• PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
Lawn chairs on ladder
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
Much to my chagrin I/we are thinking about hauling our lawn chairs on our RV ladder. Not really fond of the idea, but open to suggestions. With our 2100 space is at a primo and this seems like the only option.
Question is: do any of you haul your chairs on the ladder? If so what ladder rack do your use? I found two types, (https://www.campingworld.com/over-the-ladder-chair-and-bike-rack-27584.html, and https://www.amazon.com/Camco-51430-Clamp-N-Carry-Chair-Bike/dp/B000EDQR5U). But have concerns about both since we have the folding ladder.
Any thoughts or ideas other than store them some where else.
Thanks
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
Re: Lawn chairs on ladder
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 10:32:11 pm »
Lashing chairs to your ladder creates problems....
1. You are adding weight to the far back and the 2100 already has tail sage.
2. To fold up the ladder to get in cargo are or use it you must remove the chairs.
    (NOTE: Some people see no need for the ladder, but I have used mine a lot and cannot imagine not having it.)
3. They will pick up serious road grime even when covered as best you can. Also, wet if raining and not usable.

We put ours inside and they are not really in the way. Will attach a photo of when lashed by kitchen, but sometimes we lash them to the table leg. This keeps them dry and is easy to set outside the door when setting up camp.

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 11:53:01 am »
Unless already utilized to the max, the shower has a lot of room for travel storage, great for things you'll move outside anyway.  Our shower is the kitty litter station, laundry bag, holds the portable stick vacuum (very handy!) and a gallon or two extra water. Could hang more from the walls. We usually sponge bathe and shower at gyms or the occasional park anyway, but not that hard to shuffle things elsewhere for that needed shower.

Really light weight chairs most likely won't harm the ladder, I would not want something heavy bouncing up and down out there.  You could hang them there with the ladder folded up (ours is always up until needed.) Out of the weather sure sounds better.

RheaNL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:30:25 pm »
As an owner of a 2100 which we have put about 40,000 miles on, tail sage/drag is a never ending battle.  The shower is even further back than the galley and over the holding tanks, so more weight where you don't want it. Thus, the reason I now try and stow chairs (and inflatable kayak when we bring it) in the middle. Also, the fiberglass shower pan is not as strong as you might think and when stowing heavy items like chairs, it requires a great deal of caution to not poke a hole. This is the voice of experience!

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:55:56 pm »
yes need to keep the tail pounds to as light as possible.
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:38:49 pm »
I have brought this up before.  I wonder if it is feasible to add a leaf spring or two per rear corner to address a sagging PC.  Has anyone ever talked with a suspension shop to do that?  This way you have more of an E450 in back and an E350 up front.  It seems ideal for model 2100, but also the 2350 would benefit.  I can't imagine it being terribly expensive, or unsafe to do.  I imagine it would make it safer.  I would have looked into it for our 2350 but I fear after "the lift"  our rig would not clear our garage door.

Back in the late 60's my dad did something like it to his 1967 Plymouth Fury with rear leaf spring suspension.  He called them "helper springs".  It towed our little popup camper and carried our family of six all around the USA until 1976.  After dragging the rear of the car the first year, he got desperate and took it somewhere to get them installed.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:13:43 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 07:55:17 am »
As an owner of a 2100 which we have put about 40,000 miles on, tail sage/drag is a never ending battle.  The shower is even further back than the galley and over the holding tanks, so more weight where you don't want it. Thus, the reason I now try and stow chairs (and inflatable kayak when we bring it) in the middle. Also, the fiberglass shower pan is not as strong as you might think and when stowing heavy items like chairs, it requires a great deal of caution to not poke a hole. This is the voice of experience!
Everything we stow in the shower doesn't weigh 1/8 of what I weigh so I'm not worrying about the floor. Most extra items go in the toad now anyway, a great way to solve the weight and space problem...we can even hit a Costco and Trader Joe's on our way home! (neither are near us)
The easy way to reduce rear overhang weight is to empty the holding tanks before hitting the road.

RheaNL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 11:46:28 am »
As per Ron's comment about the springs.....
There are other threads on suspension, but brief comment here so as not to hijack the lawn chair discussion.
I have added air bags on the springs to my 2100 which help a bunch, raising the rear 6-8 inches..  At the time, two different RV repair places recommended the air bags over adding to the springs.  Can't remember why.

As to 2 Lucky's comment....
One ding in the base (from something not heavy but sharp) taught me only a few light weight and soft items in the shower which is now lined with a throw rug as additional padding.

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:40:13 pm »
There are other threads on suspension, but brief comment here so as not to hijack the lawn chair discussion.
I have added air bags on the springs to my 2100 which help a bunch, raising the rear 6-8 inches..  At the time, two different RV repair places recommended the air bags over adding to the springs.  Can't remember why.

As to 2 Lucky's comment....
One ding in the base (from something not heavy but sharp) taught me only a few light weight and soft items in the shower which is now lined with a throw rug as additional padding.

SO glad i look at the 'latest posts' notice...

What bags did you install? I have heard mixed reviews from air bags, I like your results. :)

And we use the shower to store stuff... Thank you Lucky2  and RheaNL for possibly saving me a repair. I have been negligent in protecting that floor...  tymote tymote tymote tymote tymote tymote tymote tymote tymote

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:17:20 pm »
Interesting.

Your airbag idea is versatile, but knowing my forgetfulness, I would damage my roof a/c unit at home on the top of the garage door opening because of forgetting to let the air out of the airbags just prior to entering the garage.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

RheaNL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 05:52:12 pm »
There is a thread specifically about air bags.

https://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php?topic=2567.0

Don't remember the brand of our air bags. They do make the ride a little harder, but not having the tail sage is worth it.

garmp

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • ModelYear: 2017 2100
  • IntColor: Stone
  • ExtColor: Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:50:35 am »
We prefer to use the old fashion webbed aluminum folding type chairs. Although very comfortable and do fold up, still a bit bulky. For the shower, I constructed a stand, if you will, of 1" pvc with two melamine shelves and a space for dirty laundry. Nothing heavy but still pretty full. Will just have to find a space inside the coach for the chairs, as I wan't happy with the thought of hanging baggage from the ladder.

thanks for the replies.
Bob is what we call our PC 2100, and he has taken us from campers to RV'ers and loving it.

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 12:35:06 pm »
I figure if the ladder will hold my 225# body it can handle 35# of lawn chairs. I've used the CW ladder rack for 3 years without any problems. I checked again today. No cracks and no loose screws on the ladder.

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 06:17:57 pm »
 I know this is a real late post, but I canít stand sitting in most of the camping chairs that are on the market. If you want a real comfortable chair that folds up compactly check out strongback chairs. Nearly as good as the chairs in our house.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:23 am »
I wish the PC spare tire storage compartment was more user friendly, top-hinged with struts, and also shaped and sized to handle the various folding chairs and loungers we all want to bring along.  Then we'd have the option to leave the spare tire home or even hang it under the vehicle like many other brands have.

I feel Phoenix missed the opportunity to do that when they redesigned the rear wall to exclude the spare tire compartment.

Hello you wonderful Phoenix USA company owners.  Are you out there reading this?  Try it again and you will offer yet another feature that places your company even farther ahead of your competition.

It is easy to be a critic.  Please don't take my comments harshly.  I do love our spare tire compartment.  I just think you should go the "next step" now to offer yet one more unique & desirable feature, especially with the softening RV market from over-saturation.  All owners of motor homes deal with the same serious irritation storing their chairs and loungers.  You would surely capture their attention with such a unique "spare tire or chair storage" feature.
:)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:26:41 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer