• PurchDate: May.2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
water overflow leak
« on: May 20, 2019, 11:50:17 am »
An issue I haven't dealt with to date (since purchase) is that the water overflow (located on the passenger side next to the gravity fill) routinely leaks water out while traveling. It doesn't cause a large loss of water from the tank as some have experienced with the water syphoning out, just some water that leaves water spots down the side.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution? Thanks!
Mike & Pat Astley,

2 Lucky

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 02/27/18
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Re: water overflow leak
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:37 pm »
I think this is normal, just shows that the tank was full. It will slosh out until it is no longer full.
Dougn

Syd and Margo

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 9/11
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:45:27 pm »
It happens to me a lot when filling on sloped driveway.  After using some water it goes away.
Syd

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:16:41 am »
I appreciate the replies but since on my previous RV that had a vent the same height from the tank and never had water flow out of it that I saw, it would seem there may be a fix for this.
Mike & Pat Astley,

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 09:16:17 am »
Mine does the same. I had always thought it was due to the distance from the tank but I guess that isnít the case.

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 02:15:39 pm »
I appreciate the replies but since on my previous RV that had a vent the same height from the tank and never had water flow out of it that I saw, it would seem there may be a fix for this.

Gandalf

That is perfectly normal.  If you wanted to remove the plywood platform from the passenger side bed, you would see the inside of the passenger side hookup.

Essentially (at least on my 2551) the overflow tube attaches slightly higher on the tank than the fill tube.  Thus, when you fill until the overflow bleeds water, the fill tube is mostly full (as is the water tank).

When you drive with the tank full, the water sloshes and pushes a small amount out the fill tube.  This is especially true if you make a left turn, thus centrifugal force "pushes" the water up the fill tube and out the air vents.

The only way to stop that (that I am aware of) would be a flap valve on the fill tube and/or a fully sealing cap on the fill tube.

Take a 1/2 to 1 gallon of water out of the tank by running the sink for 30 or so seconds (after you fill the tank) and the sloshes should no longer be an issue.

Oh.. One more reason for the leakage, in the spring most faucet water is really cold so while sitting in the tank, warms and expands.. Raising the level in the tank.  Again, perfectly normal and not something to worry about.  But if it concerns you... Draw that 1/2 gallon or so and you should be fine.

Don
---
Don and Patti

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 04:22:31 pm »
Don, thank you for your reply. My only concern is that it leaves ugly water spots on the side of the RV. Unsure whether the water will cause unequal fading of the paint.The loss of water seems to be negligible,

I have had the boards off of the bed to see the set up. It does seem natural for water to travel up the path and yet I never had that experience with the Born Free which had a similar rise between the tank, fill and overflow/vent.

I will look into ensuring a good seal on the fill cap. Couldn't find any usable suggestions about the overflow other than one could create a "race way" of extra tubing to eliminate the straight shot that currently exists. I am unsure whether this might cause a venting problem.

...Mike
Mike & Pat Astley,

2 Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 06:01:57 pm »
Since you've brought up water spotting on the side below the water tank filler door, I can't help but notice the spots on mine every time I walk by it now. I was happy to ignore it before... Being a older unit, the finish isn't perfect to begin with, so the water spots sort of blend in.

If only going for a few days, I only add enough water for the trip so it isn't always an issue.
Often I need to leave home with a full tank tho.

I urged the little screen out of the overflow and looked through all of the junk drawers for a cork to just plug the hole while en route. But that did create suction in the system when running the pump for a minute or more.

Since the filler cap has a hole in it where the cap leash pierces the cap, and there is no gasket on that cap, I thought that there might be enough air to allow for pump operation. Not so.

I did find that a 1/4" ID tubing fits snugly in the hole. The 1' piece I had laying around coiled well into filler compartment. At least the water will have to work awhile before it finds its way to quick-dry on the paint.

I wonder if this will work???  It does not interfere with pump operation.  But I'm not going anywhere for 10 days or so to see for sure if it stops the slosh.

If not, I bet a few feet coiled under the bed would do the trick.

Dougn

gandalf42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 06:48:15 pm »
Very interesting idea! Thanks!  2o2
Mike & Pat Astley,

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 07:34:14 pm »
Dougn

Coiled under the bed?   Think filling and the overflow tube.    You really don't want water under the bed with the heater inverter, etc. That are also under the bed.

I guess another thought is... Do you avoid rain?  Do you wax the paint?   I personally can't see anyway of avoiding getting water on the outside from pretty much any source unless you want to park it in a sealed garage and never take it out.

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, I just figure getting the outside of the RV wet is part of using it.
---
Don and Patti

2 Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 06:34:23 am »
Dougn

Coiled under the bed?   Think filling and the overflow tube.    You really don't want water under the bed with the heater inverter, etc. That are also under the bed.

I guess another thought is... Do you avoid rain?  Do you wax the paint?   I personally can't see anyway of avoiding getting water on the outside from pretty much any source unless you want to park it in a sealed garage and never take it out.

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, I just figure getting the outside of the RV wet is part of using it.
My bad, I wasn't very clear.
I would replace the current overflow tube with a longer, say 3' piece that would still connect to the outside. That's what would be coiled under the bed. No water under the bed.
I only look stupid...
Plus, all water is not created equal. Rain spots wash off easily, it is soft water. The hardness and types of minerals in your water supply determines how difficult it is to remove those spots. And yes, a good polymer paint protector like Dry-Wash helps make it easier.
Dougn

donc13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 08:39:36 pm »
True, rain as it's falling is pretty clean and pure, but that changes the moment it hits the roadway and gets onto a vehicle and splashed back into the air.   Or rooster tailed by car/truck/semi tires.

My only point, and it is only my thoughts and experience... everyone else's thoughts and experiences may be different and just a valid as mine..... Is that the amount of water that leaks from the fresh water tank is insignificant and easily cleaned if your vehicle is washed often.   If the RV has fully body paint, it is automotive paint and any decent car wax (including wash & wax solutions) will keep it looking good.  If it's fiberglass, it's gel coated and just about any fiberglass cleaner will keep it looking good.

When you're on the road, sit back, enjoy the drive and scenery and don't worry about a few ounces of water getting on the side.

Just my thoughts, Your Mileage May Vary.
---
Don and Patti

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 05:09:47 am »

My bad, I wasn't very clear.
I would replace the current overflow tube with a longer, say 3' piece that would still connect to the outside. That's what would be coiled under the bed. No water under the bed.
Dougn

We did travel with a full fresh water tank once, and it did slosh outside. Since then, we just keep ~10 gallons in there for on the road use, as we seem to be finding water where we camp. But when I get paint on it, the spots will bother me also!

Thinking on the vent idea.. why not just drill a hole in the floor, and run the end of the vent out there?  Have the outlet in a protected area, and put a pressure washer soap inlet filter on to keep the 'icky' stuff out. As long as the vent fitting is on top of the tank it wont siphon out.

https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-60-1683-Replacement-Pressure-Chemical/dp/B00HSHMI4O/ref=asc_df_B00HSHMI4O/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194944285088&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7218518253760216563&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011833&hvtargid=pla-312521117015&psc=1

NO more water spots on the side.  (exactly) 

2 Lucky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 05:58:36 pm »
Great idea...I wonder why PC doesn't just do that!
 tymote

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2019, 12:08:49 pm »
Great idea...I wonder why PC doesn't just do that!
 tymote

Possibly a rule concerning where potable water tanks can get contamination. If you were driving down a very wet road and the passenger used the water you might be able to pull in some contaminated spray?

Or maybe it just adds another part, and one more hole to drill, increasing build cost.  (WH)