• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Electrical problem
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:38:46 am »
2011 ó 2552. The outlets for the tv and DVD player as well as the outlet in the dinette are not receiving power.  This is the case with or without the generator. I have not checked it while connected to shore power.  There is full power (115) coming off the breaker. I have pulled both outlets to ensure wiring had not come loose And checked for power.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas of where to look or what to try?

Joseph

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
Re: Electrical problem
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:35:11 pm »
Ok so I tested the outlet at the dinette with a meter and it only shows 90 volts. Plugging in a led lamp you get a slight light of the bulb. The connections in the outlet are good.

Does anyone know if the current runs through the inverter prior to going to some of these outlets? If so Iím guessing maybe my inverter is going bad?   

Also is there a sub panel anywhere after the inverter by chance?

Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:52:59 pm by Joseph »

gandalf42

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May.2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
  • ExtColor: 2 Tone Graystone/Nightshade
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 12:54:45 pm »
Does anyone know if the current runs through the inverter prior to going to some of these outlets? If so Iím guessing maybe my inverter is going bad?
/quote]

Depends how it is wired. They ran the ac through the inverter for (at least) some of the outlets in my RV. They can (but don't need to) do that for the outlets not hooked to the inverter. Are there any outlets with the correct voltage?
Mike & Pat Astley,

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:31:36 pm »
Yes, all the others are fine, itís just the two outlets. Both outlets are powered by 12 volt, gen or shore power. Iím getting 116 volts at the breaker but only 89-90 at those two outlets.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:35:56 pm »
Suggest you step back and think it through without too many variables.
1) Hook up to shore power
2) Shut off all breakers
3) Turn one breaker on at a time and test each outlet so you understand which outlets are on which breaker
4) Number the outlets or otherwise mark them either on the outlet or a chart and record the voltage at each
5) Cycle through each breaker recording the results
6) You should now have an accurate map of what is going on

From your map you should be able to reach some conclusions: which breakers are affected? all or just some? Is the voltage consistent at all breakers and outlets?  Or is it different on some?

This process seems tedious when all you want to do is 'fix' the issue.  But unless you really have data showing what is going on you will just be guessing and running around trying things hoping something magically works.

If no clear pattern develops you could try the same process on generator and again while on inverter power only. 

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:37:52 pm »
Both outlets are powered by 12 volt, gen or shore power.
If those outlets are powered when on 12 volt only then they are running on your inverter.  Can you access the inverter and test the output there?  If you have reduced voltage at the inverter then the logical assumption is that the inverter is bad.

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 01:58:28 pm »
I do not have access to shore power so that option of checks is out.   I have checked every other outlet in the unit and they all read fine. It only two that are affected. Both are useable (when operating correctly) through all power sources. I have 116 at the breaker but only 90 as stated at those two outlets. Hence why I was wondering if the current goes thru the inverter after the breaker which would lead me to believe the inverter is going bad. Iíve had that bed apart 4 times today. Sure wish there was a access panel, what a pain.

Iíve got no issue ordering in a new inverter if thatís the issue. Just donít like throwing parts not knowing for sure. I canít think of any other explanation to the voltage drop other than the inverter but Iím out of my expertise by many many light years.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 05:15:28 pm »
Joseph, if you have isolated the issue to just two outlets then I doubt all that testing is needed. 

If you get 90 volts on generator at those outlets and 120 volts on the other outlets I would say that indicates the issue is with the inverter circuit.

The only other test I can recommend is putting a meter on the output contacts of the inverter.  That would tell you if its the inverter or something downstream.  But anything downstream that I can think of would either be a wire break (no voltage at all) or a dead short (popped breaker).  So while I would do that test, at this point I would say with 90% confidence it is the inverter going bad.

Do you know what model inverter you have on board?

Syd and Margo

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/11
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 08:15:56 pm »
On my 2012 PC 3100 the outlets you are having problem with are powered by my inverter when I use it.  Could be problem from inverter.
Good Luck.  Keep us posted.
Syd

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31:33 pm »
My inverter is the xantrex xm 1800.  Iím pretty confident itís the inverter. Iíll have shore power on Tuesday but I cant see it making any difference. Iíll wait till then and after Iíll figure out where Iíll be along the trip and have a new inverter sent ahead. Being without tv is no big thing for us, we don't use it much.

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 06:56:57 am »
I believe those outlets go through a GFI outlet in the bath. Check that, hit test and reset. Measure voltage in and out if that didn't fix it. Note a loose connection could be the cause of voltage drop and could be a fire hazard.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 07:22:21 am »
On our 2013 2552 the kitchen and bath outlets are also on the inverter. If I'm reading correctly, those are testing fine so that implies the inverter is fine.

Now for wild guesses - IF those other outlets are fine and IF the wiring runs from under the bed, up over the door to the front cabinet and around... I'd guess an issue in that front passenger area of the rig.

Our inverter items in that area are the DVD & TV outlet. Our wing wall outlets are not on inverter.

Our direct to battery 12v items are the round 12v outlet in the front cabinet and all lights.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 08:11:05 am »
All the Gfi outlets are fine. Itís only  two of the 5 outlets up front. However they are not all on the same circuit nor are they all capable of running on battery. All connections are clean and solid.

No fear of fire, Iíve thrown the switch so those two outlets are dead. Iím going to call the xantrex tech and see what they have to say. Iím still leaning towards it being the inverter but but but but but.

Iíll post how it turns out. Or doesnít .

CalCruiser

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: November 2015
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2003
  • IntColor: Cherry / Beige
  • ExtColor: custom dark shadow grey & blue jeans metallic stripes
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 01:00:57 pm »
It looks like you already found the problem. Try isolating the inverter by disconnecting the 110v bus and measuring the voltage on the output terminals. While you are there check the terminal blocks and wires for corrosion or loose connections.
Goin' where the wind goes...

Joseph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 12:50:54 pm »
Final.... there is a breaker on what would be the right side , so underneath. It wouldnít hold when reset. On the front when new it has an outlet which PC removes, caps the wires and tucks them in the corner. One of the scotch locks came loose an it was shorting.  All good once again and hopefully the inverter will be good for some years to come.  Thank  you all for ideas and input!   Itís ver much appreciated.