his Falcon roots and design something similar on a Ford Transit?
Just Truckin' Around