• PurchDate: 10/2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: PC 3100
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Custom
Photo History of the Build of My New 2018 Phoenix Cruiser 3100
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:45:39 pm »
For those who might be interested I have posted 148 photos documenting the build of my 2018 Phoenix Cruiser Model 3100 on the following website: "https://rvbuildproblems.com/".  I took delivery of my PC on October 5th, 2018.  I like everything about my PC except for the failure of my living room slide-out.  I'm still waiting for PC & Lippert Industries to come up with a solution-so I'm still stuck with a new PC I can't travel in.  Although, I am currently living in it full time.

John

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
Re: Photo History of the Build of My New 2018 Phoenix Cruiser 3100
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:17:38 am »
I love your documentation. Thanks!

Re: overweight... When you scaled, did you have any other cargo on board? (besides the you, the propane and 3 water tanks listed on the slip)

We had been looking at longer coaches on the 450 chassis... but your writings confirm some of my weight worries.

Awesome pics! Really gives a look into the build process. Thanks again.

jam4travel

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 08:16:46 am »
I love your documentation. Thanks!

Re: overweight... When you scaled, did you have any other cargo on board? (besides the you, the propane and 3 water tanks listed on the slip)

We had been looking at longer coaches on the 450 chassis... but your writings confirm some of my weight worries.

Awesome pics! Really gives a look into the build process. Thanks again.

Volkemon, when I weighted my coach it was also fully loaded with my normal personal belongings as a full timer.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:48:17 am »
Wow... all you have to do is keep all tanks empty and find another 500 pounds of stuff to remove...  :beg 

Guess 31 feet on a 450 chassis doesnt leave a lot of cargo allowance.

Whats the cargo weight rating on the PC sticker?

jam4travel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:48 am »
Wow... all you have to do is keep all tanks empty and find another 500 pounds of stuff to remove...  :beg 

PC didn't place a CCC or OCCC sticker in my coach.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 01:14:45 pm »

PC didn't place a CCC or OCCC sticker in my coach.

had to google OCCC  new words for me, only about 10 years out..  :lol... http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=26115.0

I just looked at your 'profile' and see you took delivery within the last 90 days.  I hope the problems with the slide is not stoipping you from asking for a sticker, or them giving you one. Almost seems like it would be a legal requirement....  (WH)  Hmmmm

Well... did you look in these locations for the label?

To promote a consistent conspicuous label location, the final rule specified that permanent load carrying capacity labels be affixed to the interior of the forward-most exterior passenger door on the right side of the vehicle and be visible. As an alternative, to address aesthetic considerations, the rule permitted manufacturers to place a temporary label to the interior of the forward-most exterior passenger door on the right side of the vehicle and to apply a permanent label in the area of the vehicle specified by FMVSS Nos. 110 and 120 for tire information.
Source - https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2010/04/29/2010-9981/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-cargo-carrying-capacity

same info here but a bit older..

On Type B and Type C motor homes, the temporary or permanent load carrying capacity label will be placed on the inside of the passenger door to the cab of the vehicle. Also, if no doors exist on the right side of the vehicle, the permanent or temporary load carrying capacity label will be placed on the inside of the inner door on the rear of the vehicle.

source - https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2007/12/04/E7-22962/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-cargo-carrying-capacity

Pretty sure they have to legally supply you with that label. I AM GUESSING however. May be worth some more research.

jam4travel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 02:15:22 pm »
Volkemom, Thank you for all the good info.  Yes, I agree an OCCC sticker/label is legally required.  However, I'm afraid a lot of manufacturers don't comply.  BTW I did send PC an email and asked them where they placed my OCCC label.

John

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: Hoping to own a PC soon.
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:49 pm »
John: Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures! Very helpful.
They sure do seem to take a lot of pride into their workmanship, especially the wiring and plumbing.
I have seen pictures of even high end Tiffins where the wiring is a rats nest.

Wondering how busy the shop was when you were there. Were there a lot of units being built?
I watch their inventory for sale on the web site and it seems like nothing has been added or sold in quite a while.
Maybe they are busy with special orders?

Did you get to spend much time there during the build?
How long did it take to build yours from time of order and then once started?

Good luck on your slide issue.
Regards, Jim G.

Pappy T

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2551
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:22:09 pm »
Hi John, can sympathise with your build , had a new car a handful of years ago with bad steering issues, factory found issue and had dealer correct and a month later had a TSB on the issue . Got rid of that wreck for a minivan , upgraded it and a year later and a tree fell on that onet ! Got another with , again , steering issues , almost a year later..lemon lawed that one .  Goes to show that stuff happens , shouldn't but it does .

Thanks a ton for the pictures , agree with Jim G there on a lot of his post, questions too . Being a prospective buyer, it means a lot .
Couple follow up questions from seeing pics .. I assume your batteries still slide out , being side mounted ?   Are those insulated/thermo windows ? Glass I assume if thermo ?   The vent pipe (?) in bath towel closet is visible like that after build ??  The cab window covers... nice and where did those come from ?

An extra Thanks for the roof shot , first real roof shot I've seen on a Phoenix !
Hope all goes well with slide issue for you . Pappy !

jam4travel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 10:11:13 pm »
Jim,

My build was not typical.  My original PC order was placed the last part of January, 2018 at a RV show in Florida.  I originally placed an order for a 4X4, but after I found out I was 601 in line at Quigley for a 4X4 conversion I decided to forgo the 4X4 option.  However, that created some other problems-I still wanted the special options that were ordered for the 4X4 conversion (limited slip differential, 225 amp alternator, engine block heater, & instrument panel messaging center).  PC would not have my cutaway chassis drop shipped to Quigley shipped back to Elkhart, so they had to have one of their regular cutaway chassis modified at a local Ford Dealer-added 17 calendar days to my production time.  PC also shuts down the production shop for one week during 4th of July.  My unit also had a lot of custom work.  With all the mentioned special circumstances my unit hit the production line on June 18, 2018, and I took delivery on October 5, 2018.

I stayed in the Elkhart area from July 9th, 2018 until my unit was completed.  I stayed an additional two week to try and work out all the kinks in my unit-still working on the slide-out failures.  I already made one trip back to PC Shop to try and get the slide-out fixed with no success.

It seemed to me that PC Production Line was consistently full, and according to Barry their National Sales Manager,  PC's turn around time form order to pick-up date has increased due to increased orders.  I don't believe PC builds many units for inventory.  They normally build only units that have been ordered, and some units to take to RV Shows.  I don't believe the inventory listed for sale on their website is a reflection of the health of their sales numbers.

John

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:52:51 pm by jam4travel »

jam4travel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 10:50:30 pm »
Hi John, can sympathise with your build , had a new car a handful of years ago with bad steering issues, factory found issue and had dealer correct and a month later had a TSB on the issue . Got rid of that wreck for a minivan , upgraded it and a year later and a tree fell on that onet ! Got another with , again , steering issues , almost a year later..lemon lawed that one .  Goes to show that stuff happens , shouldn't but it does .

Thanks a ton for the pictures , agree with Jim G there on a lot of his post, questions too . Being a prospective buyer, it means a lot .
Couple follow up questions from seeing pics .. I assume your batteries still slide out , being side mounted ?   Are those insulated/thermo windows ? Glass I assume if thermo ?   The vent pipe (?) in bath towel closet is visible like that after build ??  The cab window covers... nice and where did those come from ?

An extra Thanks for the roof shot , first real roof shot I've seen on a Phoenix !
Hope all goes well with slide issue for you . Pappy !

Pappy,

1)  The batteries do slide-out.  The batteries had to be side mounted because they are too tall to fit upright-these batteries are Lifeline 300 amp hour 6 volt batteries (Lifeline GPL-6CT AGM).

2)  PC calls the windows I have insulated glass.  They are dual pane.  These are not the best insulated RV windows on the market. I would prefer something like: 
"https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/climate/windows-and-doors/windows".  I'm not sure PC would offer these as an option.

3)  The black PVC vent pipes do remain visible after build is completed in both bath towel closet and in the clothing closet. 

4)  The solar screens I got from the following Australia Company:  "http://www.solarscreen.com.au".  Cost me about $265.  They need a pattern to make them.  They now have a pattern from me, but it is made to accommodate the mobileye windshield mount.  If you should ever decide to get them, I would suggest having the windshield made into two parts with an overlap down the center line of windshield.

John

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:47 am »
Nice set of pictures!
We have a question. You had them add a horizontal fascia type board under the edge of the matress. Could you explain how they did that?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:46:14 am by Free2RV »

jam4travel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 10:42:53 am »
If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about the horizontal trim directly below the mattress.  This was not a special request of mine.  I believe PC is currently finishing their twin beds in this manner-at least for the power sliding beds.  The trim on my unit is more visible because of my custom ordered mattress.  Currently PC is using an 8" mattress, which for me didn't allow enough room between the top of the mattress and the bottom of the closets above each twin bed.  Thus, I ordered custom mattresses that are only 4' thick and give me more space between the mattress & bottom of closet.

John

Free2RV

• Gary and Susie
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: P.U. 6/11/18
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Nightscape (Cherry)
  • ExtColor: Graystone (FBP)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 10:49:15 am »
Oh ok, so that's a power bed thing. That explains it! Thank you!

biglegmax

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: ordered a 2017, got a 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018 2350 e450 4x4
  • IntColor: lots
  • ExtColor: white,no paint,or decals
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 06:13:03 pm »
John,

With those weights, I would say you were very fortunate to have NOT gotten a 4x4 option. I think that adds at least another 500lbs. I'm surprised PC would even offer it as an option.
Doug