• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 03/2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2009
  • Slide: Yes
Generator power
« on: July 09, 2018, 02:22:26 pm »
Posted earlier... but still not working. Cranked the generator ...Onan 4000, on a 2350 slide out.   AC power came on several times for about 10 seconds (red power light on TV) and would then go out.) Could not get AC power for coach systems from the generator. Shore power works fine on all systems. I have 120 volts in the N.O.(normally open.. generator side) contacts from the generator on the automatic transfer switch, but 0 voltage on the coach output terminals, and the relay stayed on the N.C. ( normally closed... shore power) side.  Changed the auto transfer switch... thinking the circuit board or relay was bad, and the result is the same... cannot get the relay to go to the gen side!!  Suggestions???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 02:24:40 pm by banshee74 »

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Generator power
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
If you have power to the transfer switch the only suggestion I can make is that either the ATS is bad or it is wired wrong.

I assume you do NOT have a hardwired surge protector?

You state that "AC power came on several times for about 10 seconds".  How did that happen if the ATS did not close to generator?  Check to see if the ATS is closing momentarily, actually you should be able to hear the contactor close if the door is off the box.  If so then it is reading AC voltage and closing then opening again for some reason.  Maybe the circuit board is bad or maybe the incoming power is not to spec.

Put a meter on the input wires and watch while it cycles, maybe the generator is not producing even voltage?

KB9OMH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/26/13
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:09:56 pm »
Had that happen to my unit a about 4 years ago. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. You might want to check it out

Jim

banshee74

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2018
  • ModelYear: 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:25 am »
I cant believe that two ATS's in a row are bad.  with shore power on and the gen running, I'm reading 120 volts at all three contacts....the shore power in (NC>>normally closed). the gen in (NO...normally open), and the latch is to the shore power side with the coach output also reading 120 volts.   Did a gen tuneup and it cranks right up and runs steady.     The only alternative I'm seeing is to try another ATS.......unless there vould be some other answer.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 11:14:40 am »
Have you contacted the factory yet?  It looks like you have a 2018 coach so I would say this is on Phoenix to get fixed.  I cannot think of anything else.

The generator is running and providing power to the ATS so the logical assumption is the ATS is faulty.  Or the power from the generator is not up to grade.

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 12:41:00 pm »
Are you using a Power Management System, like Progressive's?

Could be the Gen'r frequency is not within specs.

Lieutenant

• Our 2910 here in florida
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 26, 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: tan
  • ExtColor: brown
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »
have you checked your gasoline level?.....too low and Mr Generator has problems ...happened to me....filled up the tank and no problems!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:59:45 pm »
This is sort of "Out There", and maybe I don't fully understand the condition, but make sure your hot water heater is turned off from the 110V setting as well as your air conditioner and inverter.  It is good practice to have everything turned off before starting your generator.  Once the generator has been running and powering the microwave display, wait 30 seconds more and then one by one turn on what you need.  Just maybe too much is turned pre-on and the generator cannot initially supply the required power all at once.

It takes many seconds before the power transfer switch activates, causing the timed delay.

One other thing is the reset switch on the generator itself.  If the generator gets over-loaded, the reset switch pops and needs resetting.

Again, I am sorry for not understand the workings of a current-day PC, but my suggestions should apply across the board....just not sure any of it will apply to the banshee74's situation.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:10:43 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer