• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2018
  • Model: 2910
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sandstone
LED Taillight Bulbs Out
« on: July 09, 2018, 07:15:43 am »
We picked up our 2910D last month - the wife noticed yesterday that the 3 LEDs in the 4-5 o'clock position of one of the two inboard taillights are inop.  I sent a msg to Dave - I'm sure they will respond quickly, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen a problem with early bulb failure of the new LED taillights?

Mike

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: LED Taillight Bulbs Out
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:07:56 am »
We picked up our 2910D last month - the wife noticed yesterday that the 3 LEDs in the 4-5 o'clock position of one of the two inboard taillights are inop.  I sent a msg to Dave - I'm sure they will respond quickly, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen a problem with early bulb failure of the new LED taillights?

Mike

Not uncommon to see individual LED's ('elements') in an LED 'light assembly' not lit. I see them in trucks, buses, traffic lights etc. I did some searching to see if there was a defined limit of just how many elements, or a percentage of elements that do not work that render the entire assembly 'broken'.

With LED monitors, there usually is a dead pixel count that has to be met for a monitor to be considered defective under warranty. I cant seem to find such a clause for vehicle LED's.

Petersen MFG is a well known light manufacturer, so I checked with them.

""LED lights manufactured by Peterson Manufacturing Company ("the manufacturer") and sold under the PM LED, LumenX , Great White and Piranha brands are warranted to the original purchaser against defects in material and/or workmanship for the life of the product. ""  seems pretty cut-and -dry, right? But... conditions and exclusions apply.. 

"" Product failure is caused by the defect or malfunction of equipment or component(s) from a source other than the manufacturer."" is the key. Petersen does NOT make the resistors and LED's that make up an LED light assembly. So... if a few LED's fail to light, and its because either they failed or the resistors used with them did... not a warranty issue.

GROTE company has similar language- ""In no case shall the warranty be extended to defects in materials, components (which includes but not limited to bulbs),....""

So... looks like a few LED's out in an array still leaves it 'operational' and not a warranty issue. I would like to see somewhere a percentage, IE: over 30% of elements out defines failure of an array.  Little surprised it isnt easier to find.

The 4 inch STT lights on my coach are original, and do not use a standard connector. The connecting wires come right out of the case. They are flaking off insulation, and due for replacement even though they still light.  :'( 

Seen these on trailer trucks, and I like this style of light - but the picture is a bit confusing. Upper left is running light, upper right is all off. Lower center is running and center brake. I really like the way the running light 'rings' look.

ExStarlifter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 05:53:01 am »
More good information - and thanks for your investigative work!  I emailed Dave and a new light is on the way.  Will keep you posed.

ExStarlifter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:46:06 am »
New light arrived as promised along with an additional item I requested.  Great customer service!