Hello Guest

Answer as to where are PC exterior wall panels made.

• 5 Replies

RVCamping

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 9/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape full body paint
Answer as to where are PC exterior wall panels made.
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:27:46 am »
Ron/Jatrax - I am starting a new discussion in response to another thread that kind of got off topic. During our detailed factory visit in late March with Earl, he verified where most of the non built PC parts come from.
All exterior vacuum bonded side, roof and floor panels are built by a subcontractor in Elkhart and delivered to PC. The same goes for all the fiberglass pieces such as the front faring, side transition panels, storage bin/doors, the lower skirting panels and the rear cap including the older "Continental style" spare tire cap (which we ordered). That subcontractor is using the original molds created and still owned by PC.
Moryde is the vendor just down the street from PC that performs all frame modifications even south of the rear axle including installing the 5000 lb hitch. I witnessed very professional and high quality workmanship which is vital to the safety, handling and longevity of the coach. A strong foundation is critical to holding up any house, especially a moving one.
All composite wood cabinetry is constructed in house at PC and all hardwood cabinet doors, drawer fronts, table tops and counter extensions are built and finished by a local kitchen cabinet shop.
Cushions, mattresses and furniture custom built to fit the PC cabinetry is obviously sourced from another Elkhart vendor as well.
It was very interesting to learn the who, where and how PC gets it all done, so I am sharing what we learned. - Dick
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:30:40 pm by RVCamping »

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Answer as to where are PC exterior wall panels made.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:43:06 am »
Thank you!

One of the things I was astonished at was the sheer number of sub-contractors, vendors, manufacturers and support companies in Elkhart all dedicated to the RV industry.  I should not have been surprised really, that is how things work when a particular industry is successful in a town.   When I lived in Pittsburgh in the '80's it seemed everyone either made steel or worked for a company that supported the steel industry.  In Oregon where I am now, the local industry is trees and shrubs and it seems you either work for a nursery or a company that supports that industry.

But anyway, in Elkhart if you want something for an RV somebody will have it on the shelf or be wiling to make it for you.

I suspect it is just more efficient to have a fiberglass shop running panels all the time for different companies rather than building them as needed at the Phoenix building. 

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Maple
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
SRe: Answer as to where are PC exterior wall panels made.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:50:02 am »
Ron/Jatrax - I am starting a new discussion in response to another thread that kind of got off topic. During our detailed factory visit in late March with Earl, he verified where most of the non built PC parts come from.
All exterior vacuum bonded side, roof and floor panels are built by a subcontractor in Elkhart and delivered to PC. The same goes for all the fiberglass pieces such as the front faring, side transition panels, storage bin/doors and the lower skirting panels. That subcontractor is using the original molds created and still owned by PC.

The bodywork and interior of the the  Carri-Go model 2310 sold by Carriage then acquired by Dynamax was nearly identical to the Phoenix Cruiser model 2300.  The Carri-Go model 2320 was also nearly identical to the Phoenix Cruiser  non slide-out model 2301.

In 2003 the Phoenix Cruiser model 2350 debuted with the current  dry bathroom design and drivers side slide-out option.

In 2004 Phoenix Cruiser improved the existing 21, 23, and 25 ft model line-up by introducing the molded fiberglass rear cap, hidden running boards, corian countertops, and cut-out cab roof with no tv cabinet.  

Where did the  original design  and tooling come from????

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:07:41 pm by CalCruiser »
Just Truckin' Around

RVCamping

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/2017
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • ExtColor: Nightscape full body paint
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 12:32:09 pm »
Have no idea where the designs came from or when, just relaying what I was told. - Dick

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:58:55 pm »
Thanks RVCamping for all those details.  It is very interesting.

Back in 2006 when shopping for a new rig, the Carrigo was initially on my short list.  I too noticed how it's B+ front cap is the same used on PCs.  I also noticed the optional front bumper cover on our PC is also on other brands of motor homes of that time period.  But the Phoenix rear wall with integrated spare tire compartment is a Phoenix exclusive item.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:03:33 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"