• PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sand
  • ExtColor: Full body paint, mostly silver - lower gray. No decals. No swirls
Build weight
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:39:18 am »
I was coming to the forum to report after a 4 corner weigh.  I saw there was a user referring to another link from his post about slideout issues.

For a number of reasons it was awhile before I was in a location to get a 4-cirner weigh on my 3100.  It would appear the design on this makes it hard to NOT exceed the rear axle limits.  I did have the leveling Jack's on mine.  This was under the previous Dale's group but at the time I could not get a clear answer about the weight that added.  I also have two solar panels that are towards the rear, again don't know the weight.  But to meet corner weight limit, can't have fresh water and certainly need grey and black empty.  And don't even plan on packing the rear storage areas.

For the sake of the future purchasers, wondering if there are folks who had the for corner weigh before they started actually using their RV's.  Perhaps we could get those posted here.

Even better would be if PC could give those values on a generic build of ach model and then have available the weights of the components for their standard options.  That would allow a person sine important info as they were contemplating their build.

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
Re: Build weight
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 02:26:40 pm »
Did you have the 3100 empty of all "things" except people, fuel, oil and propane when you had it weighed?

Do you have a rear mounted spare tire?  If so, that can add to rear axle load, especially on a 3100 with it's longer overhang.

---
Don and Patti

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 05:43:41 pm »
I sold my 3100 a year ago so donít have any records to refer to but I did get it weighed on both axels but not each corner. The front was slightly below the 5000 pound limit and the rear was at the maximum of 9500 pounds, in fact it may have been 50 pounds over the maximum. I just recall that I was at the limit but not over to the extent that I would worry. I was fully loaded for travel, full tank of gas, 1/3 tank of water, 3/4 tank of propane, empty black and gray tanks, cargo trailer attached with 350 pounds of tongue weight, it had leveling jacks, 2 ac units with 50 amp service. I used the rear outside storage compartments for anything lightweight and bulky that would fit, the mid compartments held the power cords, bottled water, tools and heavy items. Inside the coach all front compartments were used for heavy items, books, canned goods, water bottles, soda,etc. Take your time, plan and repack if necessary. We miss our 3100, great floor plan, comfortable, reliable and drove great.
2014 Sprinter 2350

catsaplenty

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/17
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: Sand
  • ExtColor: Full body paint, mostly silver - lower gray. No decals. No swirls
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:21:21 pm »
Appreciate the thoughts.  My interest in starting the post though was to suggest better information on 4 corner weigh of the various models before options would be useful information for prospective buyers.  And of course some information on the weight of the offered options.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:24 pm »
Hi catsaplenty,

I am not sure if you read my recent post on higher rated tires for the heaviest of PCs.  CLICK HERE to read through it.

If I owned an extra heavy PC 2910 or 3100 with 2 or 3 slide-outs, I would immediately replace the tires with those that are rated 500 pounds more.  That increases your tire load carrying capability by 2000 pounds in back, and 1000 pounds in front.  People have experienced tire blow-outs with their extra heavy 2910 and 3100 PCs.  Not just the loss of the tire, but the explosion shreds the tire having rubber & steel belts slashing around doing serious damage to the PC including the plywood floor.  The damage is extensive.

Your real world application over-weight condition also exceeds the weight of the E450 frame, but your tires are most vulnerable.  The chassis seems to be more forgiving in that regard since I never heard an E450 frame bending or folding or excessive flexing doing damage to the house itself.  I also heard the E450's rear axle itself can handle a lot more than Ford rates it for.  Apparently Ford built in extra margin into the E450 frame and suspension.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:31:24 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 07:09:44 am »
Ron,

My 2 cents

You are doing this forum a dis-service  by advocating that people overload their PC.

Putting higher load rated tires on does NOT increase the load capacity of the vehicle, individual axles, springs, shocks, sway bars, rims, etc.

The fact that you have "heard" Ford under rates their axles is no better than you had a dream about it. 

I am fine with heavier load capacity tires for added safety as long as you keep within cold pressure limits for the tires AND rims and keep axle and vehicle loads within their rated limits.

I say the above as a retired 26 year veteran police officer from a major city whose first 13 years were spent as an expert in vehicle serious injury and fatality investigations and accident reconstruction.
---
Don and Patti

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 11:15:32 am »
Ron,

My 2 cents

You are doing this forum a dis-service  by advocating that people overload their PC.

Putting higher load rated tires on does NOT increase the load capacity of the vehicle, individual axles, springs, shocks, sway bars, rims, etc.

The fact that you have "heard" Ford under rates their axles is no better than you had a dream about it. 

I am fine with heavier load capacity tires for added safety as long as you keep within cold pressure limits for the tires AND rims and keep axle and vehicle loads within their rated limits.

I say the above as a retired 26 year veteran police officer from a major city whose first 13 years were spent as an expert in vehicle serious injury and fatality investigations and accident reconstruction.
Oh gosh donc13,

I am misunderstood again.  (I surely could have been more clear)

I do not advocating that it is fine to over-load a motorhome.

Many people don't weigh their rig.  They simply put in what they need, pump up the tires to 80 psi and go.  Some owners may have weighed their rig years prior, but their current load is too heavy.  Maybe they bring some quests along for a weekend get-away and "weight" is not on their mind.  I emphasis "higher-rated tires" because that will be the #1 threat to their safety and that of their rig.  Having heavy duty "E" rated tires LIKE THESE with a 3195 pound rating and 83 psi max, will "make them much safer" during times when they are over-loaded and Don't Realize It.  Owning any motorhome that is consistently at the Load-Limit, there are numerous and natural fluctuations on what you bring and also what you buy on your trips and bring home.  Stronger tires helps to address those fluctuations in weight and also weight distribution.

You bring up excellent points on safety of which people need to be made clear about with regard to intentionally over-loading their rig.  My comment about the Ford chassis (seemingly designed with margin) was misleading.

Ron Dittmer
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:10:15 pm by Ron Dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 05:03:35 pm »
Hi catsaplenty,

I am not sure if you read my recent post on higher rated tires for the heaviest of PCs.  CLICK HERE to read through it.

If I owned an extra heavy PC 2910 or 3100 with 2 or 3 slide-outs, I would immediately replace the tires with those that are rated 500 pounds more.  That increases your tire load carrying capability by 2000 pounds in back, and 1000 pounds in front.  People have experienced tire blow-outs with their extra heavy 2910 and 3100 PCs.  Not just the loss of the tire, but the explosion shreds the tire having rubber & steel belts slashing around doing serious damage to the PC including the plywood floor.  The damage is extensive.

Your real world application over-weight condition also exceeds the weight of the E450 frame, but your tires are most vulnerable.  The chassis seems to be more forgiving in that regard since I never heard an E450 frame bending or folding or excessive flexing doing damage to the house itself.  I also heard the E450's rear axle itself can handle a lot more than Ford rates it for.  Apparently Ford built in extra margin into the E450 frame and suspension.
Ron, you make a very valid point, clearly understood. The higher rated tire will be safer and may make the difference in avoiding a blowout which is the most common problem.
2014 Sprinter 2350

Sarz272000

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: August 2018
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 10:58:22 pm »
Catsaplenty
If available and if you donít mind can you post the results of your four corner weigh?

Thanks

Ron S

RonJ

• Looking forward to being a PC owner
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2910
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 05:05:25 pm »
Not sure if this is related to this thread, but just yesterday I was at the RV show in Virginia and one of the Campers Inn reps told me that Liquid Springs are no longer offered as an option on any model larger than a 2552 because of the added weight.
RonJ

WillLloyd

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb/2017
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Grey
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 06:19:43 pm »
Since we have a 2910 I have to ask, how real of an issues is the tire blow out thing?  When I search the forums I find maybe 2 or 3 discussions of blow outs and some of those are for the recalled tires.

I understand what you are saying about weigh and capacity, but find it hard to believe PC is selling $150K rigs that you cant use (exaggeration).

Not trying to argue, just trying to determine how real the problem is.