• PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Latches, the continuing saga
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 08:52:38 am »
I bought the 5 pound Southco ones and they seem to have about the same force as the BRD ones they replaced.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 09:16:06 am »
Can someone with the new design please measure the outside width of the pantry unit?
The interior dimensions are 8" wide by 46.5" high.  On mine it is built into the refrigerator cabinet, not a separate add on so no way to accurately measure the outside.

fandj

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 11:59:45 am »
When building the drawers for under the passenger side bed I used the Southco 10# latches.  We typically store fairly heavy can goods in the drawers and found the latches occasionally would open while traveling.  I had one of the two latches fail (broke the receiver part).  I ultimately replaced these latches with quarter turn latches.  These provide a strong mechanical lock to hold drawers in place while traveling. 

Like others I have replaced several BRD latches on various cabinet doors.  After replacing the latches twice on the smaller cabinet doors above the kitchen sink I replaced them with home cabinet style magnet latches as suggested by Barry and Sue.  So far these seem to be working well.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:26:17 am by fandj »

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2018, 03:19:49 am »
Thanks, all! I'll put a call in to Carol. We'll be driving by the factory in a few weeks and might be able to do a quick parts pick-up stop. I have to think about that though as I'm sure all sorts of things will be calling to us. NOT a new rig - we don't need a new rig. However, a few upgrades are already on the list.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 06:28:26 am »
Talking about drawers and opening on their own.....

I had reconfigured our galley base cabinet from 5 small drawers and a butcher block, DETAILS & PICTURES HERE to 3 massive drawers which by my measurements, increased storage volume by 85%.  As a result, the weight of the drawers increased tremendously, not just contents, but the drawers themselves.  I initially had 5 double-magnet latches per drawer to keep them closed.  Irene didn't like the "jerk" it took to open them, but that is what it took to hold them closed......or so I thought.

Our first major trip with our new galley, we were in Glacier NP in the south/east region on a scenic road that need some serious road work.  In a hair-pin turn, between the bumpy road and the weight of the drawers, all 3 flew open with such force that all the track-stops broke and all 3 drawers ended on the floor with a huge crash.  We spent the rest of the trip using our dinette cushions as insurance in-case the drawers popped open again for they would easily end up on the floor again.

In the end I installed all new tracks and kept 3 magnetic latches to hold the drawers closed while at-camp.  Irene liked the gentle force to open them.  I also added a locking button latch on each drawer which we have to remember to lock before moving the PC.  So far so good.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:34:46 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 09:54:19 am »
I also added a locking button latch on each drawer which we have to remember to lock before moving the PC.  So far so good.
  Ron do you have a link for those button latches?  I'm thinking I might have to go to those on my pantry.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
I also added a locking button latch on each drawer which we have to remember to lock before moving the PC.  So far so good.
  Ron do you have a link for those button latches?  I'm thinking I might have to go to those on my pantry.
Hi jatrax,

I don't have my source any longer.  I do recall that the gold finish I required was nearly impossible to find.  The current-day brushed aluminum finish and a few others were very easy to find.  It seems many suppliers offer the exact same mechanism from the same manufacture.  It is the finish-pieces that make-up your choices.

If buying them, you need to know they are not a smooth operating latch, that is until I doused the internals with silicone spray.  That was some years ago and the one-time silicone application continues to do well to this day.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 04:42:04 am »
John, I was just looking at those latches on the Southco site https://www.southco.com/en-us/m1-2a. I recommend browsing their products for what you want then searching the internet with the model number you've chosen to find the best deal. That search may net you other manufacturers and comparisons also.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net