• NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/16
  • Model: 2910
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cream
  • ExtColor: brown
dehumidifier in rv while stored
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:23:39 pm »
hi  Any thoughts about putting dehumidifier in rv when in storage. I store inside, but very humid. It is in a metal building in a area that is low and is little more then a swamp. I was thinking about a unit that removes 70 pints a day and pumps the water out. I was thinking about draining into the shower drain. thanks

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: dehumidifier in rv while stored
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 10:48:51 pm »
Oh yes, that is a great idea to keep your interior dry and free from developing mold and mildew when storing in high humidity.  I would consider a means of a continuous drain direct to the outside, even if drilling a hole in an inconspicuous place in your PC floor to drain out on the floor of the storage building.  My brother is setup that way using a large room dehumidifier for his motor home and it works great.  It gets warm inside from the heat generated from the dehumidifier, but dampness is so much worse than warmth.  In cooler weather it warms the interior nicely.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:07:15 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 10:06:00 am »
Sounds like South Texas to me!   I would put a small dehumidifier in the shower pan and I would think the 35 gallon gray tank would take care of a lot of water.   You could also hook up a garden hose to the rear dump and let the water run into the shower pan, down into the gray tank and out the hose.   If your rig doesn't have one of these you can get them most anywhere: 

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Durable-Connection-Connection-39463/dp/B000BQKBP2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=133V69UIDMCGA&keywords=rv+dump+cap+with+hose+fitting&qid=1562684662&s=gateway&sprefix=rv+dump+cap%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-3

We had a small house in the hills of Arkansas, bought a little dehumidifier at Sears and left it running in the bathtub.   It was incredibly humid in that area several months of the year and it kept the place really nice for our recreational trips over there. 

Paul
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:13:06 am by Doneworking »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:35:23 am »
My thoughts.....

A large room dehumidifier is best placed in the center of the rig in the largest open space (the living area) for maximum removal of moisture throughout the interior, as well as spreading the generated heat throughout the interior.  The exhaust should be aimed at the adjacent room (the bedroom) to encourage dry air in that direction.  Hopefully the dehumidifier will draw down enough moisture to cycle on and off rather than running all the time.

I am not sure how efficient any kind of dehumidifier is when placed in the shower pan in the bathroom.  It would surely get quite warm in there too.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TzrNPeg

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 9/27/2018
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2019
  • IntColor: Greystone
  • ExtColor: Mostly grey (silver?) and white with swirls
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:47:59 am »
I have a dehumidifier sitting on the kitchen counter, draining into the kitchen sink.  I have it set to 50% and it is doing just fine.  BTW, I'm located in Florida, so we definitely DO have humidity.

Peg

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 12:11:26 pm »
I have a dehumidifier sitting on the kitchen counter, draining into the kitchen sink.  I have it set to 50% and it is doing just fine.  BTW, I'm located in Florida, so we definitely DO have humidity.

Peg
2o2
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Volkemon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 31, 2017
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Light Maple
  • ExtColor: White
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 01:18:53 pm »

Peg

AMEN to that!   With our skylight in the bath having a new leak, I am going to be putting one in there tonight.  Reading this thread, may make it a normal item when she is parked.

We were just in Brooksville at The Sertoma Youth Ranch for OBJ. BEAUTIFUL area over there.

BlueBlaze

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 06/2016
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • IntColor: birch
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 08:33:59 am »
I wonder if DampRid might be enough to control the musty odor, without the need for power.  I haven't noticed the need in our PC, but our bathroom closets get musty-smelling and DampRid seems to cure it.  You'd be amazed at how much water that stuff pulls out of the air.

jatrax

• John and Carrie
    • View Profile
    • Zigzag Mountain Art
  • PurchDate: November 2016
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Graystone
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 03:33:50 pm »
Ron,
I think technically you are correct that the center of the rig is better.  But in the real world "humidity" like "heat" will move from a higher potential to a lower one.  So I think it would be fine to use either the shower pan or the sink as a dehumidifier location.  These RV's are not that big and as long as there are no closed doors things will equalize quite quickly.

BlueBlaze, I believe DampRid is fine for short term storage but at some point it will get saturated.  I've no idea how long that might be though.  It has the advantage of not needing power.  And the dehumidifiers have the advantage of running as long as they have power.  So in different situations one might be better than the other.

I just leave both roof fan housings cracked open a bit and that seems to keep things dried out well enough in my climate.  But in more humid locations I would definitely consider a de-humidification unit.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 08:41:41 pm »
Ron,
I think technically you are correct that the center of the rig is better.  But in the real world "humidity" like "heat" will move from a higher potential to a lower one.  So I think it would be fine to use either the shower pan or the sink as a dehumidifier location.  These RV's are not that big and as long as there are no closed doors things will equalize quite quickly.
I agree with you to a point.  But depending on the environment, it seems ideal to place the dehumidifier in the most effective/efficient location.....I assumed in the living room where a slide out is present.  Get the humidity out quickly near a main source of penetration.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 06:49:26 am »
Ron, again with the slide out? Unless your slide leaks, which has not been indicated, it is NOT your main source of humidity. When our rig is stored, the slide is in and those heavy rubber seals snug it all up. Severe storms don't push water in through it so why would general humid air get in there? Every issue on this forum is not because people choose to have a slide.

There is some level of air exchange in every dwelling or vehicle. Since the outside air is humid, some of that humidity will sneak into the rig. You will flush in the humidity every time you open the door. My wild guess puts general incursion more on the truck area, around the house door, and through the roof vents. Those three areas have air leakage. As for getting humidity out, I agree that the air will equalize so putting a dehumidifier in the shower or kitchen sink should work. I'd prop the shower door open if you go that route.

If this thread prompts you to check for air leaks, a simple method is to close everything, light a stick of incense,  turn one fan on high to exhaust air, Then move your incense around slowly and watch the smoke. You'll want to "outline" the windows, slide, other vents, and any areas you know or think there is an opening through the house "envelope" to the outside. This includes utilities, drain holes, etc.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 07:03:58 pm »
Every issue on this forum is not because people choose to have a slide.
Oh boy, I did not realize my comments and inputs were taken as such.  I am so sorry about that.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Rick Leddon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:25:09 pm »
The dehumidifier I bought was too big, unit the removes 70 pints a day. It lower the humihdity real quick, but hard to move around and does add a lot of heat. I am planning on exchanging to a smaller unit, but I was wondering if just running the ac may be a good option. Any thoughts? Thanks

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 11:39:40 pm »
Hi Rick,

Does your big 70 pint unit shut off after reaching the right dryness?  Set it so it does.  Then it would generate heat only when running.  Also make sure your rig is all sealed up tight, including roof-top vents and the dash set to recirculate.  You want to keep the dry air inside and the damp air outside.

Your roof top a/c unit likely uses a lot more energy and might never shut off during the summer.  You will also wear it out much more quickly.  Your 70 pint dehumidifier should not be nearly as expensive to run, nor to replace.

Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:49:04 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Rick Leddon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 07:09:49 am »
Thanks for the respond, I will stick with the dehumidifer.