• PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Considering Four Down Need Input
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 11:46:13 am »
For me personally, It would be hard to buy a brand new expense 4x4 tow vehicle and immediately tow it, having lots of road debris messing up the paint work and all the rest a tow vehicle goes through.  It was mentally easy for me to accept our 3 year old purchase with 27,000 miles for less than half the negotiated price of a new one.  But that's me with my thinking, and I know I generally think differently than most people.  Heck, I don't like slide outs.....that should explain a lot.  roflol
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 06:35:03 pm »
Ron , I agree besides the cost of depreciation as well.  I canít help but think of the 2012 Pc someone just noted going up for sale with 15,000 miles on it. Those are some costly miles and yet a bargain for someone else.  I really dislike buying new and I understand others like that new car smell and the money doesnít matter. Itís all good, and works for everyone.

So when the new bronco comes out, Iíll go look at it. Iíll oooooh and ahhhhhh and get it out of my system.

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 12:26:44 pm »
The greatest toad ever built was the 1989-97 Suzuki/Geo/Chevy Tracker.  Small, high clearance, 4x4, convertible, 4 passenger, conventional drive train, easy to work on, barely 2000 lbs, and reliable.  So they turned it into a station wagon and then wondered why people quit buying them. 

Meanwhile, 25 billion dollar's worth of motorhomes are cranked out every year, but it's never occurred to the auto industry to create a purpose-built vehicle to tow behind them.

Weird but true!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 09:22:31 pm »
BlueBlaze,
Last year I sold my 94 year old mother's cream puff 2002 Chevy Tracker 4x4 with only 22,000 miles on it.  I worked hard to get $5,000 cash for it.  That vehicle was a real gem.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:24:17 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

swiftboot

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10-31-16
  • ModelYear: 2351----2015
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 03:52:50 pm »
I been following this thread closely.   I have almost decided on a 2010 liberty limited 4wd although a sport would have been fine.  It's a bit heavier than a sport but only slightly.  The liberty will double as farm vehicle as well and daily driver.  I have a p/u truck that stays offroad for the dirtier jobs.  My immediate concern is rigging for towing, its beyond my pay grade (base plate and breakaway brakes etc).  I think I will go with ready brakes elite with surge brakes.  If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate your advice.  Also have not a clue of labor costs of installation?  My apologies if this appears as a hijack of this topic.

Larry

mikeh

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 02/2019
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Toast
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 08:29:30 pm »
My immediate concern is rigging for towing, its beyond my pay grade (base plate and breakaway brakes etc).  I think I will go with ready brakes elite with surge brakes.  If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate your advice.  Also have not a clue of labor costs of installation?

Larry

Larry,

I can only be of marginal help (if any) on your question since I use a different system, but maybe some of my info will apply.  I posted detailed information on my tow set-up earlier in this topic (second message, I think).  I personally recommend it highly based on my experience, but there are several very good tow packages available.  Based on what I can see quickly online regarding the NSA Ready Brake products, it looks like their tow bars are priced about the same as other top-line bars from Roadmaster and Blue Ox; they use the same base plates as other bars--so that cost is the same; their surge brake system at $400+ costs less than half the $1000 of some other good permanent installed brake systems.  Rear lights should be the same for all (depending on the light arrangement used).  There are quite a few "incidentals" required in installing a tow package--and I assume those end up being about the same for any system installed.

10 years ago I would have done my own tow installation without thinking twice about it--like I did everything else of a mechanical/electrical nature.  Yeah, to save some money---but primarily to be confident in the quality of the job.  Now, on the plus side of 75, and with much more limited flexibility and access to tight places, my fallback is to go to a professional operation to try to be assured of that quality job.  Dan's Service Center in Elkhart specializes in all types of hitch work and has developed a great reputation.  I dropped my Jeep off, took the new PC over, and two days later left them a check for $4.8K; with parts and components totaling $3400 and labor running $1400.  I'm sure they had a profit margin on some of the incidental components, but their invoice price for the big stuff (tow bar, base plates, integrated brake system) was very close to internet prices.  They provided high quality work, two-day turn-around, thorough walk-through and test drive, full support for all the component warranties and their labor, and even furnished me a loaner car while they had mine.  I'm not sure how that labor cost tracks with other quality shops but I bet it's pretty close for a turnkey job--between base plates, brake system and rear lights, there's quite a bit of work involved that needs to be done right to deliver a system that will be reliable over time.

All the best,        Mike

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2019, 07:57:27 am »
Larry,

Just sharing here that for our 2006 Jeep Liberty, it was easy installing the two tow bar brackets.  The tedious part was cutting out the low indents on the plastic front bumper, making sure to follow them accurately to look nice.

The 2008-2010 Liberty was restyled, not sure how different it is.  CLICK HERE for the Roadmaster base plate and installation guide for it.  The Roadmaster base plate kit for it HERE is very similar to ours HERE.  At a glance they look the same.

Roadmaster offers two different base plate kits, pending the design of your tow bar.  Make sure to select the right one to review.

I share this only for comparison.  I am not trying to promote the Roadmaster product.  Many here love the Blue Ox product.  It's worth the effort to compare them and decide which is best for you.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:08:28 am by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer