• PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Stand alone converter
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:43:49 am »
Our 12 volt system is crashing. Batteries did not seem to charge anymore when plugged in to shore power. We got a good charge with the portable solar panel clamped directly to the batteries but charge level dropped shortly after unhooking it. We replaced the batteries but the problem continued and gradually got worse. We charged nicely when we drove and set up solar whenever possible.

Then we discovered the copper piece that connects the converter-to-battery cable to the battery ring mount was almost totally split off so John was afraid to pull the battery drawer to hook up solar. That was our situation at the Travel Club Reunion when Phoenix USA walked in with Doug and offered free repairs (heartshower).

Doug tested power output from the converter = 12 volts, should be 14.
He rigged a connection to our broken battery cable but converter output remained the same.
He told us converter needs replacement but the direct replace is no longer made so they will install a stand alone converter under the bed near the power panel and move the wiring over. We head for Elkhart as soon as we take care of a few things in Maryland.

My question is: has anyone had this done? I'm hoping for a three stage converter that will eventually handle lithium batteries. We plan to put solar on the roof when we get out to the Portland area and may upgrade batteries then. For those that used AM Solar, what converter do they install?

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Stand alone converter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 07:35:03 am »
Hi John,

What is the brand and model number of your 2013 bad converter?  Unless he company went out of business, I would assume they replaced that model with a better version.

Our 2000 watt 2007 Tripp-Lite converter/inverter combo is very similar to THIS ONE SOLD TODAY.  The unit continues to do well for us, though when boondocking, we turn on the unit for 110V only when needed, otherwise we shut it down to save on battery reserves.  I don't think it works with Lithium technology because on page two in their literature HERE it states "DIP switches configure wet/gel charging profiles".  They might offer one like it that handles Lithium technology.  It might be worth a call to Tripp-Lite if the over-all concept interests you.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:39:28 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer