• PurchDate: 9/27/2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Mostly grey (silver?) and white with swirls
Another Mascerator question
« on: May 16, 2019, 07:18:26 pm »
We are currently in a campground that has full hookups.  If I open the grey tank but not turn on the pump, will the grey water drain via gravity?  If not, why not?

Thanks!
Peg

dogyard

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 08/2018
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Beige
  • ExtColor: Desert
Re: Another Mascerator question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:55 pm »
Earl from Phoenix used to post MANY helpful and informative videos - here's one that directly answers your question and you can search for others to help you out with other situations.

https://youtu.be/XVuTY5QZa5E

fandj

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:34:36 am »
Yes the grey tank will drain if the grey cut off valve is open.  When in a campground with sewer hookup we leave the black tank valve closed to prevent sewer gasses from coming up into the PC and open the grey.  About a day before we anticipate dumping the black we will close the grey valve.  The purpose of this is to provide some flushing of the mascerator hose after we dump the black.  For this flushing we use the mascerator pump for both grey and black.  We try to wait until the black tank is nearing full before dumping.  By leaving the grey valve open we have never had any water back up in the shower pan.

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:33:41 am »
With the gray valve open and the slinky hose not connected, will the gray valve drain through the macerator hose if the hose is connected to the drain?

Thx

Ron

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:16:20 am »
With the gray valve open and the slinky hose not connected, will the gray valve drain through the macerator hose if the hose is connected to the drain?
Yes in general.  I believe there is some variability by model and year though.  In the videos Earl clearly states that the gray tank will drain through the macerator hose and at the last Phoenix Cruiser Travel Club rally I was at a number of folks were doing just that.  However, it did not work on my 2017 2552.  When I was back at the factory last summer I asked about this and they changed my pipe routing to match the 2018 model and now it drains as advertised.  I'm not certain but I assume there was a change for at least the 2017 model year that prevented draining, but that was corrected for the 2018 model year, at least on the 2552.  If I remember right they also changed the macerator model for the 2017 model year so that might have been the reason it did not drain.

Mine now drains to about a half tank, never all the way.  But if the gray valve is open it never gets fuller than half either so that works for me.

fandj

• View Profile
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:19 am »
The grey tank drains through the mascerator hose if the grey valve is open in our 2016 model.  As Jatrax said the tank partially fills before discharging through the mascerator system.  We have never had water backup in the shower pan while the grey tank valve is open and the mascerator hose connected to the campground sewer.  The water level in the grey tank would build up the same level as bottom of the mascerator hose at its highest point.

TzrNPeg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 03:57:50 pm »
OK, I think you've answered my question.  My grey tank was about 1/3 full when we got here and I expected it to go to  empty right away.  It didn't.  But today, it shows empty so I guess it has to get to a certain level - maybe 1/2? - before it drains.  That's ok with me.

Thanks very much.  I really didn't want to connect the big hose that I keep "just in case".

Peg

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 04:58:06 pm »
I'm curious as to why you would want to do that. I would want to accumulate the grey water to be used to flush and clean the hose after dumping the black tank. Did I miss something?
Dougn

TzrNPeg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:30:08 pm »
Depends on how long I'm staying here and how many showers I take.  Yes, I let the grey tank fill the last day or two, but if I have a sewer hookup, I'm using as much water as I want.

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 07:42:49 pm »
Depends on how long I'm staying here and how many showers I take.  Yes, I let the grey tank fill the last day or two, but if I have a sewer hookup, I'm using as much water as I want.
That makes sense, thanks! I've never hooked up long enough to use it that way.
Dougn

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 06:30:24 am »
We tried leaving the grey open to drain through the macerator on our 2013 and figured it didn't work. After reading this I see it might be possible. I don't think we were that full when we tried. We'll be sitting in place for five weeks with full hookups so it is an excellent time to test it. This will be the longest we have stayed in place in our six years with the Phoenix. Might get some of those projects done.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net