Hello Guest

Any full timers out there? Or long timers?

• 5 Replies

PamFT

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: None
  • Slide: No
Any full timers out there? Or long timers?
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:58:39 pm »
Is anyone in this group a full-time RVer?  If not full time, maybe half time?

I'm wondering how things hold up after long term use?  I've been full-timing almost 10 years in a Lazy Daze and am planning on getting a new RV. I have 99,500 miles on my 2008 LD.   I think I'm down to a PC (2552?) or another Lazy Daze. 

Thanks, Pam

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: Any full timers out there? Or long timers?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:30:29 am »
Hi Pam! We're full time in a 2552. Bought new almost 6 years ago. Close to 3 years full time in that time frame with lots of long and short trips during our grounding (family issues - never again). We have just under 40,000 miles on her. We went through the evil RV break-in time where you find RV component manufacturers knowingly put out some faulty products and you get to fight with them to fix under warranty (not Phoenix - Atwood, Dometic, Onan and so on).

No problems on the build. She's still solid. Any little damage was done by us. We aren't fix-it people but we do basic maintenance. Our one repair task is the house door latch recently got flaky. I bought a new keyless one and may have to hire someone to install if it requires too much modification. I knew it wasn't an exact replacement when I bought but didn't want the same lock. The old lock lasted for years so I can't complain.

The newer Phoenix Cruisers are getting better interior cabinet door latches so you shouldn't have to deal with those breaking all the time. Even so, we carry spares and can swap one out in minutes so it isn't a big deal.

We use everything! Shower, stove top, microwave, inverter, toilet (use it just like the one at home), awning, TV/sound system and so on. One item we haven't used much is the outdoor shower but we just tested our little solar suitcase and expect to be doing a whole lot more camping off the grid so that shower will help with grey water management.

We've talked to people in the campgrounds that say they have to repair something every other month or so but that's just the way RVs are. Not so with the Phoenix... Which is good because we can't fix most things.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

PamFT

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: None
  • Slide: No
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 03:21:21 pm »
Thanks for the info! 

I'm still looking at the pros and cons of both Lazy Daze and PC.  I think I'm headed back to the PC factory in early May. Then hopefully I will be ready to make my decision!

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:27:52 pm »
Happy shopping and good luck! I hope whatever you decide on is perfect for you.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Tom B

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 31Jul2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:38:55 pm »
We own a 2018 model 2552, the cabinet latches have not gotten better...replaced a half dozen on a two week trip last year and four so far a week into our first trip this year. Along with the screen door latch and the pull out couch foot rest cable twice now.

Having said that I think the basic "bones" of the unit is good, just seems that these sorts of things happen with RV's? Not sure how this stuff would hold up to full time use???
Tom

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 05:34:15 am »
Thanks for the info! 

I'm still looking at the pros and cons of both Lazy Daze and PC.  I think I'm headed back to the PC factory in early May. Then hopefully I will be ready to make my decision!

With over 40 years of RVing, including 10 years of full-timing, I always admired Lazy Daze motor homes.  I talked with many owners, but never got to see one inside.  When I decided to downsize, I spent some time on the Lazy Daze website.  The big drawback was that Lazy Daze did not accept trade-ins.  Then some friends of ours highly recommended that I look at Phoenix Cruisers.  These friends do their homework before any major purchase and I value their opinions. 

I then scheduled a trip to Elkhart and met with Barry Hyser.  We discussed my trade and then prepared an order.  Several days later, I was informed that my 17 year old Diplomat could not be accepted as trade.  Long story short....I decided to continue my purchase of a PC instead of a Lazy Daze.  My order was placed on hold until I sold my Diplomat. 

My point...I have no regrets.  I was able to make some significant, interior modifications.  I was able to return to Elkhart to see my PC during the build.   Finally, I think Earl's Youtube videos was another factor in my decision.  I became very familiar with PC's before actually seeing one in person. 

Good luck on your decision.

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T