• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
New Models
« on: August 12, 2018, 08:39:11 pm »
We've heard about new models from PC, some Transit chassis models, maybe some Chevy models with diesel, class c's. What would you like to see? What features and changes? I'd like larger fresh water and holding tanks.

Lynn

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: New Models
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:04 pm »
I would like to see a walk-around rear double/queen bedroom with no slide-out back there like RV companies used to make years ago.  I would like to see that offered in a 27-28 foot length.

Also I would like to see a high-stance rear double/queen bed against the back wall placed sideways in a 25-27 foot length.  Have a pass-thru rear outdoor storage compartment under the rear half of the bed, and a captain bed drawer and/or cabinet arrangement under the front half.  Again, not requiring a slide-out to achieve it.  A slide-out rear of the rear axle is horrid for weight distribution.

I would also like to see a seamless class-C cab-over bed as an option to the current-day B+ cap, keeping everything else identical.  Just interchange caps.  The "C" version should NOT cut the van's roof to reintroduce roll-over protection for driver and passenger.  Bump-up the cab-over ceiling but not exceeding the height of the a/c unit.  A sloping transition from the bump-up to the main roof would have a storage area for the people sleeping in that upper bunk.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:55:04 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

mikeh

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2351
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 09:48:26 pm »
Was at the factory last Thursday and Friday. Didn't get to see the new Transit 2100, because it was staged over at the Elkhart RV show which got postponed until next weekend due to rain/mud. As I understand, it's not yet a production model--but a prototype that may be placed in production depending on the reception it receives. I did look at the new 2351D which is being built for the Hershey show in September. Places the corner bed on a second slide-out to the passenger side. Also incorporates the Truma Combi unit that combines the furnace and water heater into one unit. That was essential because the furnace had to move from beneath the corner bed to accommodate the new slide. The Truma Combis have been in use for years in Europe due to more focus on "green" issues, and are now being used in some other US units (some Winnebago models for one). Speculation is that the new 2351D could become their second most popular model (behind 2552).

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:45:15 pm »
Was at the factory last Thursday and Friday. Didn't get to see the new Transit 2100, because it was staged over at the Elkhart RV show which got postponed until next weekend due to rain/mud. As I understand, it's not yet a production model--but a prototype that may be placed in production depending on the reception it receives. I did look at the new 2351D which is being built for the Hershey show in September. Places the corner bed on a second slide-out to the passenger side. Also incorporates the Truma Combi unit that combines the furnace and water heater into one unit. That was essential because the furnace had to move from beneath the corner bed to accommodate the new slide. The Truma Combis have been in use for years in Europe due to more focus on "green" issues, and are now being used in some other US units (some Winnebago models for one). Speculation is that the new 2351D could become their second most popular model (behind 2552).

I follow several Tiffin Facebook pages.  Several Tiffin Wayfarer owners are complaining about the Truma water heater.  It seems the only way to get it to work is set the temperature to a tolerable temperature and leave the cold water off.  When adding cold water to the mix, you get a cold shower.

Barry T

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:03 pm »
Don't really have any personal background with the Combi.  After seeing it at Phoenix I researched it a little on the net, and found mainly positive reviews.  I did talk with the engineer at Phoenix that designed the new slide in the 2351.  They had researched available units and felt that the Combi was about the most proven thing out there.  Evidently one of the positive attributes is much quieter operation for anyone sleeping, both because the unit is quieter to begin with and also because they move the unit from under the bed to under the kitchen cabinet.  He had good things to say about the Combi company reps; evidently they came to Elkhart and worked with him to line out the proper installation.  They are supposed to be back this week to fire it off and do the initial testing.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Hickory
  • ExtColor: Custom paint
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:19 pm »
I might have to go check them out at the California RV show in October   2o2
My early 2350-S has a huge storage compartment under the bed because  the furnace and converter are under the refrigerator, so it will be interesting to see what they did with the new 2351-S.

The Transit 2100 with a diesel engine could be a home run  if they found some weight  carrying  capacity and price it like the  current E350 model, in between the class B  Winnebago Paseo and the larger B+ View Profile / Navion IQ. Then follow with a 2nd floorplan that's just a carbon copy of the old Winnebago Rialta HD model, minus  the funky  telescoping  shower enclosure and tiny holding tanks. Give it a catchy  name instead of a model number and reshape the compact rv market  :)(:
Just Truckin' Around

Janey

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/19/14
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • ExtColor: Cafe
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:48:32 am »
We had 3 Rialta’s and loved them.  Would have bought a new one if they still made them.   Would love to see a similar floor plan - with slide and decent bathroom shower.
Suzanna Jane (aka Janey) and Sid Shazly

hutch42

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Wannabe
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012-2015
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 12:43:33 pm »

Curious if the new proposed 2351D rear bed slide out puts the head board faced out into the slide with a walk around, or just uses same positioning and slides out similar
to some of the Coach House models?

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:13:49 pm »
Hutch, the new 2351D puts the headboard faced out into the slide---the intent is to make the bed as much "walk around" as possible.  Since the one currently being built is the very first unit, they expect to make some refinements on future builds.  For instance, the slide cutout on this unit is so high, that with the slide topper there will be no room above it to mount the awning.  The reason is that the engineer wanted plenty of space above the bed to be absolutely sure that there was no claustrophobic effect for anyone laying in bed with their head toward the outside of the slide.  Also, the "walk around" on this first unit is fairly short, and only goes in a couple of feet from the foot of the bed before it hits a raised area.  I understand they want to expand that more on future builds to maximize the walkway.  They also expect to lower the slide cut-out in future to accommodate the full-length awning.  I'm sure there will be some additional refinements as well, based on their experience with this first unit.  Even so, the 2351D is not a prototype--it's an available model.  I understand that they expect to have it added to the listings over the next few weeks.

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 01:33:03 pm »
I wonder who is doing the design work on these new models? I assume Kermit is gone? The owners must have hired design engineers? The factory is rather small. When PC starts building these new models, will they be able to do it all in there current location? I've heard there are no buildings available in Elkhart for expansion at this time. I wonder if there will be PC dealers.

Lynn              ( I've bought one PC and now act like I'm the dominant share holder of the company)

hutch42

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Wannabe
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012-2015
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 01:56:40 pm »
Mikeh---thanks for info.  Sounds ambitious on PC's part.  Wonder if they will put it on a E450 as standard with the extra weight.

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 02:31:27 pm »
Lynn, the only new models that I have personal knowledge of are the 2100 Transit, and the 2351D.  I didn't even see the 2100, since it was staged over at the Elkhart RV show that got shut down because of weather.  I understand, however that it was built on the regular Phoenix manufacturing line, and I know that the 2351D is being built on the regular line--just folded in with all the other regular models.  I talked quite a while with the engineer that is building the new slide on the 2351D; I believe he said he had been at Phoenix most of a year. I didn't ask if he also did the new 2100 Transit, but I assume he may have.  I don't know the current status of Kermit.  There is still a mailbox labeled with his name along with all the other Phoenix employees, but I don't know if he is active.

Hutch, all of the Phoenix Ford models larger than the 2100 are now being built on the 450 chassis as standard.  That includes the 2351D, the regular 2351, and even the 2350.  They aren't using E350s on any of those models.

CalCruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 04:36:08 pm »
We had 3 Rialta’s and loved them.  Would have bought a new one if they still made them.   Would love to see a similar floor plan - with slide and decent bathroom shower.

Hi Janey. Which floor plans (s) did you own? Mine was the rare  FD Standard model  which had a  corner bed with a real full size residential type  matress. The  swiveling front  seats with flip down table  and barrel chair configuration was perfect for two.  At night we could extend  the bathroom slide-in to separate the bedroom from the front living room area if either of us wanted to turn in early,  as with our 2350  2o2.
The dresser with drawers next to the bed and tall corner wardrobe closet were great too. But the HD model , a hybrid of the FD and QD models that was introduced last,  turned out to be the best seller

The GVWR for the Transit is even less than the Sprinter, but having an existing  wide body design to work with allows Phoenix USA to build a right-sized Transit  without the need for a heavy and expensive slide out  or a huge investment in an all-new platform. Just paint it a solid metallic color and don't call it a 2100 !! 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:03:45 pm by CalCruiser »
Just Truckin' Around

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 04:47:53 pm »
My early 2350-S has a huge storage compartment under the bed because the furnace and converter are under the refrigerator, so it will be interesting to see what they did with the new 2351-S.
Actually the furnace was under the fridge and the inverter under the closet.  That change came along when the fridge was included inside the slide out in 2010.  That was a set-back decision with regards to outdoor storage for model 2350.

If I were to order a new PC 2350 today, I would ask them to make some of it like our old 2007, that being one.  Even though it's not ideal for weight distribution & handling, I also like our fresh water tank in back to make our outdoor storage so big.  I think Irene and I could painfully fit inside it together and close the door.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:51:00 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

CalCruiser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »
Hey Ron, when we go to the Pomona show  to see 2351S I will use your line  about our spaciously convenient 2350  storage compartment  :-D

All the  03-04's PC's also had 3 large  cabinets above the cab instead of a cutout roof,   one in the center with a roll-up door for a CRT tv. I have seen pictures of a similar Carri-Go with an actual bed in place of the overhead cabinets! I put 2 XL stacked  storage drawers in the center  cabinet and  a 21" tv on the passenger side transition wall with a tilt and swivel  under-cabinet mount for watching from the sofa.

I know for sure that  Phoenix would get at least 2 NO votes if they did a poll about putting a slide-out in the production model Transit 2100.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:23:33 pm by CalCruiser »
Just Truckin' Around