• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/30/19
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011-2552
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
I am at a Campground with only 20am 110 volt outlet. I have never used just a 2o amp or 110 outlet, I have the 30amp to 110 volt 20amp adapter but not sure what can I turn on and not Turn on.not sure how much power can draw?

Man small
Why Fall?

Skies Call
That's All

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
I think you cannot run the air conditioner without 30amp service. Other stuff seems to run on our 2552 with only 15amp service, so 20amp should work well.
John and Carol

hutch42

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: Interested in the new Ford Transit Diesel models
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: New TRX
If its a 20 amp service, you have 16 amps which is 80% of the 20 amp breaker to use.

So, your converter will draw anywhere from 2- 6 amps depending on state of battery. Reefer is okay...maybe 3-4 amps.  Lights and water pump okay a few amps.

Weve camped for days with 20 amps.  Just dont use a hair dryer, or run HW on 120V.  Furnace would be okay if everything else not on.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
20 amp generally means one high use item.  Microwave or hairdryer for example.

You might be able to run the AC.  Actually you can almost certainly run the AC but starting it might be a problem.  It will take significantly more power at startup than during running.  If nothing else is on and things go right it will likely work, but it depends on your individual unit.  Some start 'harder' than others.   But be prepared for popping a breaker.

And test the extension cord you are using for temperature.  Make sure it is not overheating.  20 amp means you should have at least a 12 gauge cord.  But a long cord even if it is 12 gauge can still start to get warm.  Check both ends and the cord itself until you are sure it is handling the load.  If you are using your regular 20 amp cord and an adapter your should be OK, but if you an extension cord check carefully.

bftownes

• View Profile
    • The Road Goes on Forever and the Party Never Ends
  • PurchDate: September 27, 2018
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Toast
What Jatrax said....in my previous motorhome I was able to run the a/c on a regular 20 amp plug.  In cooler times, I could run a small heater.  With the popping of breakers you will soon learn what you can use, how, and when.   

Here is a chart for amps.  I am no electrician, so putting it simply, make sure the appliances you are using total less than 20.  You will also find a little variance in these types of charts.

Coffee maker - 8.3 amps
Converter - 8 amps
Hair dryer - 9 to 12 amps
Microwave - 13 amps
Refrigerator - 2.8 amps
Roof a/c 13.5 amps
TV - 1.5 amps
Toaster - 8 to 10 amps
VCR - 2 amps
Electric skillet- 6 to 12 amps

Cheers  :)(: :)(:

Barry T

PS....Here is the short article on basic RV electricity
http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformation/rvmaintenance/basic-rv-electricity.asp
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:16:03 am by bftownes »

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
We get stuck on the 'end of a cord' a few places, and here is a method to get the AC working without blowing a fuse -

1) turn the FAN ONLY on to high.

2) after it is running for a few seconds, QUICKLY turn the switch to low AC.

This has allowed us to run AC off a 20 amp breaker, 15A outlet with a ~50 foot 12Ga cord at the house. Trying to start both the fan and compressor at once blew the breaker each time. Using this method, we had the AC running for a few days in the driveway before the trip.

We do have the 13.5K AC, not the 15K. The extra size may make or break this method...dunno.

Frige would run on propane with it, but not 110v with the Air Conditioner. It would run for a while, but we would the breaker tripped sometime later.

As far as an extension cord overheating, if you are not using the entire length, uncoil it to allow it to radiate heat. A loose bundle on the ground may cool OK,  but I use the cord reels and have had a few 'wake up' calls when I saw how warm the cord got on there.  :beg

I now see that you are using your shore power cord with an adapter. So extension cord is HD enough, DEFINITELY check the adapter several times when you start using it. I have had a couple cheap ones that dont engage fully, and can roast the cord end.  >(

I finally made up a proper 30A service for the house, but the above method would run the AC for a few days while Mrs V got the coach ready for the trip.

romstead

• Rob and Lisa. Sookie, Katie on the road
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/30/19
  • ModelYear: 2011-2552
  • ExtColor: Sand
we did ok. on the 110 20 amp service last night . I tipped the breaker once using the Microwave. I did not know what beaker to check but found it was the outside breaker on the post. that tripped. We learned to turn everything off first then use the microwave and it worked ok. Thanks for all the great tips. Today I pulled in to a campground with a 30am service after pugging in my surge protector in to the 30amp service  I was getting a open ground indication intermittently. on my surge protector If I moved or leaned on the attached plug while it was in the socket  one way I got a a good 3 light signal if I moved it the other way while still in the socket I got the open ground indication. any idea what is going on?
Man small
Why Fall?

Skies Call
That's All

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
Loose receptacle on the post most likely. Perhaps a loose wire, or perhaps the receptacle is old and worn.  In any case complain to the camp host.  That is a safety issue and they should be quick to address it.