• PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
Re: Roof Air Conditioner
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 08:58:06 am »
TN.... Did you find where the condensate was /is running?

Nylon wire ties work great by sticking them in the a/c drain to unclog.

Barry T

I removed the cover from the AC unit. The coils on the backside were filthy but the coils at the front where the condenser is was clean. I cleaned everything up and made sure the condensate drain was clear. That drain is on the driver side of the unit so now I at least know where to look when itís running. However right now we are in Port Dover, Ontario with nice breezes blowing off Lake Erie. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s with no humidity!  Wonderful weather, so I havenít had the need to run the AC so far.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:40 pm »
My husband refused to go anywhere requiring AC because of the noise. Since we live in the Rocky Mountains, it is usually not a problem.  However, since we plan on attended the Phoenix reunion in Charleston, I needed to com up with a plan. We just installed, at great expense, the Houghtn AC unit. It was developed in Australia and is sold in the US exclusively by Advanced RV in Ohio. There are a couple YouTube videos about the sound...9 decibels quieter than the next best (which I think was the Coleman). Was $2,100 plus $250 shipping to Denver. Cost about $500 to have my excellent small RV shop in Denver install. If you got to Advanced RV in Ohio, costs about $2,700 installed--so more or less a wash.  Required getting a separate thermostat for the furnace. When the owner of the RV shop (who originally thought I was nuts to replace a perfectly good AC at such great cost) called to say it was installed and working, he said, "My tech is standing here with icicles hanging off his beard and was able to listen to his iPod while int he RV." Owner was so impressed, he was going to look into becoming a US distributor. Have not been anywhere really hot overnight to test the true efficiency, but what we have experienced so far in testing and just cooling down for a lunch stop or when arriving at a campground, has us so glad we spent the money.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: Hoping to own a PC soon.
  • Model: 2552
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:38 pm »
RheaNL, that is great news to me!
I just ordered a 2552 and asked PC to credit me for the Dometic air conditioners and I will provide  two of the Houghton units purchased from Advanced RV for them to install.
Barry said he would be happy to let me be their Guinea pig.  :)
The Houghtons are not cheap but all of the limited info I have gotten on them is very positive.
Sounds like your husband and I have a bit in common when it comes to noise tolerance.
I hope you enjoy yours and hope your husband will be happy with it.
Please provide feedback as you gain more experience with the unit.

Regards, Jim G.

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 07:16:40 am »
We have been getting ready for a trip the last few days and playing with the AC in the driveway. We will be camping at 9,100 ft. so will not need AC there. It is so QUIET compared to the Dometic. Other features you will love....
Inside it is almost flush with the ceiling.
There is a giant LED temperature indicator on unit so you can see at a glance your current temp.
It is even quieter than Dometic when sitting outside the unit.
Works with a remote control. I put the storage pocket by dinette, but I've added some Velcro on the back to hang by bed at night.
Our first big test will be a week in the Black Hills in July.

jim.godfrey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: Hoping to own a PC soon.
  • Model: 2552
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 06:56:45 pm »
Wondering if the Advanced RV air conditioner is also a heat pump.
Haven't seen any reference to that feature on the Advanced web site, but all the Houghton brand units I can find on the web ( in Australia ) have reverse operation capability.
Pretty sure Houghton is the source of the Advanced RV units.

Does your unit have a heat mode?

Thanks, Jim G.