• PurchDate: ordered a 2017, got a 2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2018 2350 e450 4x4
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: lots
  • ExtColor: white,no paint,or decals
Jacks up or down?
« on: December 09, 2018, 03:47:33 pm »
This is my first experience with leveling jacks. Going into winter we will be using the PC less. Any thoughts on leaving the jacks down, taking some of the weight off the springs?
That seems reasonable, just wondering if they are down, what would be a maximum time limit before they get worked? Or other thoughts?
Doug

hutch42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: Interested in the new Ford Transit Diesel models
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: New TRX
Re: Jacks up or down?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 07:13:25 pm »
Look at questions 54-58   This is HWH levelers....which I think PC still uses.  Does not indicate how much weight.  A call to them may help

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml20673aafaq.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:32:36 pm by hutch42 »

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 07:17:32 am »
I have never had levelers, so have no idea what should be done with them while in storage, but the original question begs me to ask:

Why would you want to take weight off the springs?
---
Don and Patti

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 08:54:46 am »
Look at questions 54-58   This is HWH levelers....which I think PC still uses.  Does not indicate how much weight.  A call to them may help

We don't have levelers, but....

What immediately came to mind was to use them as biglegmax wants to.  Right after extending them, spray the shafts with WD-40 to prevent rust from forming on them.  Months later when it's time to retract them, first clean the shafts with a solvent to remove all dirt that the WD-40 collected.  Any shaft-metal less than perfectly smooth, clean with #0000 steel wool, then clean with a solvent again.  Then respray the shafts in preparation for seasonal operation.

If I owned levelers, I would do all that whether I extend them during storage or not.

The only looming concern I have with storing the rig raised on levelers is that the shocks will also be extended, but they won't get the same care in their extended state.  If you can spray their shafts, how well can you clean them?
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:24 pm »

We don't have levelers, but....

What immediately came to mind was to use them as biglegmax wants to.  Right after extending them, spray the shafts with WD-40 to prevent rust from forming on them.  Months later when it's time to retract them, first clean the shafts with a solvent to remove all dirt that the WD-40 collected.  Any shaft-metal less than perfectly smooth, clean with #0000 steel wool, then clean with a solvent again.  Then respray the shafts in preparation for seasonal operation.

If I owned levelers, I would do all that whether I extend them during storage or not.

The only looming concern I have with storing the rig raised on levelers is that the shocks will also be extended, but they won't get the same care in their extended state.  If you can spray their shafts, how well can you clean them?

Ron,
WD-40 is about the worst thing to put on a hydraulic cylinder that will be extended long term.   WD-40 stays wet and collects dust and dirt. Even a thorough cleaning won't get all the crud off.  Always use a dry lubricant that may spray on wet, but very quickly drys.   Silicone spray lubs are perfect for that.   In fact, they are recommended for hydraulic cylinders that are left extended for long periods of time.
---
Don and Patti

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 03:13:27 pm »

[/quote]

Ron,
WD-40 is about the worst thing to put on a hydraulic cylinder that will be extended long term.   WD-40 stays wet and collects dust and dirt. Even a thorough cleaning won't get all the crud off.  Always use a dry lubricant that may spray on wet, but very quickly drys.   Silicone spray lubs are perfect for that.   In fact, they are recommended for hydraulic cylinders that are left extended for long periods of time.
[/quote]

I have been meaning to get all my PC info, especially the HWH manual, and verify my thoughts, but, I have been too lazy.  I'm pretty sure I read not to use WD40...AND, I think I read to use nothing and only wipe down.  If I can get out of my Paul's Seating, Inc. euro chair, I will retrieve the manuals which are safely under the driver side bed in my PC.    Actually, this is very important to me also, since I am in Rockport, Texas and subject to the "Corpus Crud".

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 03:33:33 pm »
Wow, that is very surprising to read.  I spray WD-40 all the time on things I want to protect including hydraulic shafts and such.  I clean them with a solvent when it's time again to use them.  But......

Don't listen to me, listen to donc13 and Barry T with the manual in front of him.

I better not share what I used to protect with WD-40 for 23 years.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

bftownes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:27:40 pm »
Wow, that is very surprising to read.  I spray WD-40 all the time on things I want to protect including hydraulic shafts and such.  I clean them with a solvent when it's time again to use them.  But......

Don't listen to me, listen to donc13 and Barry T with the manual in front of him.

I finally decided to dig out all the manuals.  Took me all of 60 seconds, including the time to get out of my Paul's Seating, Inc euro chair and walk to the bed. 

I also enjoy using WD40 on yard tools and such to prevent rust and will use it on outdoor hinges and such as a lubricant.  I also used WD40 to spray and wipe my levelers on my diesel pusher.

Here is what my HWH manual says...."There are very few serviceable parts on the leveling jacks.  The jacks require very little maintenance.  If the jacks are extremely dirty with caked on mud they should be washed.  The jack rods do not need to be oiled or sprayed with anything.  See maintenance, SYSTEM ADJUSTMENT".  Then there is another sentence in the "Jack Adjustment" section ...."The only maintenance is to keep the jacks clean by washing and oiling the pivot points several times a year when doing general maintenance".

I am certainly not a "wrench", as I have said many times and can only rely on what I read and hear from reliable sources.  I must admit it is mighty inviting to spray those shiny jack rods with WD40 and wipe down. 

Oh, my operator's manual is for "HWH TOUCH PANEL-CONTROLLED 725 SERIES LEVELING SYSTEM"

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:31:08 pm by bftownes »

bftownes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:33:30 pm »

Ron, are you one of those who sprays their arthritic joints and fishing lures with WD40?!?   roflol  :lol

Barry T

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 04:57:35 pm »

Ron, are you one of those who sprays their arthritic joints and fishing lures with WD40?!?   roflol  :lol

Barry T
Hey.....Those are great ideas!    roflol  :lol
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

fandj

• View Profile
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 06:50:37 pm »
I have never sprayed the leveling jack rods with any solvents or lubricants so have no personal experience.  I found in this HWH document a reference to clean with WD-40.  Right or wrong I think I would follow HWH’s recommendations.  I think of WD40 primarily as a solvent with “Water Dry (WD)” agents.

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml47149.pdf

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 05:46:33 am »
I have never had levelers, so have no idea what should be done with them while in storage, but the original question begs me to ask:

Why would you want to take weight off the springs?

Many times on leaf springs, like we have in back, debris and water can get between the leaves of the spring. During periods of inactivity, the leaves can corrode together, often making for a very stiff ride until they break free, if they do.

If you leave the springs in a 'relaxed' state, or 'wheels hanging' , when you return the vehicle to the ground it uses the vehicle weight to flex the spring and free things up.

Sorta had a proof of this when we stopped putting our Jeep Commando plow truck in the air each spring. The first winter the springs freed up around the middle of the winter, the second year it stayed solid.  Probably contributed to it finally cracking in half. That and the rust! 

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:43:34 pm »
Over the years I have owned 6 motorhomes with hwh jacks, always stored with jacks up, only lubricated the pivot points, never touched the hydraulic rams, never had any problems.
2014 Sprinter 2350

biglegmax

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: ordered a 2017, got a 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018 2350 e450 4x4
  • IntColor: lots
  • ExtColor: white,no paint,or decals
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 11:14:27 am »
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm with Ron, WD-40, and Saran wrap get used on just about everything in my life!

6 sets of jacks, no problems, I think that is about as good as it gets..

When I ordered the PC,  I was having a hard time justifying the added price for the jacks. After 10k miles its one thing I really enjoy, and I would do it all over again, not so with other options.

Doug