• PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
Winterizing - Blowing Out Water Lines
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:48:36 am »
All this talk about winterizing has got me to thinking.  I will be returning to Tennessee early (first of February) and will need to winterize my PC.  When I had my previous motorhome, it was stored in an open RV storage lot.  I would winterize it by blowing out the lines and pouring some pink down each drain and, for good measure, some in each holding tank.  Never had a problem.  Oh, the water heater will be drained and the plug laid aside.  When the low lines are opened and drained, will it also drain any water in the SaniCon?

Now for my question...Does anyone winterize their PC by blowing out the lines instead of introducing pink to the lines?  I see no reason why this won't work.  My PC will be stored inside in a small unheated warehouse with 4 other motor homes.  It will be plugged in to a 110V source.  I can also turn on the tank heaters. 

Cheers   :)(:

Barry T

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Re: Winterizing - Blowing Out Water Lines
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:34:31 am »
I've always blown out all of my RVs (Aliner we still have, Lazy Daze, PleasureWay, Jayco popup,) not wanting to drink pink stuff unless it is a Cosmopolitan or Rose. I've never had a problem. Our Lazy Daze (the only other coach as nice as a PC) had a device, basically a 2' air hose with a chuck on one end and a pressure control valve (like the water type) on the other which is what I use, I bet Lazy Daze still sells them, maybe PC should offer one. One at a time you remove the fittings at the water pump and open faucets until dry....Pink in the drains and macerator and whats to freeze? I can even do it with my chassis mounted compressor!

Dougn

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:07:38 pm »
The manual that came with our factory installed original water pump tells you to open the taps and run the pump to blow out the lines. We do that, then use the pump bypass and tube to pump in the pink stuff just to be sure.We run fresh water to clean out the pink stuff before drinking from our taps. NOTE- don't forget to open up and rinse out the outside shower or the pink stuff settles back in your lines and you will get it coming out the taps. You have to do them all: faucets (kitchen and bath), shower head, toilet, sprayers (kitchen and toilet if you have both). Run hot and cold for all.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:02:09 pm »
Everybody seems to have their own favorite way to winterize.   Me?  I overkill!  I blow out the lines and then add rv antifreeze to everything, except the hot water heater which I bypass and pull the drain plug.   For our PC2350 I pour a full gallon of pink into each of the holding tanks and the fresh water tank.  Then, I turn on the macerator and pump it until pinkie runs out the hose.  Yes, I use too much pink stuff ---blow out the lines and then use four or five gallons.   I buy the pinkie at Walmart and it costs about twenty bucks for my overkill.   My thought process is simple:

1.  I am not going to use it again until mid-late March .

2.  The difference between two gallons and five is about twelve dollars.

Boy, that is a cheap insurance premium to save lots of head and heart ache if I bust something from either forgetting it (outside shower mentioned above is easy to miss, for example) or just being negligent or distracted.

Our PC is stored three miles from our house in a completely enclosed RV storage unit but it is not heated.    Temps in this part of the country only get down to about zero or single digits  once or twice a winter but it often gets below freezing for a few days in a row..   It only takes once and I guess I just prefer to be extreeee safe.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:06:21 pm by Doneworking »