• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2018
  • Model: 2910
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sandstone
Where Do You Store Stuff?
« on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:51 am »
We're coming from Class A units where storage isn't a problem so downsizing to a 2910 means getting rid of some things and being smart about where we store stuff.  Rather than to "re-invent the wheel", could some of you experienced Phoenix Cruisers tell us what you keep where (outside compartments and inside if you think it would help)?  It seems like every time I get something out, I'm thinking there's a better, more logical place to store it based on how often I need it, where it's used, etc. Thanks for your help in advance!

Mike and Cindy

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Where Do You Store Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 09:33:22 am »
Hi Mike and Cindy,

If you are towing another vehicle, that is a great place to store things you pull out for camp-setup.  If not towing, well.....each PC model has it's own challenges.  In-general, when down-sizing your rig, you down-size what you bring along.  But you already know that.  Hopefully someone with your model will share some good detail with you.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

KB9OMH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/26/13
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 10:20:49 am »
Mike and Cindy
        Starting at the Door of my 3100 and going toward back, Drawer next to batteries, Tools, Air Compressor, Lube, Yard Blanket, Warning Triangles. Big Drawer pullout I have 2 small tubs with spare water accessories, Connections, Fill Tube for fresh water, hose seals, the other box has elect supplies. above pullout drawer Big accessories, Surge Protector, Grill, Big bag of the tools, Ham Radio Equipment. On the back I put Chairs and table, Small fold up. On the Drivers side Drawer I put Electric Cords, Water Hoses, Water Filter, I over do the electric cords, Made up 20A, 30A & 50A plus a 25 ft 30A Extension Cord. 50Ft water Hose cut to different lengths. Hope this will help

Jim & Rae Anne

PS I also added a 6FT 5in square post under the unit for the black hose.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 10:30:33 am »
Front passenger compartment:
Air compressor, tool bags, step stool, door mat, some spare parts.

Rear passenger compartment:
Lower bin: jack pads, chairs, boots, bucket, funnel
Upper shelf: Advanced Elements inflatable kayak

Rear trunk compartment:
50 amp electric cord, 20 amp electric cord, 50>30 adapter, 50>15 adapter, water hose, water filter, pressure regulator, spare water hose, wheel chock, trouble triangles, 3" slinky hose for emergencies, ax, jumper cables, spare water parts box

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 04:18:42 pm »
We have a 2100 and we store MOST of our stuff in our garage at home, and only take half of what we think we'll need. Seriously though, coming from a class B to the 2100 we keep all we need inside. I insist on not storing anything outside and refuse to take our cargo carrier or hang stuff from the ladder.
We figure our 2100 if very good looking and want to keep it that way rather than hang "stuff" from the exterior and make it look like a junk hauler.
Sorry, that' us.
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

ExStarlifter

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2018
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sandstone
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 05:48:11 am »
Great stuff - thank you very much and I can see I might need to re-think the arrangement I have.  On a slightly similar topic (I guess), I used the macerator for the first time and didn't bother to notice how the hose was arranged in the clips - I still haven't figured it out.  Could someone post a picture? 

Mike

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 06:19:11 am »
Just meander & hook the macerator hose back into it's storage area.  It will be longer than when the hose was brand new.  Just stuff the extra to compress it back into to the original deflated length.  The first few times is cumbersome, but you will become a pro at it soon enough.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:33:34 am »
We have a 2100 and we store MOST of our stuff in our garage at home, and only take half of what we think we'll need. Seriously though, coming from a class B to the 2100 we keep all we need inside. I insist on not storing anything outside and refuse to take our cargo carrier or hang stuff from the ladder.
We figure our 2100 if very good looking and want to keep it that way rather than hang "stuff" from the exterior and make it look like a junk hauler.
Sorry, that' us.
That has been my thinking too, so much that I told Phoenix to include the ladder in pieces inside our PC, not installed.  The only problem I have with that decision is that I have had to store the disassembled thing at home all these years.

About a rear storage hitch-mounted carrier.  They sell real nice water-sealed ones with integrated tail lights.  But I feel mounting any kind of rear storage compartment defeats the purpose of buying a short PC in the first place.

I have not studied the various PC models in-person, but it seems the model with the most storage will be model 2351 with a NO-slide-out dinette, and with the extra foot used to make an extra long rear corner bed.  The dinette benches offer piles of storage as do the extra deep and tall cabinets above the dinette.  The extra long rear corner double bed adds an extra foot to the exterior storage compartment underneath it.

Our older 2007 2350 has an exceptional exterior storage compartment.  I think Irene and I could both fit inside it together.  In subsequent model years exterior storage was reconfigured smaller to improve the weight distribution of a full fresh water tank.  Since offering a larger slide-out to include the fridge, Phoenix relocated the furnace from under the fridge to under the rear corner bed.  Our furnace under the fridge has the ductwork running behind the inverter to the bathroom and inside the adjacent dinette bench for heat forward, leaving our exterior storage unaffected.  With the furnace away from the bed, we also don't worry about our bedding blocking the furnace intake.  When Phoenix made the change-over, a galley drawer was sacrificed for a heat duct making the sacrifice even greater.  But I think they redesigned it after a few years because I see the sacrificed galley drawer returned.  Everything is a trade-off.  A bigger slide-out to include the fridge along with improved weight distribution, came at a significant sacrifice in storage.  If we were to order a 2351 today, we would have it built on an E450 chassis, NO slide-out, 6" longer bed & 6" wider galley, on the driver side have a huge dinette table with lots of leg room, and everything else configured exactly as we have today.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 07:12:40 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 09:12:51 am »
For me the key is need, vs want and placement based on frequency. IE, the Vair compressor is rarely needed, (thankfully) so itís stored where it takes a bit more to get it out, items like the first aid kit are readily accessible.  Frequently used items stored accordingly. Consider wants vs needs when loading, it will eliminate a lot. I worked abroad all over the world and had to drag my equipment where ever I was assigned. I quickly learned how to make certain items fill more than one task, be it a particular weapon or a piece of clothing. It all adds up quickly both in weight and required space.

From there it becomes a matter of choice. As one mentioned they wonít hang anything off the ladder, say a chair, not making it look like a junk hauler. I get it, to each their own, A different perspective is we donít want to drag the chairs inside making the interior look like a storage shed.

After a couple of trips go over what you really needed, used and what served its purpose as well as possibly multiple purposes and what you can get by without. Now you will have wants that you donít need but wonít go without but youíll figure it out . IE; say a propane fire pit or some other non essential thatís more enjoyment than requirement. If itís enough of a want, youíll find a way.