• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 05/2015
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2002
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Brown
  • ExtColor: Brown
Re: 2006 Exterior Mirror Upgrade and other cosmetic enhancements..
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 08:14:10 pm »
I agree with Herr Dittmer, no Facebook for der Frauen and myself.  Also no Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, ...  Only email.   But, to each their own.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 12:18:44 pm »
Lookin great!

I'd love to see pictures of your side mirrors in stubby fashion, extended fashion, and folded in.

OK...see if I got the flickr thing working...and allow the visitors to see pics! 

Mirror folded forward, aka 'Shaving Position'

Mirror folded back

Extended to outer position

and retracted to inner position aka 'Crusin' mode   :lol

well.. preview looks good! 

I tried to get parallel with the rear area to accurately represent visibility. They work great!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 03:42:32 pm »
Thanks for the pics Volkemon!  I love them.  The unpainted plastic would also be a perfect match for our PC.  If or when I need to replace our outside mirrors, I will remember your great alternative.  Ours has heated mirrors, but I have never used them.  I wouldn't even know if they work because our rig has never been in messy freezing weather, a very easy sacrifice to make.

The only serious problem I have with our mirrors is that they attract children tempted to hang on them.  I caught a child one time.  How many did I not catch?  Whenever we stop, we fold them in to hide the attraction.  If we ever return to our PC and find a mirror hanging, it will be because we forgot to fold them in and a heavier child just couldn't resist.  I anticipate such a day and now have a very affordable solution that does not involve paint-work, and also eliminates the reoccurring child attraction.  All thanks to you Volkemon.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:16:40 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 06:36:43 pm »

Headlights are an easy replace...and the improved beam pattern is a safety argument that makes the coooool looks secondary. Razor sharp. May need LED bulbs..

Mrs V was *SO* happy I replaced the marker lights. She couldn't stand the others.

A 'during construction' pic, the wires are taped to the windshield to stay clear.

Wait until the airdam goes on.  :cool Gonna 'mad max' it a tad... I want them to move when they see me coming in the rear view mirror...

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 07:00:08 pm »
Looking good ! Where did you get those  headlamps?
Goin' where the wind goes...

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 07:21:27 pm »
Online.

roflol  Sorry. Had to.

I bought them as a set, with 'blackout' turn signal/marker lights. The side markers were garbage IMO, impossible to see in sunlight.

Complete set - I would not buy it again. https://www.amazon.com/Econoline-Super-Headlights-Corner-Lights-x/dp/B009X5WXD0

These are just the headlights - https://www.amazon.com/Autozensation-Econoline-Black-Crystal-Headlights/dp/B07MZH69XR/ref=asc_df_B07MZH69XR/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241869369567&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4072177910645507115&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011835&hvtargid=pla-641705767627&psc=1

I suppose you could order either, only `$2 difference.  :lol  Google around, might find the same lights for a few less.

Mine had one piece that was incorrect in size, didnt fit the new retainer bars or the old ones. I transferred the piece from the old lights to the new ones, the screw thread was the same.

The adjustment screws are very small allen/hex heads. Maybe 3mm? I have yet to find a nutdriver or a tool for then yet, my needlenose vise grips are working.

The LED 's are OK, not DRL brightness, but maybe nice for camp use or turn signal supplement.

Volkemon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 07:41:58 pm »
Got the TV in, and managed to wrap the headliner up and into the old surround. There is a GREAT little pocket up there for remotes, etc.

It is offset to the right to allow access to the left cabinet without unlocking the TV. Extends out ~18 inches, swivels, tilts etc. 32" tv.

A-pillar trim in black vinyl now, flows nicely with the headliner. And another big bright thing out of my field of vision.  2o2

I like how the bottom 'wide' mirror stays put no matter where I have my main mirror.

Looking for black visors, may have these resewn with some of the extra black vinyl. Paint the minor plastic bits.

Next major project is to paint/replace the dash trim, window switch trim etc. Carbon fiber wrap would be cool...but black is fine. That faux wood (?) look doesn't fit the cockpit.

roflol I know it looks like a redneck paradise... this was taken with a friends camper in the driveway, and on the seafood festival weekend. The recycle bin had to be centrally located.  :)(: Thats about a cord of oak behind for the firepit behind the steering wheel.

Volkemon

• View Profile
TV mounting/cabinet reinforcement pics

Initial 'mockup' of parts. Few screws to hold it, putty knife holding the trim up. Just to see if things fit. I needed to move the TV ~4 inches back to clear the doors. Stacked (2) 2x4's, and a piece of 3/4 multi-ply wood . Perfect. (Added 6 pounds of weight, bolts included)

Trace around everything, remove mock up.

Remove the original support panel, fitting the two carriage bolts on the bottom. You can see the two vertical bolts holding the crossmember to the roof. Sawdust is piled on the back of the headliner support. You can also see where I pre drilled the holes in the walls for the support bolts. This was the reason for tracing outlines, made it easy to see where to drill.

Those two lower bolts attached to the bottom of the back piece. Now adding the inner, lower support.

Outer lower support on, and through bolts to unite all. With glue. (Liquid Nails construction adhesive)

Drill (through the holes I put in earlier) into the 2x4's.

Bolts and washers...

And drive them home. You can see the head of one of the other bolts I added to secure the roof to the cabinet. All 4 zip screws from the factory were not into the wood.  Both sides. I put 1/4 x 2" carriage bolts with washers.   CAnt really go overboard with fastener strength, as it is holding onto 1/4 plywood...

Next morning...SO beautiful in the back yard. My coconut palms are on year 2, and doing well.  2o2  Inspired now to do finish work.

Put in support plate for mounting of backup camera later. 1/8 aluminum.  You can see the nut and washer from the holdown bolts, and the new interior lights also.

This is getting to be a big post... part two next.

Volkemon

• View Profile
OK , we last left with the headliner support pulled, mounting plate installed. Time to prep for headliner material.  CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN will make it last. Dont skimp on prep... cry once.

Start gluing!  Got the glue at Home Depot. Make SURE you let it dry long enough before setting in place. The headliner foam was in good shape, so I left it. *SOMEDAY* that will come back to haunt me, when the foam dissolves and leaves the hanging fabric we have all seen. I am pretty sure there is enough edge support that it will be fine.

Ready for install!  Got all 8 lights trimmed out, and had an idea... what if I could do a continuous wrap up the TV trim?   (exactly) So I left it long for now.

Headliner in place, TV mount on for fitting. Doing this type of work, be prepared to take parts on and off MANY MANY times. Doing the interior lights, I had to do 10 (TEN) in-and-out's of the headliner. Be patient. If you dont have the time to do it right, HOW are you going to find time to fix it later?

And cut.  Always the nerve wracking part...1/2 inch off and... do it again.

And now I figure it might be a good idea to do the inner lining before putting the trim up...  (nod)  I used black headliner material.
Yes, I miscut on the upper right. No, you wont see it.

Trim up and screwed in, the cardboard in the lower right is a glue spray shield.  Time to finish up!

Ready for TV. LOVE the 'seamless' wrap from headliner to surround trim on the bottom.

First test. Still some minor trim to go up, but came out great!

Volkemon

• View Profile
One item that has bothered both of us since day one was the marker lights. The dealership had replaced the middle 3 thinking that was where the leak was... they used 2 white and one black base.  REALLY?!?!?!  >(  BEsides, I am pretty sure those markers are the cheapest thing you can buy to fit the bill. And it showed. I found some 16 LED 'halo' markers. NICE glow, and look very sleek and modern.

More chrome to polish. Meh. Such is life, girls like shiny things...

The original 3 in the middle were not installed in a straight line, I was not ready to drill and seal MORE holes.. so I used the original spots. Catch it when we do paint.

Volkemon

• View Profile
Front bumper mods are coming... would LOVE to have a bullbar in front and concealed battery mounts... Much measuring and planning left. The bumper cover is only on with 2 pop rivets, and (I was told...) some 2-sided tape from the factory. It flops around.  :beg  Got it pretty straight in this pic.

Now I imagine that the person that designed the bumper cover and the person that did the fender flares may have never met. This transition shows that, and I hope to sculpt something better when fiberglass work starts. This spot drives me buggy.

This is a bull bar:

A bullbar or push bumper is a device installed on the front of a vehicle to protect its front from collisions, whether an accidental collision with a large animal in rural roads, or an intentional collision with another vehicle..  :lol ....
  (Wikipedia)

Volkemon

• View Profile
Bathroom improvements underway.  We originally had the sliding plastic door. It was past its service life, to be kind.

Removal of the original slider curtain,  a conventional shower curtain with rings (using the original top crossbar) was used for a while. Not very pleasant or roomy, with the shower caddy hanging off 3 hooks.

Mrs V found The Extend A Shower -

Off came the original brass frame. Screws held everything.  Looked SO much bigger in there.

You can see me using a wire to figure out the center length. The bar is too big as it comes, but can be trimmed. The wire method didnt work, however.  >(  The bar hinges only flex 90*. I cut twice... better than too short!

Mocked up with the old curtain. It added a lot of room, effectively being a 32x32 shower 'up top' on a 24x32 pan.
 (new ceiling fan install, had not trimmed inside collar yet) (the brown streaks are the original 'glue drools' from the factory room lamination)

Removing the old frame left some icky reveals..

The wall side just has a few holes to patch, but is a nice PVC channel. :)

Used this - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldings-5205-1-1-8-in-x-1-1-8-in-x-8-ft-PVC-Composite-White-Outside-Corner-Moulding-0520508011/202089993 for trim. one eight foot piece did it. VERY easy to work with.
Bedded it in silicone. LOTS of it.  (nod)

Couple images taken from the floor, trying to show the change. The brass bar is the 'original line' I propped up for reference.

(cheer) (cheer) More room while showering, more room on the commode. I have broad shoulders...  (cheer) (cheer)

This was progress from the weekend, more to come. Complete remodel is in the works, as we both dont like the sink/cabinet location. 

Volkemon

• View Profile
A note on the new headlights and Mirrors...

When I went to replace them, one of the mounts did not work with the slide. It was too big for the keyhole. So I had to lube up the screw, and remove the old one and transfer it. Worked great!
This is the new mount on the old headlight, going back to the 'spare parts' depo.  :lol 

Was easier than modifying the new one to work.  (exactly)

The old mirrors were collecting water inside, and corroding after doing so for ~13 years... the gasket was too small for it to seal properly. Lucky for me, the gasket DID contain all the water and schmutz, so the door was unharmed.

>:(  on to more.....

Volkemon

• View Profile
Side marker light replacement...

Putting in really cool lights. The have a 'mirror tunnel' inside, and have the illusion of depth. People try to poke their fingers in.  roflol

First problem... trying to center a hole saw when there is a HUGE off center hole...

Easy Peasy. I used a scrap cutout from cutting the 4" holes in the trailer for a jig. Any small piece will work.

Cut a hole in the jig with the holesaw, then drill two holes to line up the jig where you want it. I used the original screw holes to avoid having MORE to patch.

Cut carefully, using the ring to guide. Use both hands, and go slow. It will require concentration.

Yes... some cleaning due on that trim.  :lol

Remove the jig, and install the light! 

Paint will make it better...but it works! 

Volkemon

• View Profile
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Wow... guess i have been busy elsewhere. My own thread neglected... :'(

Anyhoo...   rainy day, got the new grill modified to look good.  (exactly)

This is what I bought, the picture 'on the van' does not quite show the whole story..

When the grill is on the van, the radiator, trans cooler, etc etc are ALL very visible. Even with everything behind painted flat black, it looks naked.  :beg  I fit it on the van, and did NOT like the look. Very 'unfinished'

Look at the picture below, and notice how the tile floor shows through easily-

So in a box it has sat, waiting for a rainy day. Well, it's rainy season!  (nod)

Crack one open and lets go!   :)(:

I got a sheet of perforated aluminum from Home Depot.  3' x 3' for ~$35, used half of it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-3-ft-x-3-ft-Aluminum-Venetian-Bronze-Lincane-Sheet-57015/202525469

Formed the edges, and cut to fit grill inserts. Painted flat black.

Test fit - note how it obscures the tile behind!   2o2

Used pop rivets to hold the inserts to the grill, and black urethane sealant to silence rattles.  Transferred the stock emblem off the original grill. I love the look.  heartshower

A bit wider shot -

I really like the look with the mirrors and bug spoiler. Looks factory, but totally different. Earlier look -

Next up is lowering springs, then air dam/bumper work. Would LOVE to figure out a front battery box.. lets peek under that front cover...