• PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
Tire Pressure Gauges
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:44:55 am »
A lot of discussion on tire pressure gauges.  I have a thought and a comment.  My wife's car has an OEM TPMS.  It was showing that two tires were low.  As we are moving, all my gauges and stuff are packed in boxes.  So....I go over to my PC storage area and get the big, truck tire gauge.  It would barely register and was letting air OUT of the tire.  Something I read on another thread led me to believe that the truck gauge is not malfunctioning, but there is not enough air in the auto tire for it to work properly.  Could this be the case?  When I get back to my PC, I will test it.  Fortunately, there is an air compressor available to renters. 

Now I forgot my other point!  :beg  Oh....with all this talk about tire gauges (I know it was more about the accumulator tank than tires) I'm surprised that the topic of those "infra red"(?) gizmos that read tire temperature and anything else.  I have never had one and never really saw the need.  Do any of y'uns use one?

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T

fandj

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
Re: Tire Pressure Gauges
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:53:56 am »
I have a infrared temperature gauge I bought to keep track of wheel bearing temperatures on pull type trailers.  I have not had much need of it since buying the PC.  I did use it for fun measuring road, geyser pool and surrounding soil temperatures on a trip to Yellowstone.

We currently use TST pressure and temperature sensors on all 6 tires on the PC.  These just screw on to the tire valve stems and provide a continuous readout of pressure and temp.  It also provides an alarm if either parameter gets out of line.  It is eye opening especially under hot conditions to see how much they increase.

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 02:48:38 pm »
A lot of discussion on tire pressure gauges.  I have a thought and a comment.  My wife's car has an OEM TPMS.  It was showing that two tires were low.  As we are moving, all my gauges and stuff are packed in boxes.  So....I go over to my PC storage area and get the big, truck tire gauge.  It would barely register and was letting air OUT of the tire.  Something I read on another thread led me to believe that the truck gauge is not malfunctioning, but there is not enough air in the auto tire for it to work properly.  Could this be the case?  When I get back to my PC, I will test it.  Fortunately, there is an air compressor available to renters. 

Now I forgot my other point!  :beg  Oh....with all this talk about tire gauges (I know it was more about the accumulator tank than tires) I'm surprised that the topic of those "infra red"(?) gizmos that read tire temperature and anything else.  I have never had one and never really saw the need.  Do any of y'uns use one?

Cheers  :)(:

Barry T

Digital tire gauges are inexpensive and accurate from about 5psi to 150psi

Infrared temperature gagues are fine, work well, but only work when you are stopped.

Many times that's too late, but better than nothing.

In tire monitor systems are the best.  Add on external TPMS systems are ok (such as Tire Minder) but can give false alarms.

Don
---
Don and Patti

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:02:53 pm »
I prefer this type and model of gauge for the PC.  They also make a 0-60 which I use for regular vehicles.  My original of this model lasted for at least fifteen years.  Made in USA.   My new one croaked after two years, leaking in the hose from the chuck to the gauge.  Not made in the USA.  We went from Ohio to China.   

https://www.amazon.com/JACO-ElitePro-Tire-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B016R9KKCU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=CC5UUED59N0G&keywords=tire+gauge+pressure&qid=1553806408&s=gateway&sprefix=tire+gauge%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-7

I also use a digital infrared  thermometer.  Some things can go wrong with tires, increase the temp substantially and not show up in pressures to a great degree.   I simply shoot the temps on all six tires when stopped for gas or for a break.  It takes less than two minutes.

If you travel in the heat of the summer in a lot of really hot areas:  TX, OK, AZ etc., you will be surprised at how much extra pressure your tires build up.  I run five pounds less pressure in the summer time in these areas in particular, or any other area with high heat. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:05:10 pm by Doneworking »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:36:07 pm »
CLICK HERE to read about  my evaluation of all the tire gauges I collected over the years.

I had the exact same experience as Barry T (bftownes) had with his truck gauge.  I threw mine away.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 07:31:21 am »
Speaking of heat in Arizona; One of the parks had a warning sign about hiking in the desert with all the norms: hat, water, boots, seek shade AND a blurb saying- Don't lay down on the ground because the surface can be 30-40 degrees hotter than the air temperature.

That's incredible. They can get over 115 in the summer. Tack on that 30-40...  And they're talking earth not pavement.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:11:13 am »
2 Frazzled is right on target with my thoughts about heat and tires and pressure.   It used to be in very hot summers one of the local TV stations would send a weather reporter outside and fry an egg on a sidewalk.  Literally.   I remember those old broadcasts when I check my tires on a long trip in July or August!   True story. 

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 04:20:28 pm »
CLICK HERE to read about  my evaluation of all the tire gauges I collected over the years.

I bought the Accutire digital gauge to benchmark my 3 other digital Slime Sport Gauge p/n 20017. Both give identical psi measurements. The Accutire is bulkier but more ergonomic and easier to read.

When I installed the TireMinder TPMS I  had to modify the rear wheel covers using a drill motor and Bosch  grinding bit to accommodate the sensors on Duallyvalve stems.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:47:38 pm by CalCruiser »
Goin' where the wind goes...

fandj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 04:45:58 am »
Prior to installing the TST (Truck System Technologies) TPMS, we replaced the PC supplied valves on the rear with Borg valves.  This was certainly an upgrade as it is more reliable than the flexible extenders Phoenix provided.  In addition it made pressure checks easier and also provided a more substantial mount for the TST sensors.  Having the TPMS provides peace of mind while traveling.  Under inflated tires are a major cause of catastrophic tire failures.  This is the reason a tire pressure monitoring system is now required on new cars.

I have had two of the wheel pressure sensors and the monitor for about 6 years (installed on a previous camping trailer) plus 4 more sensors purchased about 3 years ago when we acquired the PC.  The sensors batteries have lasted about 3 years and take about 5 - 10 minutes to replace. 

This is a link to TST.  [size=78%]https://tsttruck.com/[/size]
I talked with TST by phone and placed my orders on both occasions and found them helpful and quick to deliver.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 05:50:45 am »
Fandj
Thanks for sharing. I am now seriously considering buying the TST. 

-Can you still check tire pressure with a regular gauge with the sensors on? 
-Have you compared the TST pressures with pressures from a tire gauge for the same tire?
-Do all six tires pressure and temperature show on screen while traveling? Or do you have to scroll or change screens? I found answer: the monitor scrolls through each tire.
- Do you remove the sensors in Winter due to cold weather and while in storage? Or just shut monitor off?
- Would this work with tires on a dolly and the rear tires of a car it is towing?

Seems like an awesome system!

Ron Sarzynski
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:08:14 am by Sarz272000 »

tswhitewater

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2018
  • ModelYear: 2018
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: desert sand/cherry
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 06:23:48 am »
I recently upgraded to the Borg valve stems after loss of air pressure, several times, due to loose valve extensions.   Borg valve stems are a welcome upgrade.   Iím using the EZ Tpms https://eezrvproducts.com/ on the camper and toad, the system worked flawlessly on our 12000 mile trip to and Alaska. I also use several digital accu tire gauges that Ron recommends.  They are easy to use and sccutate.

swiftboot

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10-31-16
  • ModelYear: 2351----2015
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:33:56 am »
I  use the eezrv tire system as well and it works as advertised.  I had them programmed by the company setting the pressure and temperature with the parameters they suggested.  Having never driven a dually with one of them flat or low pressure, I am not sure I would recognize the feeling while driving.  With the tpms one can see the temp and pressure of each tire hopefully in time to remedy an anomaly.  It takes a few minutes for the monitor to begin reading the info upon initial start up.  Once on, the monitor will indicate temp and pressure sequentially for each tire.  It will sound an alarm if one of the tires exceeds the pressure or temperature parameters.  The monitor can be mounted on windshield to easily see it underway.  While a sudden blowout can't be prevented, the tpms would hopefully give you enough warning of a tire problem that can be addressed before a failure.  When considering the damage a blown tire can do to the underside of the motor home, it's like an insurance policy.

Larry

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 11:56:39 am »
For tire systems, are you using flow thru sensors or cap sensors? Seems to me you can read tire pressure with flow thru.  The cap sensors require them to be removed,  it that true?

The borg and tts are comparably priced.  I requested from tts how often the sensors reports back data.  The borg is every 5 minutes. TTS has color display for additional $30.

Thanks for the info.  You may have saved us a big disaster!

Ron Sarzynski

fandj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 12:50:32 pm »
For tire systems, are you using flow thru sensors or cap sensors? Seems to me you can read tire pressure with flow thru.  The cap sensors require them to be removed,  it that true?

The borg and tts are comparably priced.  I requested from tts how often the sensors reports back data.  The borg is every 5 minutes. TTS has color display for additional $30.

Thanks for the info.  You may have saved us a big disaster!

Ron Sarzynski

I use the TST 507 caps rather than the flow through sensors. These require the cap to be removed in order to check pressure.  I use the Accutire electronic gauge.  I run 75 psi nominal in the front and 80 psi in the rear.  This is set in the morning before driving.  I checked my TST and Accutire readings this morning.  The TST readings were 1-3 psi lower than the Accutire.  When I removed the caps to use the Accutire gauge thus loosing pressure I immediately got a low pressure warning on the monitor.

I check the monitor before driving and fairly often while driving.  I have found a need to add a little air once or twice a year.  As you know ambient temperature effects that as well.

Fornutately I have never experienced a blowout but did experience a slow leak once which I picked up on the TST and was able to get corrected promptly thus avoiding damage to the tire or worse.

I have removed the caps in the winter to reduce battery drain but since we now use the PC in winter they are left on all the time.

As to using on a toad I have no experience but suspect a repeater might be needed because the tire sensors are further away from the monitor.  If I remember correctly I think TST says distances over 35í may require a repeater.

Fred

dogyard

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 08/2018
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Beige
  • ExtColor: Desert
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 03:43:16 pm »
Has anyone here had experience with PressurePro TPMS systems?  The local heavy truck service shop I use for my PC recommends these above any others and notes that they're the choice of most large trucking companies.  They've got a new model - PressurePro Pulse FX - that uses your Android or Apple device for display which is attractive to me as I use a dash-mounted Samsung tablet for GPS/trip planning.  Any feedback would be appreciated!