• PurchDate: April 2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: desert sand/cherry
  • ExtColor: toast
Hankook tires
« on: July 27, 2018, 02:22:49 pm »
Just curious: what mileage life are you seeing with the Hankook tires.  I have a 2018 2552, weight 13400.

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
Re: Hankook tires
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 05:50:11 am »
I really doubt you will have to worry about wearing out the tires from mileage, but rather they will age out.  I wouldn't run them over 7 years for sure and you might want to consider changing them out at 5 years to reduce the chance of a blowout or tread separation.  Our fifth wheel came with General tires on it and after 4 years and 20,000 miles, we had one tire have a blowout and another a complete tread separation within 500 miles of each other.

At a Good Sam rally that we attended (after our tire failure experiences), a tire company representative spoke during a workshop and said that there are two actions that RV owners can do to reduce early tire failure.  The first was to maintain proper tire pressures and the second was to not park on concrete for extended periods of time without placing something between each tire and the concrete.  His suggestion was to use inexpensive plastic placemats like those available from Walmart.  His definition of extended periods was anything longer than 2 weeks.  He said that tests had shown that the lime used in concrete can cause a drying out of the rubber compounds in tires and over time it is believed that can cause premature tire failures.  When we return from a trip, we put a placemat in front of each tire and pull onto them when we are parking our unit in our storage building.  It takes only a couple of minutes and if it saves one tire failure, it is worth it. 

Gary

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 09:25:01 am »
Buy 303 protectorant, not ArmorAll.
Wipe all over face of tire every 3-4 months.

This will prevent surface cracks and keeps tires safe.

Michelin says 7 years

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 05:42:55 am »
At a Good Sam rally that we attended (after our tire failure experiences), a tire company representative spoke during a workshop and said that there are two actions that RV owners can do to reduce early tire failure.  The first was to maintain proper tire pressures and the second was to not park on concrete for extended periods of time without placing something between each tire and the concrete.  His suggestion was to use inexpensive plastic placemats like those available from Walmart.  His definition of extended periods was anything longer than 2 weeks.  He said that tests had shown that the lime used in concrete can cause a drying out of the rubber compounds in tires and over time it is believed that can cause premature tire failures.  When we return from a trip, we put a placemat in front of each tire and pull onto them when we are parking our unit in our storage building.  It takes only a couple of minutes and if it saves one tire failure, it is worth it. 

Gary
Interesting.  I have never practiced that and I have not seen any such damage.  But what you say makes sense.  I wonder if the age of the concrete, and how often the concrete is power-washed, makes a difference.  Our garage floor was 19 years old and washed a number of times when we bought our PC 11 years ago.  I never did seal the garage floor, wishing I had done so when the floor was new.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:08:29 am »
We now have brand new Hercules tires. We were in northern Minnesota when the rig picked up a vibration. I thought the front driver side tire was flat, low or loose. John checked it and all seemed well. Then it got bad with major shaking so we hunted an alignment shop in Bemidji and found Sadek's, who could fit us in two days hence. They weren't sure we were big enough to fit their racks so we stopped by so they could look. We explained the problem and he said bad alignment doesn't cause the shaking, worn tires do. Bad alignment causes worn tires. He came out to the rig, took one look at our original Michelin tires (30k miles on them) and he said they were crap. We had small cracks on the sides and tread was decent on all but the front. Those had developed an abnormal wear pattern with an inside strip wearing down. He recommended new tires and since we were planning to replace them when we took Chloe back to Maryland next month, we agreed. The Hercules reviews looked really good and he had the local fire truck, ambulance, school bus and lots off commercial trucks on his lot for service so we figured he had to do decent work so we ordered the tires.

We rolled out about 40 miles on decent paved roads to our campsite, parked the rig and played for a few days using the Subaru for transport. On the scheduled day, we headed in for new tires... And blew the outer passenger rear tire 25 miles from the shop. Arrrrgggh!! So very close. Sadek' s sent their service truck, put on the spare and we were at the shop in a bit over an hour and a half. The entire tread took off to places unknown and did a bit of damage along the way so we'll be getting one panel and some trim repaired and repainted. It could have been a lot worse.

A few notes:
1) John said getting the rig to the side of the road wasn't bad. There was no major wrenching of the rig when she blew. I'm not sure he realized the loud bang was the tire going. He thought the subsequent thump thump thump was the rumble strip. I was yelling to pull over, we blew a tire. It was luckily the outer dually. We figure it would have been much worse if it was the front. We didn't add any extra sway bars or other suspension improvements.
2) We have had moisture in the wide rear bin. This bin is connected to the spare tire bin. Our bolts were rusted. They got the tire off with effort. I plan to pull that tire again, clean off the rust and coat it all with Vaseline so we can get it off ourselves of needed.
3) We spent three weeks in northern Minnesota with bad-to-no phone service. We traveled many roads with no other cars or houses for miles. We were seriously lucky on many accounts. We found what seemed to be the perfect repair shop, we had phone signal when we needed it, we safely got off the road, and our guy had a service truck ready to roll. On the downside, John only gave the repair shop the truck key. He then lost the entire rest off the key ring while in Bemidji waiting for new tires to go on. My duplicate ring was in the rig so we'll be getting a whole bunch of keys made.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:07:29 am »
Update on previous post- the City of Bemidji called. They found our keys and are sending them to our PO Box free of charge. We had left messages with their visitor center and parks and rec department and it paid off. Life is good.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 05:59:10 am by 2 Frazzled »
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 11:25:27 am »
Those had developed an abnormal wear pattern with an inside strip wearing down.
I am seeing the same strange wear on our front tires.  Given what I learned about the situation with our front shock absorbers and the strange wear patterns as you describe, I am assuming the new HD Bilstein shocks I just installed will prevent the condition from worsening.  If we get a bad vibration in the front suspension, I will know why.

Given lots of tire thread and no cracking, I am hoping to run all our tires one more RVing season and replace all tires and upgrade to Alcoa rims off-season.  I would have done it already, but it's too much all in one year with our PC's other needs today with a new mattress, new HD Bilstein shocks, and other little changes to make.  I think we will be driving less than average with our PC this year, hence stretching the tires one more year.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:16:32 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »
Ron,

No... Inside (or outside) uneven tread wear on Front tires is 100% due to improper alignment.  Improper toe-in adjustment and/or camber.

---
Don and Patti

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 09:12:18 pm »
Ron,

No... Inside (or outside) uneven tread wear on Front tires is 100% due to improper alignment.  Improper toe-in adjustment and/or camber.
I will heed your warning and get my alignment checked right after the new tires are on.  I will also take the two old front tires to the alignment shop to show him what I had going on.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:14:39 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

lmichael

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 15, 2012
  • IntColor: Sterling
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:30:36 pm »
Interesting comment on tread separation.  My tires are the replacement Michelin tires from the 2014 recall.  Three weeks ago the tread pealed off the outside right rear tire.  Yesterday, the outside left rear tire tread pealed off.  Just wondering if the replacement Michelin tires have the same defect as the recalled ones. 

rdalton

• View Profile
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 08:33:39 pm »
Interesting comment on tread separation.  My tires are the replacement Michelin tires from the 2014 recall.  Three weeks ago the tread pealed off the outside right rear tire.  Yesterday, the outside left rear tire tread pealed off.  Just wondering if the replacement Michelin tires have the same defect as the recalled ones.

Wow, that's terrible.  How many miles did you have on the replaced Michelins?  LTX M/S 2's?

lmichael

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 15, 2012
  • IntColor: Sterling
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:18 pm »