• PurchDate: 10/2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: PC 3100
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Custom
New Limited Warranty Coverage from Phoenix Cruiser
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:33:24 am »
I obtained a copy of what appears to be a "New Limited Warranty Coverage" from Phoenix Cruiser covering all their coaches (copy attached).  This is not the limited warranty document that was included in the owners manual of the New Phoenix Cruiser I picked up in October of 2018.

Of major concern is the "Exclusions From This Warranty" section of Document.  Following is a partial quote from this section:  "The Warrantor further makes no warranty with regard to any vehicle used for commercial purposes, as a permanent or full time residence or as a rental vehicle, or any product not registered and not normally used in the United States or Canada." 

This warranty document goes on to say that "Full Time" for the purposes of this Warranty shall mean continuous occupation of the vehicle for a period exceeding 30 days of continuous use or 18 days per month in two or more consecutive months.

I have no idea when this new warranty document went into effect.  For those of you that recently purchased a new Phoenix Cruiser, was this new warranty document in your owners manual?

I want to make all Phoenix Cruiser Owners that have a coach still under warranty aware of the "Full Time" (as defined by Phoenix Cruiser) exclusion from warranty coverage.

hutch42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: Interested in the new Ford Transit Diesel models
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: New TRX
Re: New Limited Warranty Coverage from Phoenix Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 01:04:32 pm »
Bummer!  There goes the 6 week cross country trip in your new PC...at least under warranty :'(

Dave

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: January 2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 06:48:47 am »
no warranty if you actually use the coach. not a good policy.

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:38:31 am »
The other thing I noticed hidden in the fine print is whats considered commercial use.  "Any PC registered to an LLC shall be deemed commercial use".  Many owners will set up LLC's to avoid certain taxes levied in different states. I am not debating if this is a right or wrong issue morally, but it is legal in certain states, and has nothing to do with commercial use!

I guess the bottom line is that your 12 month, 12,000 mile "limited warranty" is truly limited to a total of 228 days, with no more then 30 consecutive days, or 36 days over a 2 month period of use during the first year.  You'll have to employ a statistician to keep track of use the first year.  Can you imagine the questions asked on a warranty claim? :help  Would not think that PC would have a Robert Mueller team ready to investigate.

Hell of a sales tool.  Makes me think twice if they ever fully develop the TRX.  Will have to bring a black magic marker and pen to strike certain wording in the warranty!

My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:07:51 pm by hutch42 »

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:03:51 am »
I knew some RV dealers stated full time use voided the warranty so I specifically checked that prior to purchase. Phoenix would have been cut from my list at the get go. We had to shop insurance also to make sure full time use was covered.

I wonder if that change is due to the roll out of the TRX. I imagine with the seating capacity and fridge for drinks it could winds up as an"Uber" type "limo" service or mini "party bus" perfect for that bachelor party night or bar hopping marathon.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:46:27 pm »
(Quote) I knew some RV dealers stated full time use voided the warranty so I specifically checked that prior to purchase. Phoenix would have been cut from my list at the get go. We had to shop insurance also to make sure full time use was covered.

I took a look at the other smaller class B+ makers to see if anything unique in the warranty's.  Nothing really, other then they are all longer then PC.  Really don't understand why they are doing this.  See attached.

Hutch

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:48:28 pm by hutch42 »

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38:43 pm »
Notice it's only for the "body structure" which I find very interesting.   I wonder if they consider cabinets, countertops, windows, battery tray, plumbing lines (both fresh and waste) valves, flush lines, etc. and/or storage compartments part of the "body structure."

Likewise with their wiring.
---
Don and Patti

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 09:10:10 am »
I'm sorry to see the change. As full timers it definitely takes a new Phoenix off any future purchase list. We bought new, with warranty, because we were clueless about RVs and are not fix it people. We made sure they covered us as full timers. We did have a lot of issues our first year but they were almost all vendor products covered under that manufacturer's warranty. Phoenix had installed them correctly, they just had faulty internal parts. Kermit actually stepped in to help get our furnace fixed even though it was definitely an Atwood issue. He contacted his Atwood rep and suddenly all confusion evaporated and it got repaired. Our biggest Phoenix issue was a leaking slide and it took a while to find the right solution to make up for a bad slide design but they figured it out and fixed that. Everything else was minor and fixed quickly.

Since we intend to stay full-time, the new warranty would be void within a month and useless to us. I guess we'll keep "Spirit" going as long as feasible then buy used or do another warranty check to make sure we are covered if we decide to buy new.

I'm an"overly" honest person so in good conscience I'll also have to make the warranty issue clear when people in campgrounds ask about the rig. Many in big rigs covet our 2552 and we show it all the time but since a lot of them are snow birds or are on trips longer than 30 days, the warranty would be useless to them to. Makes no sense to me.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 09:27:19 am »
I was just reading that attached warranty and and I think it says you have to take it to the dealer you bought it from to have warranty service done. Since all sales route through Camper's Inn now, do you have to have it serviced by them? Do they have service centers?

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 03:35:40 pm »
I was just reading that attached warranty and and I think it says you have to take it to the dealer you bought it from to have warranty service done. Since all sales route through Camper's Inn now, do you have to have it serviced by them? Do they have service centers?

Campers Inn has 22 locations from Maine to Florida.  Only 5-6 sell PC's so not sure all of their locations will work on as of yet.  The home office will work on and I believe it states in the fine print that you can have other RV repair shops work on with prior approval from home office.  This only if you are not near an authorized repair center.

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 05:31:12 pm »
Gosh... am sorry to hear of this Warranty change from my favorite company. Not a good thing..
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 08:42:09 am »
Sad I guess and guessing they are not the only ones. For me I could care less, there is no way I would buy a new Rv with the endless used units available with so little use.  However I appreciate those that just have to buy new to keep those used units coming.

hutch42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 10:43:18 am »
Sad I guess and guessing they are not the only ones. For me I could care less, there is no way I would buy a new Rv with the endless used units available with so little use.  However I appreciate those that just have to buy new to keep those used units coming.

Unfortunately PC's main competition has been bucking the trend on warranties.  Of the five smaller boutique class C and B+ builders PC seems to be going the other way.  Lazy Daze still has a 1 yr unlimited mileage warranty.....Total different animal there.  The other three have been increasing there warranty times.  See attached.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:29:59 am by hutch42 »

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 05:51:50 pm »
I chuckle with these warranties policies from MANY companies.   
WHY, because most are exacterated.   Meaning,
Meaning.... only if your in a position to have your needs SERVICED . 

Guess we much  be aware, of the Location, and What Hoops we have
to Jump Through to have this terrific Warranty actually be able to perform.

Just saying... Please check the "fine print" as you already know.

Just a reminder,

Denny and Barb
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 05:03:11 am »
Wow. This is very sobering news. But very timely for us!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but as I read it the *only* two things covered by the PC warranty is "body of this recreational vehicle"  and "custom paint" (listed under 'Warranty coverage, Summary of warranty". All other parts are warrantied by their respective manufacturers, if at all.

The body of the recreational vehicle is covered against 'substantial' defects... like if it falls off? Panel delamination is not uncommon, I see it often. It also does not stop the use and function of the rv, only the cosmetic appeal. So... I would NOT find it out of line a judge would find that the delamination of the layers NOT to be a SUBSTANTIAL defect, but only a cosmetic defect. And since only materials and workmanship 'Attributable to the manufacturer' is covered, I suppose if they got a bad batch of glue, and applied it in the proper manner, and it failed causing panel delamination...or worse... not covered. They didnt make the glue.

Custom paint warranted for 90 days. Wow. I have sprayed a few BARRELS of clear through a gun.... the only defects you would see in the first 90 days is how bad it was sprayed. The quality of the prep work, and undercoat materials quality will take far longer to show.  I think 90 days is a very safe warranty on their part.

When I offer a guarantee on my work, it is a promise to the customer that I have faith in my work, and the materials I used. The longer I have this warranty in force, the more confident the customer can be. 

This warranty sure sounds like PC is happy the check clears before problems erupt.  :-[

We just sold a business building and a vacation house. We initially planned this to be the time we commit to getting our new RV, after learning what we do/dont like in our 2350. (A 2551 on the ford chassis was the choice, btw)

We are waiting now. Let the money grow for a bit.  I want to see what the next few years look like for PC, and how you folks with new rigs make out. I think we have a good, proven rig right now. No wonder used prices are rising so quick.