• PurchDate: April 2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: desert sand/cherry
  • ExtColor: toast
Progressive Industries EMS HW50
« on: July 04, 2018, 10:34:43 am »
I've been on the Alaska HWY for the last week or so - During this time I've seem daily, multiple power errors. The errors range from high or low frequency and/or high or low voltage. The PI EMS RW50 has performed as advertised, shutting down the power until the error clears.  Most of the campgrounds with power are off the grid and operate on generators.  Really glad I have the system.  I am also carrying a Hughes Autoformer, which I had to use numerous times in southern Canada campgrounds during an unusual 2 week heatwave.  With everyone running AC (in an area where AC is rarely used) park power in most campgrounds, was stressed and very low voltage was the norm.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Progressive Industries EMS HW50
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 11:56:26 am »
Very happy with mine as well.  However we did start getting some errors that were false.  At several different campgrounds I got an "Open Ground" error despite the fact that testing the power pedestal showed no issues.

I eventually discovered the error was being caused by the 50 amp RV input receptacle on the side of the coach.  The small metal ground pin was bent flat enough that sometimes it would not make contact with the male plug.  In one case it worked fine when I plugged in but as the sun moved to that side of the coach and heated things up the EMS suddenly reported "open ground" after working fine for almost 18 hours.

I bent the ground pin back out and have not had that error again.  So if you do get an "Open ground" error check the ground pin on the coach receptacle.

tswhitewater

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: desert sand/cherry
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 03:57:58 pm »
Thanks for the advice,  Thatís a great tip !!

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
I've been on the Alaska HWY for the last week or so - During this time I've seem daily, multiple power errors. The errors range from high or low frequency and/or high or low voltage. The PI EMS RW50 has performed as advertised, shutting down the power until the error clears.  Most of the campgrounds with power are off the grid and operate on generators.  Really glad I have the system.  I am also carrying a Hughes Autoformer, which I had to use numerous times in southern Canada campgrounds during an unusual 2 week heatwave.  With everyone running AC (in an area where AC is rarely used) park power in most campgrounds, was stressed and very low voltage was the norm.

Hey Tom,
I have had a Hughes AutoFormer for years.  It's a heavy booger and was wondering if I would carry it when I get my PC.  After reading your comment, I am going to carry it.  My toad will be a GMC Terrain.  I suppose I can just put in the cargo area of the toad. 

Speaking of Progressive Industries...I decided not to add the hard-wired EMS and buy a portable one.  Someone, I think on this forum, bought an EMS that is now manufactured by Hughes.  I am thinking of getting it, but it seems that Progressive Industries is the more popular of all the EMS's.

https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd50/

I look forward to y'alls next posting on your BLOG.

Cheers.... BarryT