• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: April/2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2004
  • Slide: Yes
Backup Camera Install
« on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:17 pm »
I’m about to install a backup camera on my 2004 2350. I would like to know what is the best way to get the cable inside to a 12v source for power and the connection for the transmitter. I plan to wire it so that there’s power to the camera all the time while driving.

Thanks.
“Vandor”
John & Cheryl

zolman

• Key West Campsite
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 1/29/2018
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • IntColor: Green
  • ExtColor: white/green
Re: Backup Camera Install
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:26:28 am »
Just wired a LED back up light right under my present camera. My suggestion is for you to mount a blue tooth camera in the higher location that PC presently mounts theirs. Then mount a receiver monitor somewhere on your dashboard.

Here is what I learned. Easiest place to get constant 12V for your camera power is from the lights under the back window upper bedroom cabinets. I took out the rear top running lights to give me access to that area.  I then drilled a hole and ran wires into the space between the shower enclosure and cabinet. You can access that area by taking out the mattress and removing the access panel for the shower faucet to pull your wires through. Then run the wires in the open space between the cabinet bottom and shelf. It is about a 1" opening  Remove the light fixture, finish pulling the wires and get power by taping into the fixture supply. But since that is constant 12V power you and not ignition switch controlled you will need a off/on switch. .I used this switch to power my light  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTC943F/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI It would be impossible to run a wired camera through the ceiling like PC does. But you could run camera wires under the chassis next to the present rear light wiring harness.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 12:32:23 am by zolman »

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Maple
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:49:00 am »
The Yada  wireless back up camera on my 2350 is still going strong after 3 years, no issues  with signal strength, interference, or water intrusion.

The camera bracket mounts on top of the license plate. I drilled a hole behind the  plate and dropped the wires down to the undercarriage then  spliced into the harness for the tail lights and trailer connector. I  used a Bracketron GPS Wingman visor mount for the monitor/receiver  and wired it to the map light.
going where the wind goes

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:46:21 am »
Calcruiser
Does your Yada camera allow you to view the toad while traveling or does it only come on while you are in reverse?

Ron

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Beige / Maple
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:18 pm »
Calcruiser
Does your Yada camera allow you to view the toad while traveling or does it only come on while you are in reverse?

Ron

I wired it to the reverse lights. I don’t remember the pin-outs for the trailer connector or if there’s constant 12v present from the ignition switch that you could use to watch the toad. I have a fisheye lens on the rear window to see what’s following close behind.
going where the wind goes

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:29:59 pm »
CalCruiser
Thanks for the response. Good info.

I have a Tom Tom / radio unit in the cab. We have only had one trip but it seems I saw a way to have the camera on all the time. If that is the case I may be able to just install a monitor. The Tom Tom is not very good.

Ron

TNcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 03:03:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Great information!

Zolman,

Thanks for the idea of removing a clearance light to look for access to inside. That should work great because I had already thought about getting 12v from that light below the overhead cabinet at the back.  The cabinet should also be a good spot to mount the transmitter. The monitor clips onto the rear view mirror so I will tuck the cables for it behind the headliner and down to a 12v source that turns on with the ignition.

The system I got is from Tadi Brothers. I bench tested it today and it works great including the night vision.
“Vandor”
John & Cheryl

jimmer

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 5 / 2016
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: BLUE/OFF WHITE/MAPLE
  • ExtColor: WHITE OVER BLUE
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 07:46:55 pm »
TNcanuck,   I installed a Tadi Brothers camera last spring and love it.    Nice, sharp, clear  viewing.     Got the monitor that clips to the rear view mirror.  When it's not ' on ',  i can still see out the back window with the now dark screen.

I also used power from one of the upper rear  marker lights nearest the camera location after removing the lens and pulling the wires out.  Easy.

Installed the new camera right where the old one was,  top dead center.  The screw holes even   matched.    It's 'wireless',  so no need to run wires to the monitor.

Tapped into the hot wire to the old monitor, running the wires above the headliner which you can pull down enough, right where it meets the windshield.  My monitor was behind the visor.  Not very handy..

You're gonna like it !

jim

zolman

• Key West Campsite
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 1/29/2018
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • IntColor: Green
  • ExtColor: white/green
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 11:33:58 pm »
When you take out the panel behind the shower faucet look at the area. It is surprisingly wide. And it runs from the ceiling to the floor of the PC. You should be able to put all your transmitters, switches or what ever else you will need in that space.

I would not recommend a license plate mounted camera. It's useless if you are pulling a trailer. A camera mounted on the upper part of the PC rear will give you better visibility for multiple purposes. 

TNcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:09 am »
When you take out the panel behind the shower faucet look at the area. It is surprisingly wide. And it runs from the ceiling to the floor of the PC. You should be able to put all your transmitters, switches or what ever else you will need in that space.

I would not recommend a license plate mounted camera. It's useless if you are pulling a trailer. A camera mounted on the upper part of the PC rear will give you better visibility for multiple purposes.

I agree about the license plate mount. We might be getting bicycles so the bike rack might block the camera view. The camera I got from Tadi Brothers is their HD model and in testing it looks fantastic even in the dark. I want to use it while driving so mounting it up high like the factory does will provide a good viewing perspective.
“Vandor”
John & Cheryl