• PurchDate: 10/2019
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
Generator questions
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:09:39 pm »
It was exciting to see some pictures of our new RV going down the production line this week.  It was in the "trim department" with the next step getting the slide installed.  This RV has a generator where our current one does not.  I am curious how much gasoline the generator will consume with the air conditioner on.  Can anyone give me a rough idea of how many gallons I should expect to be consumed in 8 hours of running the generator?  I understand the generator fuel line does not go to the bottom of the gasoline tank so there is no risk of running the gas tank dry.  Also, is it okay to run the generator with the RV air conditioner on while travelling down the road?  I don't think I will need to do that since the Ford air conditioner seems quite capable of keeping the RV cool.  I am curious if it is common for people to run the generator with the RV in motion.

Thanks!

JJ

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Re: Generator questions
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:36:28 pm »
The Onan website has a lot of information.  Here is the "generator handbook"  https://power.cummins.com/sites/default/files/literature/rv/F-1123-EN.pdf
See page 61.  Says .7 gal per hour at full load.

- Fuel line is supposed to be at about 1/4 tank so you never run out of fuel.
- Definite OK to run the generator while driving.  I've only done it once when it was super hot but lots of folks do it all the time in other rigs.
- Keep up on your maintenance and monthly exercise

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 05:01:28 am »
When we had our DP, the cab A/C was a joke.  We would run our generator continuously to power one or both of the roof air conditioners when we were driving down the highway.  In fact, during cold weather, the cab heater also was near worthless and we would just have the two furnaces turned on and running when we were in travel mode.  We didn't want our doggies to start to complain  :)!!!
Gary

PS: So far we haven't found that to be the case with our Phoenix.  Ford's heater and A/C do a great job.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:03:10 am by Free2RV »

JJCruiser

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 10/2019
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 07:16:38 am »
Thank you for information!  The link to Onan's generator handbook was very helpful and I have just completed reading it.  It did have a lot of very useful information, but it did generate several more questions:

1)  I know that PC uses a 4KW Onan Generator, but I am not sure what model.  Is it the RV QG4000 or RV QG4000 EVAP?  I am not sure of the differences.
2)  I assume it is not Electronic Fuel Injected?  It sounds like generators with EFI are not as susceptible to stale fuel issues.  It makes me wonder why Onan does not offer EFI for the 4KW generator.
3)  I read that there is a "float drain" that can be opened to drain gas out while in storage.  By doing that, does it prevent the need to exercise the generator every month?
4)  Do most people add the OnaFresh GXLP Fuel Stabilizer?  It is not as expensive as I thought it could be.  I read 16 ounces treats 40 gallons.  Found a 16 ounce bottle for a little over $6 plus shipping.  https://www.rvautoparts.com/326-5365-Cummins-Power-Generation-Fuel-Stabilizer-Use-To-Keep-Fuel_p_7394.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrvr9-tyZ3QIVCLnACh2-6AdQEAYYAyABEgIJVvD_BwE
5)  What about the Onagard Storage Fogging Spray?  I assume that is sprayed into the air intake of the carburetor prior to storage? 
6)  Is the starter of the generator powered from the Ford battery or the house battery?   It would make sense that it would be the Ford battery but wanted to make sure.
7)  I understand the battery charger can have a big impact on generator load.  What is the max power draw for the PC battery charger?
8)  On the new RV, we included on the order the Auto Generator Start/Stop option. I assume this is the Energy Command 30.  We bought that in case we were parked and the shore power went out, the generator would automatically start and run the AC to keep the coach cool.  Based on what I read on page 58 of the Generator Handbook, this also automatically starts the generator when the house batteries run low.  So, for example, if we are heading south in cold temperatures and stay the night at a rest area or Walmart, we can have the furnace running on propane and when the furnace blower runs the the battery down to a specified level, the generator will start automatically to keep the batteries charged?  Once the batteries are charged, the generator stops automatically?   If true, this would be great.  Beats running the generator the whole time we are parked. 

Sorry for all the questions.  While we have been RVing for a long time, I am sure a newbie when comes to having a generator on-board.

Thanks again,

JJ

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 03:06:29 pm »
The generator starter power comes from the house batteries, but if you run Ford engine that would supply the power to batteries & Generator starter.
I wonder at what voltage the automatic system turns on the generator. If it's very low it would probably run the rest of the night anyway.
I have never used Stabil or anything like it, I don't drain any gas from generator or spray anything into it. I do run my generator under load for 10-15 minutes every 4-6 weeks. I have had zero problems, in two different PC's.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:31:33 pm »
Our generator, chassis engine, and a/c unit all have been extremely reliable for 11 years now.  I never run anything during storage times which is for more than a half year at a time.  A few years, everything has sat for 1.5 years without being started.  We store our PC at home indoors and heated in winter which may positively influence matters.  I do occasionally charge the house batteries and disconnected chassis battery, maybe every 2nd or 3rd month during storage times.

The best thing I did with our PC systems was replacing the two wet acid 12V house batteries, with two 6V AGM batteries.  We just completed year #4 and they are still as strong as year #1.  I do rely primarily on my Black & Decker step charger via generator power on trips and pole-power at home.  Nothing charges our batteries more effectively than that thing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:36:37 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer