• PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
Ladder
« on: March 24, 2018, 04:52:48 pm »
Does any one use their back ladder to store things while traveling? I think it looks pretty tacky, but some things are just necessary. For instance, our 2100 has limited storage space, knew this going in and not a problem, but the DW wants a zero gravity chair. Our shower can only hold so much.
What's the general opinion of storing a chair like such on the ladder rack while traveling? Is it secure enough? or will I loose the chair and the ladder on the road?
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
Re: Ladder
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:24:12 pm »
We considered a 2100 before buying our 2350 but the exterior storage was a problem for us.   I think if I had a 2100 I would probably add a hitch storage unit of some kind.  I used one  on our Roadtrek 210P for years and it is amazing how much you can safely and securely store on one.  It does add a bit to the length but its overall dimensions are not really obtrusive.  Mainly, we used it when we were going to a destination place for a week or so, usually out in the boonies and we would simply secure it when we got there by using a short heavy chain and padlocking it to a tree, bear pole or such.   Here is similar to what we had:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Highland-Steel-Hitch-Mounted-Cargo-Tray-Black/21801761

and sometimes we used one of these on the carrier (but a smaller model).  They are made by Rubbermaid and are rainproof and pretty durable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-ActionPacker-Storage-Tote/446220734

I would have loved to have had one of these but the arrangement on the Roadtrek of the continental spare storage would not allow it to work without some serious extenders that I just didn't want to use.  Plus I was too durn tight to pay that much.  

https://www.stowaway2.com/

Just an idea.   I never was too keen on hanging a chair or chairs or water hoses, etc. from the ladder because it just looks so tacky to me and could be pretty easily ripped off if it didn't fall off in the first place.  

Paul

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 05:40:53 pm »
Tacky schmacky!  We needed to have a place to put my Pride Mobility scooter, so we got this cargo carrier https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4Z5J0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1  which allows us to carry more stuff.  We had to raise and clamp the ladder to the stored position, so we added this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDUUJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  to carry the two zero gravity chairs.  I won't fill this post with more Amazon links; so if you want to pursue this route, I'll send you all the links to the accessories we use to make it work for us.   :)(:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:08:11 am by Two Hams in a Can »
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 05:57:08 pm »
I Hang two chairs on a rack on the rear. Do I care if someone thinks it looks tacky? Not so much. Heck I see $500,000 units rolling down the road with a huge step ladder strapped to the back. This isnít my home, itís my vacation B and B on wheels. Iím typically wearing flops, shorts and a T shirt so it all flows quite nicely.  :-D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:58:41 pm by Joseph »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 07:37:17 pm »
We bring our zero gravity chairs specifically to star-gaze.  They go in the tow vehicle.  BUT...if we did not have a tow vehicle, I had wondered if they fit in the rear compartment with the hooks removed.  Has anyone tried that?

A few years ago, Phoenix offered a spare tire looking compartment that did not, and could not hold a spare tire.  It was rectangular in shape instead of round, and I think the door hinged.  I wonder if that compartment was big enough for zero gravity chairs.

I always thought a one-rear-wall-fits-all approach would have been ideal for PCs.  You can place the optional spare tire in it, or use the compartment for other bulk storage.....hence a place for zero gravity chairs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:41:15 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Cropduster

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/2015
  • ModelYear: 2002
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 10:51:39 am »
One limitation with the 2100 is the limited interior and exterior storage space.  I have used the rear ladder to secure our rolled ground cover carpet and folding lawn chairs.   Light weight items which do not need to be inside.  Have successfully attempted  -- so far -- to avoid adding storage on the hitch.  The wife believes that such adaptation would make our rig look 'too ghetto'.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:13:59 pm by Cropduster »

Wayne P.

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Oct 2017
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »
I have a 2013 PC 2350 and will not leave home without my zero gravity chair.  On my trip to Florida this past winter I traveled with the zero gravity chair tucked behind the drivers seat and the slide out.  It fit perfectly and never moved over 4,000 miles.  Just move it out of the way before you operate the slide :)

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:49:12 pm »
Thanks for all the great replies. Other than looks, is the ladder and the way it is attached, strong enough to with stand the riggers of holding a chair of that weight along a trip of any duration? Second issue is that now the DW now wants one also. Will the ladder rack support two?
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 05:36:32 pm »
Garmp. the Ladder can handle it just fine. Tens of thousands of rigs go own the road with 8 an 10 foot step
ladder hanging off them with no issue. A couple of light weight chairs won't be an problem. I bought a bracket designed to hold the chairs hanging from the ladder. I think it cost about 25 bucks. I use a color matching bungie to keep the chairs from bouncing around.  Trust me, you may think it looks tacky or ghetto but you'll get over it.  You're going to see things that will make your eyes roll back so a couple of lawn chairs is nothing.

Hit the road, enjoy your rig, Kick back and don't sweat the small stuff!

Cropduster

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/2015
  • ModelYear: 2002
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 07:21:29 pm »
Agree.  The chairs should pose no problem with the ladder.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 09:33:48 pm »
Zero gravity chairs can get quite heavy.  Is anyone hanging two of them on the folding ladder?  If so, how is that working for you when getting into the rear storage compartment?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 09:30:37 am »
We have the 2100 and carry folding chairs. How we carry them has gone through several phases.
First we had 2 zero gravity chairs and purchased hooks that attach to the ladder. They worked well, but several things I tried did not work to keep the chairs clean and/or dry. Clean and dry was important because we also used one for husband inside for watching TV/movies. The one we have (which is one of the smallest made because we are small people) fits great between couch and dinette when slide is out. 

I was not fond of the zero gravity chair. Husband loved his. For me we purchased a very light weight compact folding directors chair. (Currently in storage so can't tell you more. It will fit in back storage area, under dinette when traveling or shower stall.

The final resting place for the zero gravity chair while in transit is in front of kitchen bungee corded to the knobs. It is not in the way to get in/out at the rear door, stays dry and clean, and is very handy if we want to use it for a mid-day lunch stop--which we have done. We traveled for two months from Colorado, through Alaska and home again and that is the system that worked for us. Even took the zero gravity chair into our cabin on the ferry. Husband would not want to be without it.

As to other exterior storage....
We purchased a 2100 because we wanted SHORT for driving, parking, camping in national parks and BLM land where short is frequently necessary. Adding a hitch storage box would defeat our goal/purpose.

On some trips we bring an inflatable kayak. When a couple days trip to the destination, we have hoisted it on top and lashed it down. It only weighs 35 lbs., but a challenge to get up and down.  When just a day trip to destination, it sits in the aisle.

If you want other information on ways we have minimized/downsized to fit all we need in the 2100, send a PM.

Nicki......Glenwood Springs, CO

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 12:34:02 pm »
As to other exterior storage....
We purchased a 2100 because we wanted SHORT for driving, parking, camping in national parks and BLM land where short is frequently necessary. Adding a hitch storage box would defeat our goal/purpose.
Nicki......Glenwood Springs, CO
Nicki, I am 100% with you on your logic.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 07:11:42 pm »
On some trips we bring an inflatable kayak.
I am thinking of getting an inflatable, what brand / model are you using and do you like it?  I've only used hardshells so far but there is no place on our rig to carry one.  I could add it to the car's roof rack but if we don't take the car I'm stuck.

I've been looking at the Advanced Elements line but I've no experience with inflatables so any advice is welcome.

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 07:19:41 pm »
We are also curious about the inflatable  kayaks.      Rhea,  would it be large enough to carry a 50 lb.  dog ?      How about inflation ?    Time consuming ?