• NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
How many miles
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:37:50 pm »
Any owners have over 100,000 miles? 200,000?

Lynn

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: How many miles
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:18 pm »
Ask again in 16 years.  Coming up on 12 years and we have not yet hit 40,000 miles.   :lol
If we didn't tow, our PC would have significantly more.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:56:31 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Rick Leddon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/16
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: cream
  • ExtColor: brown
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:53:02 am »
I bought a 2012 2910t three years ago. I'm surprised how little we use it. It had 35000 when we got it and now has 42000. Picked up in Florida and drove 1200 miles home. Sat for almost 2 years then a 2500 mile trip to California. 6 months later a trip to North Carolina and Florida. Hope for another trip to Calif. in March 2019.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 03:19:43 pm »
John says we're at around 38,000 miles. Bought new in 2013. Full time for a little over 2 years of that with a couple long trips and many short trips during the three years we were grounded in Maryland. We tow a Subaru so our preferred touring method is to drive from one base camp to the next for a week or more of exploring or just hanging out at each spot. The Phoenix stays at camp while the Subaru shuttles back and forth to the sights. We almost always find more than enough to entertain us at each stop. The longest we've stayed in one spot is two weeks but we're applying for some interpretive host jobs so we expect to stay in one spot longer in the future.

Are you trying to figure out how many miles people put on in a year or how long the rig will last?

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 08:24:01 pm »
John says we're at around 38,000 miles. Bought new in 2013. Full time for a little over 2 years of that with a couple long trips and many short trips during the three years we were grounded in Maryland. We tow a Subaru so our preferred touring method is to drive from one base camp to the next for a week or more of exploring or just hanging out at each spot. The Phoenix stays at camp while the Subaru shuttles back and forth to the sights. We almost always find more than enough to entertain us at each stop. The longest we've stayed in one spot is two weeks but we're applying for some interpretive host jobs so we expect to stay in one spot longer in the future.

Are you trying to figure out how many miles people put on in a year or how long the rig will last?
Both

JackD

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2017 (latest)
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 09:39:40 am »
Our 2350 is a year and a half with 26,000 plus - one trip to the west (reunion on Bend, OR, and a recent trip to Alaska, OR. & CA...and ready to go again!!!
Jack

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:12:10 pm »
I would love to go to Alaska for 6 weeks or longer, but being away from everything else in life makes it a trip yet to be taken.

To people here who've been to Alaska in a motor home, how many weeks did you go for?  Is 6 weeks too many, too few, or just right?  We've been to Banff & Jasper a few times.  We could zoom past them for the sake of time.

One more question about AK, is a tow vehicle worth it in a 2350?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

bhgareau

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 05/12
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: dusk
  • ExtColor: sterling
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 07:37:11 pm »
Direct drive from Chicagoland to Alaska is pretty much a 7 day drive each way at 500 miles a day. (We have done it a dozen times). There are a lot of reasons for stops and side trips besides Bannf and Jasper. Once you get to Alaska 3 - 6 weeks depending on your objectives for a road tour and a few activities. Lots of people drag a vehicle, I don't think it's needed unless you drive a gigantic DP.

fandj

• View Profile
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:16:44 am »
Ron,
We went to Alaska in 2014.  We pulled a Casita camper with a Toyota Tundra.  We left VA on May 15 and returned the end of September. The trip included about 6 weeks of touring S.D.WY, MT, Yoho, Banff, and Jasper.  We went up the Alaskan Highway and returned down the Cassiar Highway.

On the Canada /Alaska part of the trip we typically drove 100-200 miles between campgrounds with several one night stays. The longest stopover was about 7 days with typical stays of 2-3 nights.

Though we used the pickup a good bit for touring most of the places we went we could have taken our 2552.  If we go back we would only take the Phoenix.

As to time needed I would think 10 weeks minimum including the driving time from VA.  We enjoyed the drive through Canada as much as Alaska.  We went without any campground reservations and only a general itinerary of what we wanted to see.  The flexibility of having shorter or longer days and whether we only wanted to stop for one night or several added immensely to our enjoyment.  The journey was as much fun as the destination.

In my opinion Alaska is an RV paradise.  There are so many places to Boondock as well as state and Federal campgrounds.  The Provincial campgrounds on the Cassiar were the most beautiful we have seen in all of our travels.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:45:05 am by fandj »

rvrunner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 09:38:37 am »
Nice post, who wouldn't want to go to Alaska after reading your comments.

Lynn

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 01:24:13 pm »
Thank you so much for the Alaska insights.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

JackD

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 2017 (latest)
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 04:54:27 pm »
Hey Ron -

We took 3 months for the entire trip -- about 6 weeks in Alaska. including a week and a half in Denali (the furtherest you can drive to, dry camping for one week, and more modern for 4 days.  It took 24 days (kind of liesurely from here DE to Whitehorse, YT (which I HIGHLY recommend), via the Trans Canada Hwy.  Instead of returning right away, we went down the OR coast & visited my daughter in CA, which added 3 weeks.  In all, when you retire, DO THE TRIP!!!  I've learned enough about you on this forum (and seeing you in Glacier NP) that you will love it.  As was said, Provincial parks in Canada are wonderful, as well as those in Alaska.

Jack

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 11:05:05 pm »
Did Alaska first time in 2017. Was suppose to be the one and only, but loved it so much we are hoping to return in a few years. At least 6 weeks in Alaska and time for other stops along the way.  So much to see in Canada (even without stops at Jasper or Baniff). There are places where you will want reservations like Denali and Skagway because all the caravans are rolling through and they reserve up a lot of the better RV parks. Same goes at a few places in Canada. No problem with our 2100 anywhere, but we rented a car in Fairbanks (4 days) and Anchorage. (5 days). We also took 2 side trips--a van trip to Coldfoot on Dalton Hwy, spent the night and flew back to Fairbanks. Then flew to Barrow for an overnight. Both well worth the time and money. Also a fly-in to Lake Clark National Park. Then we took the ferry from Homer to Bellingham, Washington. Not cheap, but when you deduct what it would cost (money, time and wear and tear) to drive back, not so expensive.  You cannot sleep in your RV on the ferry.  We rented a cabin, but there are other options like deck chairs or a tent in the areas where allowed. I did daily newsletters of our trip. If you (or anyone) are interested, PM me at RheaNL@hotmail.com and I will send them.