• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Water pump replacements
« on: July 14, 2019, 08:20:15 am »
My water pump is starting to go south. As long as Iím replacing it Iíd like to upgrade it a bit. Has anyone replaced theirs and if so did you upgrade to a diff model or manufacturer?

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
Re: Water pump replacements
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 06:57:15 pm »
I had to replace ours last summer (2018) while we were boondocking in Northern New Mexico.  The pump was still pumping and making a terrible racket and was really losing power.  The trouble was that the head on the 3 gpm Shurflo that was original to the PC had, in my opinion, a defective design.  As I recall, the eight long, fine thread small diameter bolts that held the head to the motor threaded not into a nut but into the threaded eight holes.  The whole shebang was made out of some poor metal, probably aluminum.   What happened was the threaded eight holes simply "boogered" out, destroying the threads.   I tightened up the bolts but that didn't last but two days.   Luckily, a small town of about 500 people was down the road six miles and it has a great auto parts store that serves a large rural area.  They carry a few RV parts as well.  Would you believe, they had a little 2.3gpm Shurflo.   The box was covered with dust and they obviously had it on the shelf a long time and  had it priced at about fifty bucks more than the model is listed on Amazon.  I didn't argue, bought it and ninety minutes later it was installed and doing fine. 

I think(??) I posted on this forum about that a year or so ago and suggested everyone check their pumps to make sure those screws were tight on their pumps and had not started wallering out threads.   I fully intended to replace the new pump when we got home with a larger model, but never have and probably will not.   We mostly are away from hookups, can notice little discernible difference in water flow and are happy campers heartshower.

Incidentally, I kept the original pump and later drilled out the mounting holes, replaced them with a slightly larger diameter bolt, drilled through the wallered out threads and secured the bolts with a genuine nut and lock washer.  I carry this as a spare now and it works perfectly like new.   Sorry design, in my opinion, on the original pump.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 07:33:59 pm »
Incidentally, I kept the original pump and later drilled out the mounting holes, replaced them with a slightly larger diameter bolt, drilled through the wallered out threads and secured the bolts with a genuine nut and lock washer.  I carry this as a spare now and it works perfectly like new.
I like how you think....smart to rebuild it and keep it available.  I personally like to use locking nuts with those nylon inserts.  They never loose their grip.

I wonder if the pump installed in our 2007 model year has the same Achilles Heal.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 08:23:28 am »
Thanks, mine is on itís way out and I figured if Iím going to replace it that I might consider a bit stronger pump.

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 09:51:04 am »
Ron, that is what I used:  nylon insert lock nuts.

Paul