• NewUsed: New
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: dessert Sand
  • ExtColor: United States
Cell boosters
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:22 am »
Hi all, I am looking for information on cell phone boosters for our 3100.  I would like to be able to sit out under awning and use our phone.  Pros and cons of what you have experience with would be very helpful.  We will be in Elkheart the 21 and would like to get them to install on.  Thank you for your help!

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
Re: Cell boosters
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 01:14:59 pm »
Google "Wilson cell phone booster".  I used one years ago.  Looked at the website and they are pricey...$300-$500.  Unless things have changed, you can't boost "no signal".

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/

Barry T

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:49:50 am »
Ours is a Wilson but old (2013 - pert near ancient for electronics). We spent hours on the internet confusing ourselves before John finally called Wilson, who were extremely helpful. We wound up with a trucker antenna on the rear, thin net coax cable run from there, up passenger side, across the cap, into cabinet over driver's head where booster/repeater and home/office antenna are mounted. It works... Not as fabulous or aggravation free as we'd like but it works.

Main problem is distance between the two antennas. Equipment wants 25 feet minimum between the antennas - not happening in a 2552. Solution is repositioning the inside antenna and dialing down the power until it stops creating a feedback loop. We do this every time we use the unit - we adjust until we hit the sweet spot. Our unit shuts down when it detects feedback to avoid causing issues with the cell towers. You MUST have this feature. It might be standard now due to FCC rulings.

The cable on the inside antenna is long enough to move it over near passenger window for better broadcasting to the picnic table if incoming signal is weak. We have a Command cable bundler mounted in the cabinet next to the inside antenna to quickly control that long cable when not in use.

Our booster is only 3G while our mi-fi\hotspot handles both. They came out with 4G boosters the next year but the over-$1,000 price tag for just the booster/repeater helped us wait. We will probably upgrade to a dual 3G/4G LTE soon.

Ron is correct - the unit is actually a repeater; it takes whatever signal your outside antenna picks up and feeds it back out closer to your phone. No signal means no signal. However, weak signal may get you text messages and sometimes a phone call as we had in the Okeefenokee Swamp. The rangers wanted to know how we did it because they had to use radios since no cell phones worked there... Until ours. We are able to connect most of the time as we wandered the country.

We use the Wilson system and a Verizon mi-fi/hotspot with Verizon service. Place the inside antenna, kick on the booster, adjust the signal strength to kill feedback, set the mi-fi on the picnic table and power up the computers. Our phones get signal straight from the booster as does the mi-fi. Computers link through the mi-fi which gives us a faster connection than linking computers through the phones.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:11:54 am »
Hi all, I am looking for information on cell phone boosters for our 3100.  I would like to be able to sit out under awning and use our phone.  Pros and cons of what you have experience with would be very helpful.  We will be in Elkheart the 21 and would like to get them to install on.  Thank you for your help!

I put in a WeBoost (Wilson) 4G-X RV booster.  It works well, but remember,  there MUST be a signal to boost.The other thing is, in a weak signal area you have to be closer (2 to 3 feet) to the booster's amplified "inside" antenna.

In any event, on our 2551, I put the receiver antenna on the roof luggage rack and ran the cable to under the passenger side bed (with the rest of the electrical stuff) placed the amplifier there and the inside antenna by the mirror on the right of the sink.   The wire (13 feet) was run thru the opening where you store the sink and stovetop covers.  That way, it'out of the way, but moveable if needed.   It's 'directional  so you point it to the outside if you are under the awning.

Works well for us.
---
Don and Patti

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:08:48 am »
So yours is even closer than ours. Do you have issues with it kicking out due to feedback? I've wondered if it would be better to move ours closer to being under the outside antenna and maybe shielding the top but the adjustments needed to hold signal haven't been enough to motivate me to try it.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08:43:09 pm »
So yours is even closer than ours. Do you have issues with it kicking out due to feedback? I've wondered if it would be better to move ours closer to being under the outside antenna and maybe shielding the top but the adjustments needed to hold signal haven't been enough to motivate me to try it.
No,
I don't have feedback issues because the inside antenna is directional and sits right next to the mirror (where the silvering acts as a pretty good RF barrier since the outside antenna is another 10' back and about 5 feet higher than the inside antenna).
---
Don and Patti

Dave R

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Delivered 12/16/16
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand Full Body - modified
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:49:01 am »
I have a WeBoost 4G - X in a 2351.  The inside antenna is mounted just behind passenger seat (best reception within 3')  The outside antenna was installed by the rear ladder.  It usually boosts the signal about 2 bars.  The great thing about it is using a phone as a personal hot spot and placing it by the inside antenna.  This way our laptop and pads can be used inside and out.  Works great!

Dave