• PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re-mounting the TV
« on: July 20, 2018, 05:54:48 pm »
The TV in our 2014 2552 began to slip down off the wall, blocking the two cabinet doors at the front of the moho. The mounting screws had backed out a bit so we pulled them all out and tried to re-mount the TV. The TV is held in place by six screws that screw into two triangular (cross section) pieces of wood about 1 foot long which themselves are attached to the TV with staples ( (WH) ). Of course, if we remount the same way I'll mount these pieces to the TV with screws, but is there a better way? The wood pieces are splitting where the screws penetrate, so I'll replace them with hardwood. Has anyone come up with a better way to mount the TV, i.e. not using wood?
John and Carol

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Re-mounting the TV
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 08:21:00 am »
I feel your pain.

Back in 2007, Phoenix wanted $1526 MSRP for a 20" 4:3 aspect ratio TV.  I installed my own 26" wide screen for a fraction of the cost, but mounting it was an engineering project.  I did challenging things to get it to fit right, angled right, stabilized right, cooled right, and also got out all the driving rattles.  I must have done "good" because it's been great since.

I dread the day I have to replace the TV.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:27:00 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:12:19 am »
John and Carol,

We mounted our own TV in our 2012 2551.  We wanted it to swivel for easier viewing.  You can see our previous posting here:

https://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=713.msg4850#msg4850
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:52:42 am »
John and Carol,
Have to rebuild our TV mount also.
Please update how you fixed yours.
Thanks.
Rand

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 03:24:49 pm »
I recently remounted ours with a swiveling unit I picked up from Amazon for $20, and it worked out pretty well.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBEOGZ4

I kept the original Westinghouse TV.  I removed the board it was mounted to and then removed the wall board behind it.  I used the large bolts included with the mount to bolt it to the wall board, but I had to pick up some self-locking nuts at the hardware store because the bolts are really intended to mount a much larger TV to the mount, not the mount to the wall.  After carefully measuring and installing the mount to the board, I screwed the wall board back onto the wall.

You can't buy a swivel mount that locks, so I had to get tricky at this point, to keep it from flopping around when traveling.  P.C. provided a U-shaped padded surround for that Westinghouse TV.  I turned it upside down so that the open end was on top.  This made a level spot at the perfect height to rest the TV when traveling.  The bottom of the TV has some screw holes that are intended to mount a table mount.  So I made a couple of hook-shaped gadgets out of some scrap aluminum and plastic tubing to attach to those screws, which rest on the padded surround.  The mount has enough play that I can just lift the hooks over the surround and it both supports the TV and prevents it from extending. 

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 03:46:05 pm »
Our 2014 2552 does not have a solid wall to mount the TV. Instead, six screws go from the cabinets on either side of the TV into an MDF panel attached to the back of the TV. This panel is not very solid and the screws had ripped out so I made a new panel out of 1/2" MDF (medium density fiberboard). I just copied the outline of the old panel onto a new piece of MDF and cut it out with a saber saw. This panel mounts to a plywood panel that is mounted to the TV using the industry standard method of mounting something to a TV. I transferred the triangular wood pieces from the old MDF to the new one with short screws (PC uses staples). Before I attached the MDF to the TV I held it up to the screw holes in the cabinets and marked where the screws would go, then predrilled for the screws. After attaching the new MDF panel to the TV and carefully aligning the predrilled holes with the mounting screws, I attached the TV to the PC. We have not yet taken a trip with this but driving around town has not loosened the TV.

I hope this helps.
John and Carol