• PurchDate: October 2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2020
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Nightscape w/ Burgundy
Re: Options qustions...
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2019, 11:05:54 pm »
I'll be talking to the factory next week about some other stuff and will ask.
Can't imagine it will fit but sure would e nice.
Wish I had thought of it while I was there.
The 5.5KW is only about $500 more than the 4KW at most online sources.

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2019, 09:25:59 am »
Has anyone ever asked about or gotten a 5500 Genset instead of the standard 4K on a PC?
Wondering if that is something they can fit  onto a 2552 so two A/Cs could be run at the same time.

It is a bit larger....

4KW: Weight: 178 lbs (80.7 kg)
Size: Length 30.0 in (762 mm), width 19.7 in
(500.4 mm), height 14.4 in (353.1 mm)

5.5KW:
Weight: 288 lbs (131 kg)
Size: Length 33.6 in (853 mm), width 22.2 in
(563 mm), height 16.7 in (425 mm)
[/quote

Jim,  we are putting the two AC units to a real test in the central Texas heat.  We have a 3100 and are in campground with 50 amp service.  Basically, we are in the sun with a small tree that provides very little shade from the west setting sun.  We have not had to run both AC's and keep in mind that Im in a 3100.  We do have MagnaShades and I bought a windshield shade at Walmart (one of those accordion folding things...9 bucks).  In conjunction with the MagnaShades, it does an excellent job of keeping the front area from heating.   The AC's are exceeding my expectations. 

My opinion is that in cases where you can only run one AC and being in a smaller PC, you will have no problem keeping comfortable.   It is nice to have a site with 50amp service which allows you to select the AC to use.  When we are in the "living area", we run the bedroom AC and vice versa.

Cheers :)(:

Barry T
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:28:57 am by bftownes »

TzrNPeg

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/27/2018
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Mostly grey (silver?) and white with swirls
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2019, 10:20:37 am »
I've got a 2552 with one A/C and live in Florida.  I've been parked in the direct sun with no shade and I've been pleasantly surprised that the single A/C is sufficient.  I have double pane windows with dark tinting and use a sunshade over the cab windows.  I've also noticed that the outside wall in the cabinets stays relatively cool in the house area, compared to the cabinets in the cab.  There must be pretty good insulation in the house. Those cabinets in the cab need the silver insulation on the back wall. 

Peg

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • IntColor: Toast
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2019, 11:20:54 am »
Just got back from Florida this last week, including several days down through the Keys to Key West.  Combination of heat and high humidity down there was pretty demanding--glad to have had the capability of two A/C units (15K and 13.5K)--and used them both.  I'm sure a single unit would have pulled conditions down, but don't know if it could have maintained a really "comfortable" level during the peak periods.  As it was, we just set the T-stats on both units to 70 or so and let them cycle--kept things cool and dry inside, and we still had a significant cushion (by the frequency that the units were cycling on and off).

Mike

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2019, 08:04:10 pm »
Thanks all for the replies. I guess I won't drive myself crazy (or spend a ton of money ) trying to fit the larger gen set in.
I'd still consider it a nice to have just to keep AC options open as well as not needing to limit other loads while running one AC.
Also looking at the specs between the 4KW and 5.5KW, the larger unit has twice the displacement, lower RPM, and a few other features the smaller unit does not have.
I think maybe the 4KW is borderline adequate meaning it will be operating near its limits much of the time, whereas the 5.5KW  will not need to work too hard most of the time.
Hoping that would add to the longevity of the generator.

I sent an inquiry to PC today regarding the larger gen set, will keep you posted on their reply.

Barry: Glad to hear you made it to Texas okay. Hope you had an uneventful and enjoyable trip.
Mike: We love the Keys. Was there a few years ago when we rented an oceanfront condo with my daughter, son in law and two grand daughters. Can't wait to get back there in our PC.
Happy to hear the 2552 is working out well for you.
Peg: Thanks for chiming in. We too will be getting the double pane windows and Magna-Shades. I hope that in most cases we will only need to run one AC and plan to do as Barry mentioned, run the unit in the unoccupied space.
In extreme temps it will be good to have a second AC to help share the load and redundancy in case one unit fails.

Regards, Jim G.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2019, 08:06:16 pm »
Heard beck from Jeff Pressinell the CI salesman at PC that the 5.5KW generator is too deep to fit and would be up against the frame. Oh well.  :'(

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2019, 09:36:05 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the info. Not surprised to hear that the 5.5 just won't go.  Phoenix is a fairly narrow coach comparatively, and the trade-offs have to come from somewhere.  Seems logical that they would have included it as an option if they could have shoehorned it in.

On a positive note, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of the Onan 4K so far, compared to some of what I'd gathered from forum review (remember I had no RV experience prior to this year).  I've got about 60 hours on my 4K now, over-nighting at rest stops and Cracker Barrels, and it's been flawless.  Punch the button--it starts; punch the button--it stops.  Very nominal and agreeable running noise (from my perspective) inside and out.  Carries the A/C and all other power needs without a blip.  You can hear it load ever so slightly when the A/C kicks on, but the engine still sounds pretty effortless.  I've run it 10-hour stretches--believe it could have been 20 or 30 just as easily.  Changed the oil at 20 hours per the book, otherwise done nothing but push buttons.

All the best,      Mike

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2019, 07:35:06 pm »
Thanks Mike, glad to hear it is working for you.
No doubt I will be equally happy with the 4KW.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2019, 04:55:51 pm »
Hey folks wondering if any of you got a hitch upgrade when you ordered your PC recently.
I believe the standard is 5K and a 7K is available?

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2019, 08:53:53 am »
Hey folks wondering if any of you got a hitch upgrade when you ordered your PC recently.

When towing a car, there is virtually no tongue weight.  Unless you plan to tow a HugeAzz, loaded trailer, I'm of the opinion that a hitch upgrade is definitely not needed.

Barry T

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2019, 10:31:37 am »

When towing a car, there is virtually no tongue weight.  Unless you plan to tow a HugeAzz, loaded trailer, I'm of the opinion that a hitch upgrade is definitely not needed.

Barry T

The 'weight' referred to on the hitch is the total weight of the trailer (or towd) and its cargo, not the tongue weight.  Get that 4K pound Jeep behind you swerving back and forth after a quick steering input and it could be putting 7K of force on that hitch very easily as it plays 'crack the whip'.  Same with a tow dolly.  Ask RonD if the incorrect angle can affect things also..  :-D

My 'MediumAzz'  :lol tandem trailer maxes out at 5K, same as my hitch, but the tongue weight and closely spaced axles make the forces on the coach much more predictable when pushing the limit.  (Most it has weighed with the cart inside was 3900 pounds)

Seems like I am a 'safety wonk' this Sunday... could be worse.  (nod)  Go ahead and ignore me, most people do. I dont even travel with the radio on for safety.   Living here in Florida where many drivers are...um...'past their prime driving years' it must be closer to the surface of my mind. 

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2019, 10:38:09 am »
More is better, right?

I wonder if the PC frame extension was also beefed up to accommodate the increase.  If not, 7000 pounds of thrashing could twist the house.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:39:47 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2019, 04:17:58 pm »
I have not decided what I will tow for a dinghy yet so just thought as Ron said "more is better" would have to assume frame is up to the task or they wouldn't put it on there.
One of the reasons I asked if anybody has gotten one from PC is that during my visit to the factory they offered a 7K upgrade at a reasonable price but on a recent phone call with Barry he said that they farm out that work and I would need to pay the hitch shop directly. Just thought it kind of odd. I don't have to pay the frame stretch shop or Liquid Springs shop directly so am left wondering what is different about the hitch install.
Thought possibly it is to reduce PC exposure to liability on the hitch but with 7.5K lb difference between GVWR and GCWR there should be nothing controversial about a 7K hitch.
So has anybody got a 7K hitch on their PC?

Thanks and have a happy 4th of July!
Jim G.

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2019, 05:30:04 pm »
Hi Jim,

I do not have a 7K hitch on my 2552.  Interestingly, this is not an option that was listed on my "options list" when I worked with sales to spec my unit last fall.  I did intend to tow, and like you, I tended to maximize the factory-installed capabilities I knew I would use (such as hitch rating) as long as the cost seemed reasonable--kind of a "get it right the first time" approach.  I would have almost certainly upgraded to the 7K hitch if it were among my listed options or mentioned as an option.

That said, the Class III 5K Curt unit installed standard by Phoenix appears to be a solid and capable installation, and it is doing a great job pulling my 4K 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.  I am completely happy with the performance over 4000 miles of towing so far, but I would still have opted for the 7K capability had it been offered.

I'm unsure what to think about Barry's comment regarding farming out the hitch work; they previously did that work in house--at least for the standard 5K hitches.  As a matter of fact that 2013 video that Earl posted titled "Phoenix Factory Tour Days 1--6" shows the hitch welded on in that first (end) bay of the Phoenix shop.  When I was through their shop last August they still had their welding bay there in the same place.  Maybe they farm out just the upgraded hitch for some reason, or maybe they have had to change their production flow to move some of the chassis prep work to other vendors to be able to manage a higher through-put with their available shop space.  Even so, you would think that something as basic as installation of a hitch option would be just rolled up by Phoenix into your price.??.

Happy 4th to you as well!             Mike

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2019, 07:37:46 pm »
Yes, I think he did say it was just the upgraded hitch that was outsourced.
He mentioned the Elkhart Hitch Shop is right around the corner from PC.
Still want to confirm with them that it is put on before the house is built and not an aftermarket replacement.