• PurchDate: May, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
Toggle Switch for Dash Radio
« on: March 01, 2019, 11:15:48 am »
In my 2017, 2351 the factory installed a toggle switch that was to allow me to run the dash radio off the house batteries when boondocking.  The idea was that you did not need the ignition key on and this protected the engine start battery from running down.  So with the ignition off the radio still draws from the engine battery.  Since I have solar I can use the white switch to continually charge engine battery, but this was not my original hope.  I replaced the white switch with an identical on/off switch so it can be left on while playing radio, just not what I had hoped for.  Does anyone else have this round black switch and how is it working?  I stopped at factory last summer for a couple of minor fixes, when I asked about this I was told it could not be corrected and the only thing to do was to putt  the override white switch in the on position.  So as not to confuse, the white switch is the one that PC always installs to the left of steering wheel.. The switch that is supposed to solve this issue is a round black one near center of dash.  Thanks for the input.

Mike
Mike & Lynn Ratliff

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Re: Toggle Switch for Dash Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:48:19 pm »
Sounds like a good switch to have, since you can basically chose which set of batteries you want to run the radio, and not have the key on. With solar tho, I don't worry and also have changed the white switch to an on/off replacing the factory push-and-hold to use one.
Dougn

JDimitriadis

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: Picked up 5/23/18
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »
Could not respond earlier.  On vacation and have only a smart phone.  I have the toggle on the dashboard for the radio.  I also discovered that the engine battery is used whether you have the key in the ignition or the toggle pushed to the right.  Engine battery kept going dead.  The white "trickle charging" never worked on our RV.  One apparently was never installed. Contacted Barry at PC and he sent me a trickle charger which I installed following his directions.  No dead engine battery since then.  I did post info on this forum, I believe, last September with picture.  Please refer to that posting for additional info.
John Dimitriadis

sailors35

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:33:31 pm »
For clarity, I push the black, round button to the left and will still pull from the engine battery.  Solar saves my......
Mike & Lynn Ratliff

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:51:39 pm »
Sailor,

I can at this point only provide one helpful comment to your quandary.  I only got back home with my new 2552 a week ago; I've noticed drain on the chassis (Ford) battery while parked, but weather and other things has prevented me from exploring details as much as I soon will to understand exactly what is going on.

What I can say, is that when I picked up at Elkhart, I was NOT told that the black switch on the dash for the radio switched between the chassis and house batteries.  I was told that the black switch offered a way to activate the radio WITHOUT the key being in accessory or on position.  That would be exactly what you and JDimitriadis are posting.  My information was that the radio would still pull from the Ford battery, but that with the switch activated, the key could remain in the "Off" position while you use the radio.

All the best,     Mike