Hello Guest

Five and a half years later...................

• 43 Replies

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
Five and a half years later...................
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:32:33 pm »
Next Tuesday, March 5, it will have been exactly five and a half years since we took possession of our 2013 PC 2350.   It was only ten months old when we bought it from a couple less than five miles away from our home.  They decided they wanted a DP.   

In those years and after driving it about 5000-6000 miles each year of our ownership, we have had remarkably few problems.  I have corrected a few minor things like the factory using screws that were too long and potentially could penetrate the dump hose, adjusting the bracket holding up the macerator to relieve pressure on the bayonet connection, replacing most cabinet hinges (probably a bad shipment of them to the factory) and a few more minor things that occur with any house going down the road at 70 mph..   

We made some simple alterations like converting the hanging clothes closet to shelves, installing 200 watts of solar, making a much more useable table, reconfiguring several cabinets with shelves, etc.   But, all those changes were to accommodate our personal uses.

The Ford 350 chassis has provided flawless service.  I have replaced the coach and chassis batteries because, after six years from when they were installed, they were not up to par. 

I would estimate that I have spent less than four hundred bucks on the maintenance/correction stuff including the batteries and less than five hundred on the solar, shelves, LED light conversions, etc.   Round that up to a thousand which works out to less than two hundred a year of ownership on average.  I do all the mods and coach maintenance myself and have a trusted local garage do the Ford stuff.

Let's face it:  we have been immensely pleased with our PC and it has provided a lot of wonderful months in great places for reasonable cost.  We do store it in an indoor, enclosed facility and that is also an expense but that expense would be incurred whether it said PC or Winnebago or Whatever on the side of the rig.   

Now, to all that has to be added $3,500 for a really great towing system to pull along our Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer.   

I consider us really lucky.   Our PC was made while the original owners of the company were operating and it was built a few years after the 2008 financial debacle that caused such a wave of harm in the RV and other industries.    I hope that the problems of the more recent purchasers of PCs that  post on this forum are solved by the company with the same integrity and meticulous attention to service the former owners of the company exhibited.   That has kept the resale price of our PCs up and I just hope that continues.   Time will tell.

Paul

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Five and a half years later...................
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 12:59:39 am »
Paul, that is a great story to share with us.

You know our story is very similar though we bought ours new plus we invested in suspension improvements so we have more invested up front.  The bottom line is that there are two very happy campers (4 considering spouses), PC owners on this forum.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:01:49 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

tswhitewater

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: desert sand/cherry
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:11:09 am »
Make it 3 happy campers!!!! Although we’ve only had our 2552 for a year, we put the unit and towed, through “boot camp” on a 5 month,11500 mile trip from Tennessee to Alaska and back.  Flawless performance and comfort.  :)

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 09:25:50 am »
Make that 4 now.  We added a satellite dish, a cellphone booster, replaced the coach batteries with Lifeline AGM batteries.   A few minor repairs and adjustments at the factory (free) and 43,000 miles later Patti and I still love our PC.  It was/is our best present to ourselves ever!
---
Don and Patti

Pejibaye

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • ExtColor: United States
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 03:20:18 pm »
I'm probably a good example of a PC buyer: I never owned an RV before. I looked at many companies and models and was horrified at the quality of every RV I could afford.  (I didn't bother looking at the Class As.)  In many ways, the RV industry is like the home building industry:  if you pay more money, you get more space, not better quality.   I wanted a very high quality, compact motorhome that was configured to my needs and wants (no slide, a dinette, twin beds, lots of storage inside, etc.).  I went to the factory and was shown units in work that met every need.  I now own a 2018 2552 with no slide, with a dinette, two LONG twin beds, more storage than the regular 2552, and electrical outlets (110 and 12 volt) everywhere I asked for.  I drove it almost 12,000 miles the first year, with no repairs except a broken screen door lock, and a replacement was sent to me in Alaska as I was driving. 

Those who grumble about a lack of perfection may need to take a step back and look at real life.  Was your new home perfect?  Your new car?  Really?  My only question is why PC chose to associate with a dealer like Camper Inn, whose poor quality (read the reviews!) and location (the southeast only) would seem a poor choice.  But do I know what went into that decision?  No.  Would I like PC to survive to support my RV ten years down the road?  Yes.  Does picking nits on this forum support that goal?  I don't think so.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 06:04:13 pm »
We'll weigh in as happy owners that will hit six years in early May. Almost half that time has been full time in the rig with lots of time spent out in her the rest of that time. Phoenix has taken good care of us with our original customizations, trials and tribulations with components that they use but don't manufacture (Atwood furnace defect, Onan generator defect, etc.) and recent service performed a few months ago under the new-ish ownership.

We were clueless when we started looking for an RV and feel extremely lucky we chose Phoenix. We think we hit the sweet spot with the 2552. It's perfect for us and the way we live. We do very little service and repairs ourselves and rely on Phoenix and the Ford dealer they use.

We plan to keep on wandering as long as we can and hope Phoenix is there with the same good quality service for us while we do.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:01 pm »
I'm probably a good example of a PC buyer: I never owned an RV before. I looked at many companies and models and was horrified at the quality of every RV I could afford.  (I didn't bother looking at the Class As.)  In many ways, the RV industry is like the home building industry:  if you pay more money, you get more space, not better quality.   I wanted a very high quality, compact motorhome that was configured to my needs and wants (no slide, a dinette, twin beds, lots of storage inside, etc.).  I went to the factory and was shown units in work that met every need.  I now own a 2018 2552 with no slide, with a dinette, two LONG twin beds, more storage than the regular 2552, and electrical outlets (110 and 12 volt) everywhere I asked for.  I drove it almost 12,000 miles the first year, with no repairs except a broken screen door lock, and a replacement was sent to me in Alaska as I was driving. 

Those who grumble about a lack of perfection may need to take a step back and look at real life.  Was your new home perfect?  Your new car?  Really?  My only question is why PC chose to associate with a dealer like Camper Inn, whose poor quality (read the reviews!) and location (the southeast only) would seem a poor choice.  But do I know what went into that decision?  No.  Would I like PC to survive to support my RV ten years down the road?  Yes.  Does picking nits on this forum support that goal?  I don't think so.
I must be the grumbler you're talking about. This is my 4th motorhome, I've put on just about 600,000 miles. My PC is 11 months old, odometer reads 31,262. I'm glad so many have had few problems. Here's my list.
Bathroom window leaked bad
Electric dump valves malfunctioned
Macerator stuck on
Valance over window fell down
Ordered plug in on side of closet, didn't get it
Panel pulled away from bathroom wall
Rubber seal on slide came unattached
Paint peeling on door frame, bad rust
Was told I didn't need E450, now rear sags and scrapes
Panel on entry door is delaminated
Water leak under bathroom sink, comes and goes
Arm rest came off passenger chair
TV arm doesn't click shut correctly
No radio reception on coach radio
Kitchen sink scratched up, looks like tools were put in it
Black tank 26% smaller than listed
Fresh water tank 42% smaller than listed
120 plug in pulled out of wall, it was broke into 3 pcs
4 way water valve turns very hard, doesn't seem right
cable on electric sofa broke, twice
screen door latch broke
Drivers side carpet is always wet, can't find where the water is coming from
NON PC PROBLEMS
Door fell off fridge, it hit the floor
Microwave replaced
Furnace replaced
Stove top soots up
Does this sound like I'm picking nits? I wish I could be more positive. I would expect this from Thor or Forest River. I hope PC survives but when I see PC's listed on Campers Inn for more than double what Gulfstream, Thor, and Forest River goes for, I wonder.

Lynn    P.S. I wrote the check, I'm stuck with the problems, I think maybe I can grumble.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 12:15:45 am »
I feel for you Lynn.  Fortunately for just about everyone else, your story does not match up with theirs.  I am not trying to make you feel better or worse, I am just sayin.......

Too bad you can't drive your PC back to the factory one last time with what continues to trouble you, and have Phoenix call you when it's all made right.  I know you've have made the effort working with them, and them not responding properly.  >:(
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

rvrunner

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 4, 2018
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: nightscape
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:55:53 am »
PC has treated me well, they stand behind there product and have never tried to avoid me. I guess I've had more problems than most. It happens. It's not good to have a lot of negativity on the forum so I'll stop posting problems. PC owners are very loyal to the brand and that's good.

Lynn

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 10:02:20 am »
Lynn, I agree that list is unacceptable. I hope it's growing pains on the company's part and they get over it quick. I'm really sorry that you had to suffer through it and hope everything has been corrected (at no cost to you) and that you are able to finally enjoy your rig.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Rick Leddon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/16
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: cream
  • ExtColor: brown
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 11:00:47 am »
I have a 2910T I bought with 35000 miles, three years ago. I have been on three trips and it has 42000 miles on it. I had looked at RVs for 30 years, always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger. I ended up with the PC because of the quality.

There have been several problems that have made me scratch my head. The leather or whatever it is, is flaking off and needs to be recovered. The PC factory says nothing can be done and it just needs to be replaced and they no longer use that material, leading me to think they know they made a bad choice. Seems like this may need to be some kind of recall, but I'm on my own to pay for the fix. I'm not angry about, I just thought it might be a little different.

I also had the refrig door fall off. A plastic hinge broke. The fix was to replace the whole door, I think it was around $200. They had a metal insert available for an additional cost that will prevent the problem in the future. Again, it seems like a design mistake, because they are now doing it different, but in the meantime I was paying.

Same story, but with cabinet latches "yeah, those didn't holdup, we are using different ones now, how many do you want to buy".

My Chevy truck had bad wiper motors, and they failed after 4 years and 100,000 miles. They replaced for free, because it was a poor design or quality.

I guess I thought I would just get a little bit more.

Rick

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 09:12:24 am »
Hi Rick,

Your vinyl covered furniture flaking off is the byproduct of the great recession of 2008/2009.  The manufacture of the vinyl upholstery material stopped producing it in the USA, instead outsourced it from China.  Then he sold the inferior product to the RV furniture manufacture, Paul's Seating who made his furniture with it.  Then Phoenix bought furniture from Paul's Seating.  Then people like us bought our PC's.  Then you bought your PC from a previous owner.

So who is at fault and who looses?  The person who looses is the person who currently owns the inferior product.  Unfortunately the only practical option is to purchase either cloth or real leather skins from Paul's Seating, learn how to install them, and be done.  You could replace the seats or outsource re-skinning your current seats, but the cost will be quite high.  I know it's not want you want to hear, but that is the reality of it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:17:04 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 11:28:51 am »
Rvrunner,   If that was my vehicle with all the issues you’ve had it would be gone.   I’ve had lemon cars and I did just that, ate the loss, got rid of the stress and moved on. I feel for you, that kind of stress leaves a bitter taste.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:37 am »
PC has treated me well, they stand behind there product and have never tried to avoid me. I guess I've had more problems than most. It happens. It's not good to have a lot of negativity on the forum so I'll stop posting problems. PC owners are very loyal to the brand and that's good.

Lynn

I dont see posting your problems as 'negativity'. Its the truth, the problems are not 'nit picking' at all. I would think that future PC owners are following your problems with interest, as they should. YOU BOUGHT NEW.

Now I did buy my camper with 40K miles like Rick. Mine is a 2006, I think his is a bit newer due to the seat issues. Do I expect perfection in a used unit? Heck no!  I feel there is NO fault at PC for the issues with seat material and latches. Those are complete assemblies they buy from another supplier, and PC really does not have the facilities to do a multi-year testing of all components. Nor the responsibility.  I would not expect PC to give me the 'time of day' if I came bit**ing about things breaking... I didnt buy from them!  ( We were SO hoping to... couple more years ....but it looks as if factory ordering and assembly line supervision by customer is probably a thing of the past, or soon to be. Too bad, as thats the ONLY way I would have someone else build my coach)

@ Lynn again...  Did you ever confront them about the tanks not being the correct size? I am still curious to hear their response. I guessed before they would hide behind the 'Specs may change at any time during production without notice blah blah...'  but if you have a bona-fide issue with being able to use the camper 'as you intended' based on those false claims... you may have a case for replacement.

The rest of the problems are impressive, I am sorry to say.  :'(   

Rick Leddon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/16
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: cream
  • ExtColor: brown
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 12:40:34 pm »
Ron, thanks for the info on the flaking seats. I will contact Paul's and get the seats reskinned. Has to be better and cheaper then having them done custom.