• PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Sun shade
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:30:01 am »
We just bought a Coolaroo Sun Shade Saleat Costco https://www.costco.com/Coolaroo-13'-x-7'-Rectangle-Shade-Sail.product.100395364.html and plan to get clips to slide it into our awning track then stake out the sides. It was only $24 which I thought was great compared to real RV awning shades. We haven't tried it yet but i wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they want to buy before they are gone. Our choices were " stone" (beige) or brown. It comes in one of those vinyl zipper pouches for easy storage. I promised John I would offload some of the tapestries (hippie rags) I carry in exchange... But not all of them. They are too darn handy to ditch them all. We won't remove the ropes on the sail as that will allow us to hang it other places if needed.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

biglegmax

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: ordered a 2017, got a 2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2018 2350 e450 4x4
  • IntColor: lots
  • ExtColor: white,no paint,or decals
Re: Sun shade
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 11:10:00 am »
This caught my attention. We ordered our PC without an awning because we a doing some exterior changes, and want to add the awning last, and without power. This sunshade would get us through until we figure it out, or maybe will work forever who knows.
You mention "clips" to attach to the awning rail, could you enclose a link for such a product? 

Thanks, and lots of hippie rags are always good thing..
Doug

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:59:50 pm »
.....and want to add the awning last, and without power.  Doug
Doug,

If you must have a non-electric awning, consider a manual cranking box awning like what Phoenix used to offer 11 years ago, one being on our PC here.  I am sure Phoenix can still get them.  They will order it to match the length of your PC, the awning material color will match your PC color scheme, and Phoenix includes it in their full body paint-work as shown.  The crank and center support are stored inside the PC door jamb, clipped nicely to the sides, not in your way at all.

Ron
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:03:37 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:54:29 am »
I ordered these https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-42693-Party-Light-Holder/dp/B0006IX7W4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1528192082&sr=8-3&keywords=awning+clips+for+rvs but am going to have to add grommets to the shade/sail for the hooks to go through. I've done a lot of camping with tarps as shelter and don't feel confident that the edge of the shade will hold up to the torque of the wind if I just punch grommets through the windscreen plastic fabric. My plan is to either repurpose sections of an old tarp that had grommets or make new heavy duty tabs and punch grommets through. I'll then sew the heck out of them to secure them to the sun shade.

biglegmax

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: ordered a 2017, got a 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018 2350 e450 4x4
  • IntColor: lots
  • ExtColor: white,no paint,or decals
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:08 pm »
2 frazzled, I just got a set of those in the mail today. I assumed they were metal, wrong assumption!
 I think they will work if the shade is fairly light. I haven't got to Costco yet, so I'm just  guessing this is not very heavy. I totally agree it will need grommet backing.

Ron,

You had posted your box awning in another post months ago. This was something that I would have ordered, but at the time PC was going through the change and for some reason was not interested in making very many options available. I could never figure out why they wouldn't have wanted to max out the build, I would have and am currently in the process of doing lots of things(10k worth) the factory could have made a profit on. Oh Well...

I like the simplicity of a manual box style, Is this mounted on the awning rail, and do you know if the awing brackets(not awning rail) are through mounted?

Thanks to both,

Doug

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 06:40:56 pm »
I like the simplicity of a manual box style, Is this mounted on the awning rail, and do you know if the awing brackets(not awning rail) are through mounted?

Thanks to both,

Doug
Hi Doug,

The manual box awning sure has "simplicity" going for it as far as it's impact to the rest of the motor home.  But it is far from simple to operate by comparison to the current-day electric awning.  I am on the fence at times over which is really the better choice.  I love our box awning until I have to open and close it often.  On occasion is fine, but a daily routine would surely get old.

Our box awning is cleanly mounted against the under-side of the rain gutter, flat to the side of the motor home.  It has a very clean look about it because of the way it was mounted.  I've never seen any kind of mounting hardware.  I assume the mounting screws could be seen when the awning is open, but I never looked for them.

Our awning box seems to seal-up quite nicely for when I open it, it is as dry or as wet as when I last closed it.

Ron
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:49:14 am »
Update on our sunshade:

It works! I bought the grommet kit and we set them into the sunshade. You set the grommets by pounding with a mallet. It was a VERY noisy morning at the campground but it was mostly empty and nobody came to throw us out so all went well.

We leave the plastic awning hook things in the awning when we roll it up and there is no sign of rubbing or wear. They've been there for four months now. We slide them along to set the shade where we want it. It isn't nearly as long as the awning so we have to pick our shade zone.

The metal hooks live in a baggie in the Coolaroo zipper bag with the shade itself and it all drops into our pull out drawer. We carry big ten penny nail tent stakes that also live in that drawer so we just use them for the shade.

We removed the two ropes on the side with the grommets. We kept them so we can reattach if we use the shade away from the RV awning. They are spliced. I carefully undid the splice, then spliced them back to keep the rope from unraveling. We can easily reattach those two ropes with a caribiner (we carry a few).

We usually camp under trees but the times that we were stuck in full sun, we rolled out the awning and attached the shade. It makes an immediate difference. We could probably leave it out with the stakes holding the awning in place but we always pull the awning in at night so the shade goes on and off as needed. It only takes a few minutes.